Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Flippin' people!!!
Tonyfr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 516 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 07:30 AM UTC
My daughter, who is currently serving in the Navy, arrived home today. She flew out late yesterday, Sept 11, out of San Fran. She said people at the airport were less than nice. She had one person say her children should burned in hell because she was serving in military. She had few other negative comments as well. She said she just reponded with the comment her Chief told her to use, "Thank you, your comment is appreciated" and then walked off.

I am glad I was not there. I do not think I would have responded in the same manner.

I saw a t-shirt once that said, "My child is currently serving to protect your freedom of speech. Please respect her by keeping your mouth shut."

Tony
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,116 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,015 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 08:33 AM UTC
My Thanks for your daughters Servive and self Sacrifices. As Vet with a son currently serving I too take offense to those who make those negative comments concerning those who protect our Freedoms . Cool TEE-Shirt ! Regards, milvehfan
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 08:49 AM UTC
Tony, your daughter sounds like a very classy young lady. She certainly exhibited much more self control than I would have.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 09:17 AM UTC
Thomas Jefferson was afraid that this day would come. People assume freedom is simply there, that freedom is doing what you want, when you want. They forget that freedom is the absence of oppression. They despise the people who protect freedom. They forget that freedom is based on responsibility and accountability and not self gratification. God bless your daughter and all those others who serve, have served and will serve to keep and protect homes and families, religion, speech and assembly, and all the other rights of truly free people in this land of liberty.
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 09:39 AM UTC
that is a disgusting commentary on the state of things in the U.S. today.
Hug your daughter for me and thank her.

Sincerely,
Charles
05Sultan
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 01:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sincerely,
Charles

Ditto here!! Salud!
Rick
mopnglo
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 452 Posts
KitMaker Network: 143 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 03:12 PM UTC
Tony, I greatly appreciate the sacrifice your family and all the other military families are making to guarantee the safety of my family. I have two little boys and I sleep better at night knowing there are so many amazing people out there protecting their future. Please tell you daughter that I said "Thank you!"

Michael
Tonyfr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 516 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2009 - 01:29 AM UTC
All, Thanks for the kind comments. I just needed to rant. I was really not too happy. Working a few hours on my What If campaign project helped clear my head.

Tony
sacman
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 16 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2009 - 01:50 PM UTC
"I do believe that person need's a swift kick in their damn azz, if I could raise my leg as high as the top of their shoulders"....................opp's I typed this out loud didn't I ? Still believe it!!
CMSgt. Lou USAF Retired
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 - 05:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

All, Thanks for the kind comments. I just needed to rant. I was really not too happy. Working a few hours on my What If campaign project helped clear my head.

Tony

Your Daughter has style and reserve - if it had been me they`d been nursing a fat lip in a casualty dept - way to go girl !!!
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,531 Posts
KitMaker Network: 290 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 - 07:34 AM UTC
Hello Tony, there are people who really ought to engage brain before shifting their mouth into gear. Unfortunately some have a TV spawned attention span, and forget very quickly things like Valley Forge, Antietam, Pearl Harbor, Bataan, Chosin, Khe Sanh, and too many others. They also forget the people who served then, and continue to serve now, to protect their right to be Friggin' Idiots. My best to your daughter and all the other daughters, sons, husbands, and wives who man the walls. Al
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 - 11:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No, it is just a said commentary on the state of things in San Fransisco. Had she flown into the airport in Indianapolis she would have been thanked for her service ten times and had folks offering to carry her bags. Of course, we are just rubes in in "fly over country."
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 - 02:18 PM UTC
Hi Tonyfr, I am also from a US Navy family. Your daughter chose the BEST branch to serve in. Uh-oh, this might start something else...

Quoted Text

No, it is just a said commentary on the state of things in San Fransisco.

SFO is not in San Francisco. It is down in San Mateo County. Airports often are populated by other traveling people from around the country and since it's an International Airport, maybe around the world.

Quoted Text

Had she flown into the airport in Indianapolis she would have been thanked for her service ten times and had folks offering to carry her bags.

Thanking her ten times, or more, would have happened IN San Francisco and active military personal deserve this gratitude. However, if she was offered unsolicited assistance with her baggage in any airport, I hope she would decline the offer for safety of herself and belongings.

GSPatton
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 - 08:29 AM UTC
Tony,

Rude is now becoming the new 'norm' in society. I'm sorry your daughter had to endure this foolish woman's rants.

Whether SFO is in San Francisco proper or not - the mind (or lack thereof) set of many Northern Califonias makes me sad we live in the same state.

Thank her for her service.

dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 356 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 - 09:08 AM UTC
She had more brains then me, I'd probably be in the county hilton over it. They are my vets, don't cross the line. And a lifetime of thank you to all our vets, past, present and in the future.
bpunchy
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 366 Posts
KitMaker Network: 93 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 02, 2009 - 12:34 AM UTC
My dad copped all this after Vietnam . I thought after the treatment of Vietnam Veterans and the realisation 30 years later that their mistreatment by society was less than shabby that no returning veterans from any conflict would ever suffer this . Its disapointing and embarrassing . I hope that time diminishes the pain that you feel .I'm sorry that your daughter had to suffer this fool . To me my signature says it all , dont mean nothin drive on .
pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 116 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 02, 2009 - 12:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I saw a t-shirt once that said, "My child is currently serving to protect your freedom of speech. Please respect her by keeping your mouth shut."

