TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
The Pacific ..another Tom Hanks HBO series
pzcreations
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,106 Posts
KitMaker Network: 858 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 07:59 AM UTC
Not sure if anyone heard about this, just saw a brief preview/interview on HBO last night.. a new mini series like Band of Brothers coming in March called 'The Pacific' tells a story of GIs in the Pacific in WWII. Looks to be real promising ! Especially from Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg.
http://www.hbo.com/events/pacific/
walkingcorpse
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 70 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 09:05 AM UTC
hopefully this wont ignore the contribution of other countries in the pacific war...
padawan_82
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 817 Posts
KitMaker Network: 122 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 09:42 AM UTC
sounds good, loved band of brothers, and it's about time that the pacific took some of the spotlight it seems this is an often overlooked arena. in terms of films, tv, and dare i say it modelling.
LuckyBlunder
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 273 Posts
KitMaker Network: 107 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 06:54 PM UTC
Thanks for the heads up, Tim.

From the slideshow, it looks like it's mostly Marines. I hope it pays some homage to the New Guinea campaign, which was mostly Australian and has become something of a forgotten backwater. However they do it, judging from Hanks/Speilberg previous work, it will be excellent.

I'll have to wait till the DVD comes out cause I don't get the premium chanels.
calvin_ng
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,024 Posts
KitMaker Network: 270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 06:59 PM UTC
Yeah I think they should show some footage about thr British too. They and th aussies both fought bravely against all odds
bilko
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 584 Posts
KitMaker Network: 200 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 01:18 AM UTC

From what I have seen in the papers over here (and of course everything in a newspaper is gospel truth ) it is the story of some Marines (some of whom may be related - brothers or something I'm not sure now) and follows them through the Pacific campaign. So I would assume that it would cover Guadalcanal to Okinawa and I would expect that the Aussies, Brits, US Army etc will only get a passing mention if they happened to be in the same part of the Pacific as the Marines were at the time.

I believe the "in Australia" parts were shot in Melbourne even if they were trying to depict Brisbane. Not too sure where the action footage was shot though.

Word is it is coming out here in February.

Brian
grom
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 214 Posts
KitMaker Network: 35 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 07:49 AM UTC
I liked Band of Brothers, however like a bridge to far it made out the British to be incompetant also rans I wish that film producers would be just and give credit were it is due not just to the British but to all our commonwealth brothers in arms.
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
entire network: 795 Posts
KitMaker Network: 45 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 10:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I liked Band of Brothers, however like a bridge to far it made out the British to be incompetant also rans I wish that film producers would be just and give credit were it is due not just to the British but to all our commonwealth brothers in arms.

"A Bridge Too Far" was a British Film ( directed by Richard Attenborough ) and I believe the criticisms of the British cock-ups were reasonably accurate.

This one starts here next month and I'll watch it. If it tends to be US-biased I don't mind, I can see that like BOB the audience is principally going to be the US and the reality of the Pacific war was that it was really two conjoined wars with the US doing the island hopping whilst the Commonwealth fought on the mainlands.

From a personal point of view I'm interested because my mother was the product of a US serviceman and a local girl so I had forefathers fighting for NZ in New Guinea and the US in the Pacific and I grew up surrounded by war stories from both the RSA and VFW as a result.
grom
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 214 Posts
KitMaker Network: 35 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 03:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

"A Bridge Too Far" was a British Film ( directed by Richard Attenborough ) and I believe the criticisms of the British cock-ups were reasonably accurate.

This one starts here next month and I'll watch it. If it tends to be US-biased I don't mind, I can see that like BOB the audience is principally going to be the US and the reality of the Pacific war was that it was really two conjoined wars with the US doing the island hopping whilst the Commonwealth fought on the mainlands.

From a personal point of view I'm interested because my mother was the product of a US serviceman and a local girl so I had forefathers fighting for NZ in New Guinea and the US in the Pacific and I grew up surrounded by war stories from both the RSA and VFW as a result.

Its not the mistakes that are as you say were well documented that I meant, some of the characters implied that all the limeys want to do is sit and drink tea or were frightened to fire on an enemy tank because they might damage a building or in bob weve got to get the limeys out of arnhem, no doubt instances similar were acted out in thousands of little senarios all over europe during the war but to highlight them in a picture detracts from the overall bravery and gallantry of all those involved
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 05:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This one starts here next month and I'll watch it. If it tends to be US-biased I don't mind, I can see that like BOB the audience is principally going to be the US

Precisely...HBO in an company selling entertainment primarily to the US market. For better or worse, that market in very nation-centric,
PanzerMike
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
entire network: 298 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 12:57 PM UTC
Hey at least the Aussies get a mention - we Kiwis also played an important part in the pacific war and in north Africa and western Europe. It is tragic that even in our own country the efforts of our brave service people in WW2 is overlooked. For such a small country we have always fought above our weight and done a superb job.
kanook
Visit this Community
Australia
entire network: 5 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 08:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I believe the "in Australia" parts were shot in Melbourne even if they were trying to depict Brisbane. Not too sure where the action footage was shot though.

Brian

Im pretty sure they shot several beach scenes at Bribie Island (Queensland), i may be mistaken, but Im sure I remember seeing in the news a fair while ago about a war picture/series being shot on the surf side, My Grandmother lives there and we used to holiday there every Hols.

Does anyone know if this will include Fleet battles or is it just marine landings?

Would love to see a Modern Fleet conflict movie, CGI today would do a great job for encounters like Coral Sea or Leyte Gulf
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 09:32 PM UTC
We're actually getting it here in Spain BEFORE the U.S. (well a few hours 'cos of the time Zones ) It's being aired on Canal Digital and we'll have it on FULL HD,

As to it being filmed in Australia, it's absolutely correct. The former (Australian) owner of this vehicle:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/2844

Hired out several vehicles to the producers. I think this may even be present in some of the scenes as well... The Shermans used in the series were all fabricated in Australia as well...
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 05, 2010 - 11:54 AM UTC
I'm assuming that it will take a rather tradidional approach and follow one unit (Marine company?) from boot camp across the Pacific (see Band of Brothers, Big Red One, Sands of Iwo Jima) From this perspective, I would go into this expecting that the contributions of any other military force, British, Australian, Dutch, New Zealand, US Army and even US Navy will be minimized unless that unit was next to the heros in the line of fire.

When you get into the context of Band of Brothers, it's just Steven Ambrose retelling the oral history of a small unit within the larger scope of history. If that group shares a perception of the British as being purple with green polka dots (just to be outlandish) then the story they tell is that the Brits were purple with green polka dots. The actual picture of what was happening at SHAEF has little to do with their day to day existance.

My U$.02