History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Ivans War
Thommie
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
entire network: 189 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 08:27 PM UTC
Hi all!
I've just finished an intriguing book by C.Merridale named Ivans War. It is about the dayly struggles faced by the common russian soldier (the titular Ivan), his ambivalent relation with the communistic party and ideology and the culture at the front. Along the way the book dispells some myths, attempts to explain what led to some of the well known examples of crimes commited by these men and how, to this day, the frontovki are used for propaganda purposes.

A truly intruiging book.
clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 774 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 - 05:55 PM UTC
Thommie,

You got my attention with this one. I missed it earlier, I have just finished ordering it from Amazon. I'm always interested when a book has been written by a trained historian who uses archival records, interviews, and other primary documents to inform their analysis. I will let you know what I think after I have given it a read.
Thanks,
Rick Cooper
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
entire network: 2,093 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 - 07:42 PM UTC
Please do tell us!

The initial post has put this book under my attention, so I am anxious to see what others think of it.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 01:20 AM UTC
I have it.I read it a few years ago,it didn't really grab my attention,I was excited by the title and the jacket comments,but I don't remember it clearly.I think I just got thru it and never picked it up again because it didn't make a big impression on me.Just my opinion,maybe I'll have to have another look at it.
Thommie
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
entire network: 189 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 09:19 PM UTC
Anthony: I can imagine you feel that way. At first I expected a lot of stories about offensives, millitairy operations and such. But it is much more about culture at the front and how the comm. party used propaganda and such for the war effort.

Am curious about what others think..
Brian_Moore
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 139 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 06:20 AM UTC
My wife bought me this book for Christmas..I have not gotten to it yet as there are few in front. Forgotten Soldier, In Deadly Combat A German Soldier's Memoir of the Eastern Front (the translator of this one is one of my history professors...Derek Zumbro) and Kursk..but I do plan on reading it.

I have recently gone back to school..ha a 44 year old college student (old man of the class...what a trip!) to finish a degree in history.