_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Dolly trailers
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 10:46 AM UTC
I'm looking for some info and photos of the five ton S & P trailers and the Dolly wheels of The Vietnam era. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 11:04 AM UTC
Will this help? Dollies in Vietnam
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 11:44 AM UTC
Thanks Kencelot, I have that info from the ATAV site already. But I appreiate your effort to help me. I'm mainly interested in the dolly wheel set up. The hitch and air lines etc. I like to build different themes that you can't get in kits. I thought this one would be fun.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 03:45 PM UTC
Hey animal... as you are no doubt aware, I am enraptured with the M123c kit I just found on the internet. Me being me, I don't usually jump into things without a little pre-planning. So, do you always scratch build your trailers? Do you know of a reasonably priced one I could hook up to my future tractor? Not looking for a competition class version here , one tht is good quality, fairly straight-forward build and above all NOT EXPENSIVE.

animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 01:20 AM UTC
I scratch build most of the trailers in my projects. I copied the M-15a1 trailer from the dragon wagon kit to use with one of my models. An easy trailer to reproduce is the low-boy type trailer. You can get the ten ton wheels from the tank workshop to use on a trailer. The resin kit they sell comes with all the tires for the tractor and trailer. I use Evergreen plast stock for all my scratch building. It is inexspensive and I can get it at my local hobby shop.
darkstar
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 209 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 01:58 AM UTC
Hey animal
i see your at it again..the best place to find a dolly to measure up is a local trucking company..should be no differant than one used in the military..if you cant locate one..let me know..have a trucking company just down the street..i could go do some didgital pics and measure it up for ya..i also just did some measurements onna 20
' container similar to a military one..corragated sides..''give me a few days and i'll run up some drawings..as i was gonna do a couple myself..for a future pls project...this weekend i'm gonna take my son and measure up and photograph a 20' and a 40' container chassis.
the 40' will be a cobo...traile able to haul either container....also evergreen makes the side wall plastic for the container..i'm using item # 4530 metal siding.125 spacing...040 thick..well i got long winded enough...Ray.
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 03:54 AM UTC
Thanks Darkstar I could use the photos if you can get them. I use the Evergreen plastics for everything. They make about every simulated material you would need to build just about anything. By the way who do you haul for? I use to drive for the DOD . Was forced into early retirement after loosing my leg. Now I build models.
darkstar
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 04:43 AM UTC
used to be an O/Op for LandStar /Ranger..got retired when i became diabetic..while out on the road...now i do models..and write taxes for H&R block...
okies i'll get the pics and measurements for ya..dont know what kinda tires the army uses..but..my guess might be the same ones i sent ya
Ray
darkstar
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 04:49 AM UTC
hey Animal
heres a thought..we could start our own subject here for "Trucks is us"..think we could develop a lot of info for them what'da think
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 10:37 AM UTC
I guess we could. I don't know if any one else would be interseted, but I have a soft spot in me heart for soft skins. Trucks that is.
MAD_DUCK
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 434 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 03:32 PM UTC
Animal says:
"I guess we could. I don't know if any one else would be interseted, but I have a soft spot in me heart for soft skins. Trucks that is."

Count me in on that!!!,I'm a nut for army trucking.. I don't think there are many people as carzy about the M915 series of truck like I am
Vince
darkstar
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 12:39 AM UTC
oh contrare maddy
love the 900 series of big rigs....ya dont have to completely revamp a model for a five ton as you do 4 the m-54..still havent figured out how to do it..just a dumb a** i guess..even though i've seen numerous articles on it...guess i have to see it to know how to chop it up..i'll learn some day
Ray
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 04:08 AM UTC
Hey Darkstar go to my web page and look at the M-54 conversion album. I show some photos of converting the M-34 Revell cab to M-54 five ton.
MAD_DUCK
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 04:27 PM UTC
Darkstar,
For the M916A2 I'm building now I scratch built 95% of the model, and use parts off of old 32nd scale big rig kits have a look M916
As for makeing a M54,I've never cut up a M35 cab to make one.
Vince
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 01:44 AM UTC
Vince, I have seen you work before. Impressive. the M-54 cabs. What do you use? Are they resin or scratch built and M9XXX series mods? I modify the 2 1/2 ton cabs or use some home cast resin parts for the cabs. You build a mean looking tractor. I scratch build all my trailers. Check out my web page at the bottom. Again great work.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 03:01 AM UTC
You guys aren't the only ones here on site who build trucks - there are many more than perhaps you know...

Gunnie
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 06:43 AM UTC
That is an absolute fact Gunnie. I can attest to seeing a lot of different examples from you and a quite a few more modelers here on Armorama. This site has some of the most talented people, young and old alike, that I have found on any web site on the net. That is why I spend most of my web time on this site. I read and learn so much from the members here. I'm very thankful for finding this site,
MAD_DUCK
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 08:12 AM UTC
Yes, its starting to look like there are alot of people into military trucking. Just wish there where even more kits of them and more websites about them. I would love to see a kit of the new stwart stevens truck,not in resin but injection moulded and a injecting moulded M1070 would be nice too :-)
MAD_DUCK
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 08:20 AM UTC
Animal,
To answer a couple of your questions: The M54 cab I have is a resin copy of one a friend of mine in New York state made for me,I tried to talk him into selling copies of it but he didn.t have the time and didn't want to go through the hassle of doing that.
As for the M916A2 mods. just about every part on it was either scratch built or modified from 32nd scale truck kits or spare M977 parts. I still have along ways to go to finish that one and I do plan to build a trailer for it too.
BTW your tanker on your website kicks a$$ I want one too
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 10:31 AM UTC
Thanks for the kudo on the tanker. I am making some molds of the tank body to make it easier to reproduce. I have built two of these models for a couple of Nam era tanker drivers. I also have made molds of the M-54 cab. I don't like the way the fenders mold turned out so I modify the M-35 cabs for models tha I am commissioned to build for my customers. I use the cast resin one for my personal models. I like the M-966A2 tractor that you are building. Post some photos when it is finished.
 _GOTOTOP