_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
other dimensions of the hobby
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2002 - 02:57 AM UTC
It seems to me at one time,all one had to do was buy a kit,figure or armour,research the subject,and assemble and paint.There we all were,locked in our cubby holes,coming up for air now and again to eat, drink,and attend the odd model show,and in between taking flak from the other half.The main excuse was,"it doesn't cost very much sweetheart,and it keeps
me out of the pub".Not now! with a PC costing up to a thousand pounds,paying out to have a site maintained every month,every kit or figure you buy becoming more expensive
(mainly because only the best will do)not to mention all the aftermarket goodies.and to top it all up i am spending more time on this site,catching up on all the gossip and emailing,my workload has dropped.I must lay the blame on Mr Jim Starkweather for providing such an entertaining venue.All in all............ITS ABSOLUTELY BLOODY GREAT :-) :-) :-) :-) Thanks Jim, and all you lads,and lassie
Cheers
Arthur
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2002 - 12:49 AM UTC
hey arthur,
you speak for me and i appreciate your candor. this hobby keeps me out of trouble and this site keeps in touch with other modelers.

go celtic!
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 1,958 Posts
KitMaker Network: 720 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2002 - 02:15 AM UTC
Arthur you just took word out of my mounth!
DITO!
Cheers!
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2002 - 04:51 AM UTC
Just can't seem to stop ordering stuff. Heck I have enough models to keep me busy for 5 years.
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 455 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2002 - 05:11 AM UTC
Only five years, Sgtreef? You're slacking, dude. One's kit collection should always conform to the formula of:

x greater than or equal to 12 multiplied by N, Where "x" is the number of kits required, 12 is the Annual Constant of one kit per month, and "N" is one's expected life span.

This is to be considered an absolute minimum; serious modellers have collections amounting to 3 or 4N.....
Greg
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2002 - 05:36 AM UTC
If I used that formula... My life span would be very short

Matt
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 455 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2002 - 05:57 AM UTC
Well, let me give an example: If one expects to live to be 97, then the required minimum kit collection per the formula would be equal to or greater than 12 x 97, or 1,167 kits. Note that this is the simple formula; for the sake of domestic tranquility one can subrtract one's own current age from the projection to get the final kit number down (N minus current age). After all, most wives would blow several gaskets if told that the minimum kit collection is north of a grand. "Honest, honey, the rules say I HAVE to have this many!" :-)

OK, you all realize this is a joke, right? And I'm not an engineer, just a history geek...
Greg
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2002 - 06:54 AM UTC
I would have to say that the hobby has added to my life in positive ways. One thing you mentioned that my wife loves is that it keeps me at home.

As far as money its really not that expensive of a hobby. Its not cheap don't get me wrong but there are a lot of other hobbies that cost much more. My current project started with a $15 italeri model. From there I have bought a italeri and dragon weapons/figure packs, a PE kit for it, and some resin stowage from legend and AEF. I am going to put even more money into it before I am done. But heck, I have spent more than twice as much as I have put into this kit on single hunting or fishing weekends, or one trip to the slopes. If you run a good site on modeling I am sure you get into MAJOR costs increases that I don't know about so I can't coment on that. But overall, you get a lot of entertainment for your dollar in this hobby and some of the best stuff like this site is FREE (for most of us , sorry Jim. I actually hope your family can make some money from the site in the future, this is America after all and your hard work should pay off for you)
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2002 - 09:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If I used that formula... My life span would be very short

LMFAO!!! :-)

Me too, my wife would see to it!
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2002 - 09:32 AM UTC
Arthur
i resemble that remark
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 325 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2002 - 10:29 AM UTC
Yes, this is a great hobby, and an even greater web site for the hobby!! I'm glad someone told me about it back in Feb. :-)
 _GOTOTOP