_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
1:35 scale modern cars or trucks
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 09:55 AM UTC
I apologize if this has alrady been asked. I tired to search for the info but came up with nothing.

Anyway, other than MIG Productions are there any any other modern cars/trucks available in 1:35 scale? I recently picked two sets of Trumpeter 1/35 PMC in IRAQ 2005 VIP Security Guards and they would go great with a couple of trucks or SUVs.

Thanks
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 10:39 AM UTC

Few to miniscule choosings in 1/35. There are, however, many choices in 1/32, which is very close, but, a bit bigger that 1/35.
Revell has done quite a few 1/32 choices.

Cuhail
Damraska
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 77 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 03:01 PM UTC
I conducted a similar search a few months back. Other than the Mig stuff, all I could find was some die cast offerings.

-Doug
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 03:50 PM UTC
Vajra Miniatures Ford F350 is perfect for what you need. I have the kit - it's a very nice kit and comes with lots of extras, packs, traffic cones, spare tires, etc.

You can also use the Monogram Chevy pickup in 1/32. I have it as well. It's an S-10, but if you alter the rear bumper, you get what in Iraq is still called the Chevy LUV, which is used by IP, IBP, and others.
Marty
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 01:01 AM UTC
Thanks everyone.

Robert, that Vajra Miniatures Ford F350 looks really good but $100 might be a bit much especially where I would need to modify the kit and open all the doors. Messing up an expensive kit like that could be very painful.
nasman
Visit this Community
Sweden
entire network: 8 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 03:00 AM UTC
If You can live with 1/32, Aari has has quite a lot of models, mostly japanese cars. That means, unfortunately, If You are to depict a non japanese (or british), that You have to move the steringwheel, pedals etc. to the left side. I beleive You need to look for them in japanese hobby shops, Netmerchants (UK) also use to have a few. I donīt know if itīs of any use in Your project, but Revell makes a nice Mercedes Wolf in 1/35. Perhaps itīs poosible to "civilize" that one?!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 07:54 AM UTC
In addition to what has been said above, there are a few die-cast trucks in1/34 by First Gear that are pretty nice. I have their F250 and it is really nice. It will require a few exra details and a repaint, but not much more.

Other than that, 1/32 is the way to go. I have used many 1/32 cars and trucks with 1/35 armor models and they go great together. Monogram, MPC, AMT, and Revell had a bunch of great ones in the '80s and early '90s. Most of them are currently OOP, but come up on eBay often. Do a search for 1/32 Monogram, 1/32 MPC, etc. and you will find them. The Monogram '80s Chevelle (came as a police car and Fire Chief car) and MPC's '80s Chevy Step-Side Pickup are perfect for Middle East dios. They are all over the place there.

I just ordered a die-cast 1/32 Escalade EXT (Suburban) to use with the Trumpeter PMC figures as well. We'll see how it looks when I get it.

You can also convert some of the 1/32 truck kits to make a crew-cab as used all over the Middle East too. I did it by combining two old Monogram 1/32 Toyota trucks.

More here.
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 2,672 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 02:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If You can live with 1/32, Aari has has quite a lot of models, mostly japanese cars. That means, unfortunately, If You are to depict a non japanese (or british), that You have to move the steringwheel, pedals etc. to the left side. I beleive You need to look for them in japanese hobby shops, Netmerchants (UK) also use to have a few. I donīt know if itīs of any use in Your project, but Revell makes a nice Mercedes Wolf in 1/35. Perhaps itīs poosible to "civilize" that one?!

One thing that I did notice in Afghanistan is that there are both left and right hand drive vehicles. Goes along with that fact that they do not follow any type of highway rules and common sense LOL.

cheers
Marty
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2009 - 01:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If You can live with 1/32, Aari has has quite a lot of models, mostly japanese cars.

I can't seem to find any Aari models.
Marty
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2009 - 01:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Other than that, 1/32 is the way to go. I have used many 1/32 cars and trucks with 1/35 armor models and they go great together. Monogram, MPC, AMT, and Revell had a bunch of great ones in the '80s and early '90s. Most of them are currently OOP, but come up on eBay often. Do a search for 1/32 Monogram, 1/32 MPC, etc. and you will find them. The Monogram '80s Chevelle (came as a police car and Fire Chief car) and MPC's '80s Chevy Step-Side Pickup are perfect for Middle East dios. They are all over the place there.

Thanks Gino. I will try to find some 1:32 scale models. BTW, great job on the conversion!
Phil_H
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 78 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2009 - 07:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I can't seem to find any Aari models.

