_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Replacing Hatch Handles with Metal
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2002 - 10:45 AM UTC
While working on my latest (and second) armor kit, I had the itching to replace those flimsy hatch handles with metal. Having a few things handy to try including hollow tubing that I use for replacement machine guns on planes I came across the idea to use paper clips cut and shaped to size. Paper clips come in various sizes and thicknesses so they can be used in a variety of roles and their easy to shape with some needle nose pliers. Anybody else try this? How did it work for you? Any of you experienced modelers have better ideas or suggestions?
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2002 - 11:06 AM UTC
Bryan, paper clips I found to be too rigid for bending, especially when you need to fashion something intricate.
I use all sizes of electric wire, stripped of course. Easier to bend and manipulate. Although, you may only be able to find some wire too thin for some of those handles, in which case, paper clips are a great idea!
If you have any new constuction sites nearby, swing on over and have a look see for the scrap pieces electritions discard. Heavier, and a little bit lasts years! Beware of those "No Trespassing" signs.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2002 - 11:17 AM UTC
I have a roll of soft metal something or other that I bought 10+ years ago. I got it from the craft store in the necklace making aisle. It's a copper/gold color and is rather pliable. The roll probably cost me less than $5 and and I don't think I've put a 25% dent in the roll. I usually replace all the plastic handles, grab rails and guards with the stuff. I also picked up some wire cutters and flat surface pliers so when I bend the stuff, it doesn't mar the piece.
ChrisCarney
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 88 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2002 - 08:25 PM UTC
Greetings Tin Can, glad to see another converted armor fan. I'm an old aviator who has come over to the other side. I like to use safety wire. I use it alot in my job so there is an abundance available. They too come in different sizes and make great handles. Try that. Hope that helps pal. Chris (Tiger 1) Carney.
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2002 - 08:30 PM UTC
Thanks for the tips guys! Until I find some old wire laying around (I think I have some in the storage shed...I could probably find it if I had cleaned it out like my wife asked) I used the paper clips for this model and they seem to work pretty good. Again, thanks! :-)
 _GOTOTOP