TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Grave of the Fireflies
endrju007
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Podkarpackie, Poland
entire network: 2,435 Posts
KitMaker Network: 203 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 02, 2009 - 08:22 AM UTC
Iíve just seen Grave of the Fireflies - anime by Isao Takahata.
Spoiler area
It is a story of 14 years old boy Seita and his 4 years old sister Setsuko. Action takes place in Japan in 1945. Their mother dies burned during firebombing of Kobe so Seita has to take care of his little sister. At first they live with their aunt, but after few days she starts to treat them like no-goods and is very cold in relations. After a while kids decide to leave her. They make abandoned ground shelter their new home but after a while rationed food is more and more difficult to get and they have nothing they could trade for rice or anything else to eat.
War finally ends and Seita can finally buy some food but itís too late and his tiny sister Setsuko dies from starvation and exhaustion. Seita has to trade all the food he just have bought for a coal for sisterís body cremation. He starves and dies few days later on rail station.
At the end of the film, the spirits of Seita and Setsuko are seen, sitting side by side as they look down on the city of Kobe. They finally are peaceful and happy because they once again are together.
Spoiler area ends here

Honestly speaking Iíve been very close to crying like a baby while watching this movie. It is extremely powerful and characterís behavior is very realistic. I donít think Iíve ever seen any anti-war movie so powerful and suggestive.

Have anyone of you seen this movie? What do you think about it?

Andrzej
alpha_tango
Visit this Community
Germany
entire network: 5,609 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 02, 2009 - 08:58 AM UTC
Hi Andrzej

I saw the move some years ago on TV. And I did cry (like I never did before or since ... as a -more or less - adult) .. I also never watched it again though I bought the DVD.

I fully agree with your statement that it is a very powerful anti-war movie .. I think being an anime makes it even more intense as most western viewers have certain expectations when watching an animated movie (this is defintely no movie that children should watch alone)....

all the best

Steffen
P.S I remember some details differently, but maybe we have another translation and/ or cut for the German version.
endrju007
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 02, 2009 - 08:09 PM UTC
Hi Steffen,

Thank you for your answer.
What details were different? How did you remembered it?
I had no problem with this film being animated - I do like anime and I watched mostly "adult" movies (not XXX just PG15 or such ). My first contact with anime was "Akira" next was "Ghost in a shell" so the fact that this one was animated did not change my perception of "Grave...".
I must admit though that animation is very life-like which also impressed me.

Andrzej
alpha_tango
Visit this Community
Germany
entire network: 5,609 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 02, 2009 - 08:36 PM UTC
Hi Andrzej

Well I am mostly into Manga rather than anime. But I have a lot of the Studio Ghibli stuff (still need to get Porco Rosso .. aka Crimson Pig). I also watch some of the spring off series from mangas. At the moment I mostly read/watch Naruto and One Piece. As you are much into action, have a look at Spriggan .. the Manga was very cool. Also liked Ronin Kenshin .. but I have rather broad interest in this.

Manga/Anime is a Japanese art/entertainment form that does not focus on children but has fans all through the society. And an anime movie is an normal to watch for adults as for teens or younger kids. In the west animated stuff is thought to be for kids, thats why I lost a few words on this in my first post. This has changed a bit over the last 10-15 years.

As for the differences. Hmm, at least the finish. I remember him dying on the station. then he sees his sister picking up the sweets box that he used to entertain her earlier in the movie. After he passed away he joins her and both walk away ... end. Also the aunt is not unfair against them she just has not enough for their family either so she gets a bit bitter (of course there is this scene with the Kimono or fabric, but IMO it is just to overexpose the scenery). Somehow I thought this to be situated in one of the nuked out cities, but I might be wrong.

all the best

Steffen
endrju007
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 02, 2009 - 09:55 PM UTC
Concerning the ending - it is split in two - first part of it you can sea on the begining (before the title is shown) and on the last scene of the movie you can sea Setsuko sitting next to Seita. They eat fruit drops from the can they've carried through the whole movie. Seita tells Setsuko that it is late and it's time to sleep. She nods and she lies down on, using his leg as a pillow.
Speaking of aunt. Seita brought a lot of food (good food like butter, very difficult to get) from the ground shelter close his ruined home. It also seems that he receives much less rice than his aunt told him she got for selling Seita's mother's kimonos - she poured rice to Seita's jar but when finished the bag of rice was still only half empty. Even then she treats children as parasites...
It's just my opinion - it is how I feel about her (the aunt).

Oh, Kobe was destroyed by fire - Bombers dropped incendiary bombs.

Regards

Andrzej