TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
El Alamein - In the Line of Fire Movie
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 461 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 09:00 PM UTC
I just viewed an Italian WWII movie regarding the action leading up to and including the battle of El Alamein. Great movie, and the feel of the film was more about the deprivations that the Italian soldiers went through at the hands of their own high command. As entertainment I was impressed, as to historical accuracy the verdict is still out. Has anyone else seen this film?

EL ALAMEIN
la linea del fuoco

Robert
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 12:31 AM UTC
Is that the one where M113 stand in as british tanks and a lone M13/40 and Semovente da 75 attack next to "Italian" M24? If so, I have seen part of it. Apart from the M24 and M113 the film looked pretty accurate equipmentwise. As for the deprevations of Italian troops that certainly is a fact. Couldn't say anything about the timeline or events depicted as I haven't seen the whole movie. So you would recommend I see the whole thing if I can?

Cheerio!
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 03:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Is that the one where M113 stand in as british tanks and a lone M13/40 and Semovente da 75 attack next to "Italian" M24? If so, I have seen part of it. Apart from the M24 and M113 the film looked pretty accurate equipmentwise. As for the deprevations of Italian troops that certainly is a fact. Couldn't say anything about the timeline or events depicted as I haven't seen the whole movie. So you would recommend I see the whole thing if I can?

Cheerio!

Stefen the AFVs were used at night and with no real harm to the story, I doubt there are any Matildas or Semoventa da 75 armor in any number to be used. Still the movie was worth watching and I have been known to pick a movie apart on its inaccurate portrayals or equipment.

Robert

gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
entire network: 795 Posts
KitMaker Network: 45 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 07:02 PM UTC
Is that the one with the Italian officer who gets captured and then escapes ? And has a scene where the british hand-grenade German prisoners to cover up that they had found out about the fake guns ?

If so I thought it was quite a good movie. I don't know how historically accurate it was though the DVD I had claimed it was based on real events ( but then so was Saving Private Ryan if you count D-Day actually happened ).

Still it was interesting to see it from the Italian point of view.
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 07:22 PM UTC
OK, so it must have been a different movie then. I'll keep that one in mind!

Cheerio!
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 07:33 PM UTC
Here is the site to watch the movie at youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzyPMTAfQ1A

Robert
elph
Visit this Community
Seoul, Korea / 대한민국
entire network: 319 Posts
KitMaker Network: 46 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2010 - 11:38 PM UTC
Yeah I saw this movie on cable not so long ago and laughed when I saw the M113s. Other than that I believed it was an Italian production and showed their side in a good light; it wasn't such a bad movie I believe.