That should be "ARII" not "AARI". You are looking for the "Owners Club" series. This covers mostly Japanese cars from the '50s up to the early 90's.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 04:03 AM UTC
Thanks. If you search for 1/32 Arii on eBay you get quite a few. Also, I just got in yesterday the die-cast Cadillac Escalade ESV (basically a Suburban). It actually scales out to 1/34 and looks pretty good; about the same quality as the First Gear 1/34 F250. It is made by Signature Models. The hood (with a pretty good engine), front doors, and rear hatch open. I will just need to cut open a rear door. A little interior and exterior detail painting and it will be perfect for an armored diplomatic transport vehicle to go with the Trumpeter PMC figures.

Here it is w/a Vietnam-era Marine for comparison. Also, I stood next to my 1/1 Tahoe and I come up to about the same place on the door as the figure.

We will see how it comes out. Unfortunately, it may be a while before I get to it. I just picked up another commission build. It should keep me busy for a while.
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 06:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks. If you search for 1/32 Arii on eBay you get quite a few. Also, I just got in yesterday the die-cast Cadillac Escalade ESV (basically a Suburban). It actually scales out to 1/34 and looks pretty good; about the same quality as the First Gear 1/34 F250. It is made by Signature Models. The hood (with a pretty good engine), front doors, and rear hatch open. I will just need to cut open a rear door. A little interior and exterior detail painting and it will be perfect for an armored diplomatic transport vehicle to go with the Trumpeter PMC figures.

Here it is w/a Vietnam-era Marine for comparison. Also, I stood next to my 1/1 Tahoe and I come up to about the same place on the door as the figure.

We will see how it comes out. Unfortunately, it may be a while before I get to it. I just picked up another commission build. It should keep me busy for a while.

Is it always so that officers in your army have many free times for such undertakings? I have seen your helicopter undertaking from Iraq and I am thinking this takes many of your time there.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 08:43 AM UTC
Not that it has anything to do with this post or modeling, but...I probably had more free time than most as I was working at a HQ and not going out on patrols and such all the time. I wouldn't say I had a lot of free time though. I did it in the evenings when I had some time off and it took me almost 5 months to build it.
Crossedrifles
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 70 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 11:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That Marine did look a little short, come to think of it.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 12:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

That Marine did look a little short, come to think of it.

Hey now, I resemble that remark.
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 04:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Not that it has anything to do with this post or modeling, but...I probably had more free time than most as I was working at a HQ and not going out on patrols and such all the time. I wouldn't say I had a lot of free time though. I did it in the evenings when I had some time off and it took me almost 5 months to build it.

I beg forgiveness. I make the conclusion from your quotation you are a rough soldier in the night not in the HQ.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 11:43 PM UTC
Whatever. Obliviously you are an idiot looking to cause nothing but trouble. Go somewhere else for that. Now back to modeling.
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, November 02, 2009 - 07:51 AM UTC

Yes, back to the modeling.

How about something like this:
REVELL 6008 TOYOTA SR-5 PICKUP SNAPKIT 1/32 SCALE

Lots to find on good ole eBay!

Cuhail
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, November 02, 2009 - 08:08 AM UTC
Yup, that is the kit I used two of to make my crew cab SF Toyota truck above.
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, November 02, 2009 - 09:09 AM UTC

Well, what are the odds of that?

How about this little mix-
4 Ford & Chevy Pick Up 1/32 Scale Model Kits

Pretty modern, I'd say. That S-10 is late 90's/early 2000s

Cuhail
Marty
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 05:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, what are the odds of that?

How about this little mix-
4 Ford & Chevy Pick Up 1/32 Scale Model Kits

Pretty modern, I'd say. That S-10 is late 90's/early 2000s

Cuhail

Argh! I hadn't checked this thread in a few days and missed out on this ebay item. Darn it!
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
entire network: 2,264 Posts
KitMaker Network: 254 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 11:00 AM UTC
I'm curious, where did you get the 1/32 gun? I'm actually looking for a 1/25 or 1/24..
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 673 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 11:29 AM UTC
Esci Landrover Paratroop version has a GPMG in 1/24 scale.

Lovely kit too.

" TARGET="_blank">

Fujimi do several versions of this truck but watch out for advertisers constantly describing them as 1/24. I got succerred and bought one looking for 1/24.

They are only 1/32 scale!!!!!!!!!!!

Lovely detail on kits

Nige
Removed by original poster on 11/06/09 - 00:07:04 (GMT).
 _GOTOTOP