Even if that is some kind of joke, it's not a very good one. What happened to "I may hate what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it?"
WLJayne
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 54 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 12:45 AM UTC
That's a very sad story, your Daughter's conduct in dealing with the heckler was exemplary and she is a credit to the American armed forces.

We have similar problems here in the UK. Luckily my town largely supports our troops, they don't blame them for the politics they serve whether they think the war is justified or not. They know that they joined up to serve their country and were brave enough to sacrifice their personal freedoms and to entrust them into the hands of our leaders hoping that they would do the right thing. A young lad who was close to many of my freinds in school was killed in Helmand recently. I never knew him well, but the whole town really pulled together over it. I wish that this could be said for all of the UK. There have been stories in the papers about servicemen and women being ordered not to wear uiform off a certain airbase because the abuse they were getting in the street was getting worse and worse. Such behaviour has no place in our society, whatever your standing on the war is.

I aggree, people think that freedom just happens. They will be quick to side with the forces again if ever those freedoms are threathened on a direct level. It disgusts and appalls me.

Good on your daughter, it must be hard to go through that.

Will.

jimz66
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,165 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2009 - 05:49 AM UTC
Thank GOD your daughter and many others are serving. I was unable too due to my health. I would be in a much better situation today if I was able to serve. Hug and kiss that angle for me. Thanks.
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 461 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2009 - 09:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thomas Jefferson was afraid that this day would come. People assume freedom is simply there, that freedom is doing what you want, when you want. They forget that freedom is the absence of oppression. They despise the people who protect freedom. They forget that freedom is based on responsibility and accountability and not self gratification. God bless your daughter and all those others who serve, have served and will serve to keep and protect homes and families, religion, speech and assembly, and all the other rights of truly free people in this land of liberty.

Tony tell your daughter from one salior to another that she has class and more smarts than most of the people that I meet.

I do remeber a saying that applies to the female who had the brain fart: (Its better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it.)

AGAIN ALL OF MY REGARDS TO YOUR AMAZING DAUGHTER

Robert
JackFlash
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 11,669 Posts
KitMaker Network: 290 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 06:51 AM UTC
From a mile high above sea level, my respects to you and your good daughter. I have served myself and have had three sons in the service. Two Marines (One served in Op. Desert Storm) and one in the Army (10th Mtn.) on his way to Afghanistan next year. The other day I was wearing a T-shirt that displayed "Proud Army Father" at the grocery store. A fellow thanked me for my son's service. I myself have purchased drinks at a local eatery for our good folks in uniform.

There are good folk out there. Live well.
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 08:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

No, it is just a said commentary on the state of things in San Fransisco. Had she flown into the airport in Indianapolis she would have been thanked for her service ten times and had folks offering to carry her bags. Of course, we are just rubes in in "fly over country."

Oddly enough, I saw something almost exactly like that happen a few months ago at the Indy Int'l Airport. And Tony, I can only echo what others have already said: Your daughter is an exemplary person, and you should be extraordinarily proud of her. God Bless!
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,683 Posts
KitMaker Network: 284 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 02:20 PM UTC
Tony (and Tony's daughter)

As long as one is able, there is no finer endeavour than to serve one's country. Be it in the regular or reserve military, or in civil/government service.

Those that have served in the military forces on behalf of their country are the most prized of all. Winston Churchill put it best when he said (and I paraphrase...), "Never has so much been owed by so many to so few". Your daughter is one of those who represent the highest standard of this ideal and a shining example of a word that is so vilely misunderstood and so often beaten down...."SERVICE".

Service to your family, service to your country and service to your ideals is indeed the highest of callings. I feel ashamed to be a member of the human race sometimes when I hear of things like the attempt at discredit that was heaped upon your daughter by someone who is either confused, misguided or completely ignorant of the world and their place in it. They should have just said, "thank you", instead.

Your daughter showed remakable restraint and compassion for this misguided fool and I applaud her understanding, her quick thinking and above all, her service. Tony, I am sure you are a very proud father and you don't need me to reassure you of your daughter's valuable contribution to you and to her country.

Please thank her from me, my family and from my country too.

Bob
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 2,798 Posts
KitMaker Network: 286 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 02:31 AM UTC
i have not served but i appreciate and remember and respect every soldier who has fought and died to keep me free. that lady is a pc. of @$#% frankly and needs to go to a country without are freedoms to be shown what is like if soldiers like your daughter werent here.again tell your daughter thanks for defending me. people need to be reminded how blood soaked are flag is trying to defend those freedoms.or they could just listen to what the local news tells them.sorry that lady angers me to no end.