_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
sanding in hard to reach areas
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 817 Posts
KitMaker Network: 148 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2003 - 10:07 AM UTC
How do you guys sand little crevices and othe hard to reach areas?
CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,936 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2003 - 10:22 AM UTC
Spend a fortune on jeweler's files and emery (sp) boards over the years. If I know it's going to be a tight fit that needs clean up, I try to clean it up before assembly then feather it in with one or both of the aforementioned.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2003 - 10:23 AM UTC
I get a cocktail stick, cut it at the right angle then i put a drop of superglue where I cut and glue some fine saning paper that I cut to match after glued. Like this you can reach almost any part of yopr model...
Ciao
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2003 - 11:07 AM UTC
i wrap a pice of snad paper around the handle of a paint brush or something small,.
thats the fun part about builkding models
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2003 - 06:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I get a cocktail stick, cut it at the right angle then i put a drop of superglue where I cut and glue some fine saning paper that I cut to match after glued. Like this you can reach almost any part of yopr model...
Ciao

That's a neat trick, Scoccia! :-) :-)

I'll remember to give it a try next time...

All the best

Rowan
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2003 - 07:11 PM UTC
I will definitely buy a hand grinder. Smalle one and can reach off limit places. The only problem is how to smooth it
DaveMan
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 137 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 05:43 PM UTC
I use several different tools. Nail files, homemade sanding sticks, small slivers of wood with sandpaper glued to them. I also use a few unique ones. Jewlers cord. A fine abrasive covered string that can be drawn along a surface. Luthiers nut files, too specialized and expensive to go out and buy, but, if you build guitars, ,and have a set lying around, a few strokes on the plastic won't hurt them too much. I have some welder's tip cleaning tools. these are basically like a small file, shaped like a pin or needle. . I also have a set of old dental tools that I have modified. I dippd them in superglue, then coated them with abrasive compounds. My Father does woodwork, and usesthe stuff to sharpen all of his carving tools. It comes in several grits. Pretty cheap, I think. I also took some small wires, guitar strings, dull X-Acto blades, and screwdriver tips, and coated them with the stuff too. Also a straight and curvrd awl that came with a screwdriver set were treated to the coating. There are very few places I can't reach with this arsenal.
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 02:54 AM UTC
Chisel and small Ball Peen hammer #:-)
 _GOTOTOP