TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Gods and Generals on DVD, any good?
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 02:53 PM UTC
I understand this comes out today on DVD. Is it worth buying or should I just rent it? I've got Gettysburg on VHS and I like it but I never saw G&G in the movies.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 03:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I understand this comes out today on DVD. Is it worth buying or should I just rent it? I've got Gettysburg on VHS and I like it but I never saw G&G in the movies.

Despite the reviews and the short run (did you think the cineplex was going to use up two movies worth of space for an ACW epic?) I enjoyed it agreat deal. The attacks on Marye's Heights at Fredricksburg rank with the great WWI (All Quiet on the Western Front, Paths of Glory and Gallipoli ) epics for the futility of frontal attacks on established positions.

A bit long on Stonewall Jackson's story, but I understand the "Director's Cut" will incude more material be closer to the book .
Marty
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 02:27 AM UTC
I haven't seen it in the movies but I am looking forward to seeing it on DVD.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 02:41 AM UTC
Can you tell us something about this show?
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 03:32 AM UTC
The story is a "prequel" to the movie Gettysburg which was based on Jeff Shaara's The Killer Angels . In theatrical release, it focusses mainly on Thomas "Stonewall" Jackkson form just before the start of the Civil War as a teacher at the Virginia Military Institute through the Battle of Manassas, aka Bull Run, Fredricksbug and finally Chancellorsville in May of 1863, where Jackson was mortally wounded by friendly fire. A lot of time is spent on his personal life and religious convictions. The battle scenes are stunning and use many reeanctors as extras, so the soldiers pretty much know how to handle the equipment. It also covers the involvement Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain and the 20th Maine, which was the central focus of the earlier movie.
Supposedly, a DVD release, whether the first one out or a later special edition will include as much as a couple hours extra footage in a director's cut.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 07:17 PM UTC
You're talking about "Fool Tom". That's what they called him at the I. I saluted his backside many times while a Rat. I've waited for this one for a while. I found Gettysburg absolutely enrapturing. I imagine I will find this one no less so.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 11:58 PM UTC
I thought G&G was sorta slow. No nearly as much action as "Gettysburg" but maybe it is just me. On a related note, did Lee say "God's will." everytime someone said anything to him? I mean in the two movie put together he must say that line 20 times. I can see him eating breakfast and someone asks him if he want more coffee, he looks all serious and say "God's will." Man....

Shaun
Boiler
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 70 Posts
KitMaker Network: 65 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 07:42 AM UTC
[quote]My wife got it for me as a surpise a couple of days ago and I thought it was great. My only gripe is that some of the non-military stuff got kinda tiresome, but that's just me. I agree about General Lee. He was a great miltary commander but I bet he got a little tedious in person........God's will................................
Quoted Text

My advice to you is to start drinkin g heavily...Bluto