Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Now this is sad.
flakgunner
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 657 Posts
KitMaker Network: 201 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 02:03 AM UTC
Hey,

Last Saturday, I made the big decision to look into trading my van for a brand new Chevy Cobalt, the Cobalt was rated at 25 mpg city, 34 mpg highway.
The dealership still had four of these cars sitting on their lot, the salesman was numb and in shock when he typed in the info on my van,and saw the results.

My 18 yr. old Plymouth Van,with 150,000 miles,thats on its third transmission,it now burns three quarts of oil a month,DID NOT qualify, for the "cash for clunkers" program. Period!! had nothing to do on what I was looking at ether .. ,Go Figure. Oh well,at least ive got a job,and it still gets me their (barely). I've never owned a new vehicle or have had car payments (and I'am 51) Maybe our Government, did me a favor? A new vehicle would have been nice,though,just once in my life time, I can remember my father bring home new cars.

Joe
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 03:03 AM UTC
I test drove a Chevy Cobalt with my daughter back in 2006. I didn't like it and she didn't either. We test drove the 2007 Chevy Aveo (a slightly smaller 4-door sedan than the Cobalt) and she loved it so I bought it for her. They're good little cars and she takes good care of it. It was a lot cheaper than the Cobalt too.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 06:06 AM UTC
It may have been considered a commercial vehicle as opposed to a passenger vehicle, especially if it wasn't equiped with a full set of seats.
flakgunner
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 657 Posts
KitMaker Network: 201 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 - 02:05 AM UTC
I don't no what their thinking?maybe they weren't thinking,all I know is that it's titled as a passenger vehicle,has passenger plates on it,and seats (seat belts)for 7. oh well.I'll just hang to my $$,and buy more models ,WWII era in 1/35 !!!!!

, Joe
Sabot
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 - 02:52 AM UTC
I was reading about how the line drawn between eligible and not eligible seemed rather vague and didn't make sense. The example used said a certain year Dodge Caravan minivan qualified with a certain engine/transmission, but with another, it did not.

1988 Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan/Ram Van 2WD

Eligible with Automatic 3-spd, 6 cyl, 3.0 L engine

Not eligible with Manual 5-spd, 4 cyl, 2.5 L, engine or Automatic 3-spd, 4 cyl, 2.5 L engine

So if you tried to save money 21 years ago by buying the cheaper van, you're out of luck today.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 - 03:11 AM UTC
Completely leaving my politics out of this apparently there is going to be a "Cash for Appliances" deal in the fall. So you can trade in your old planet killing refrigerator and Uncle Sam will kick in some cash for a new one.
I want one of those huge stainless steel bastards with the LCD television in the door, 'cause everyone needs to watch tv while they are grabbing a beer.
Shaun
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 - 03:20 AM UTC
As I understand it, the Cash for Appliance program does not involve a trade in, you simply get a subsidy to buy a newer, theoretically, more efficient appliance. You and the dealer work out the removal/disposal of the old appliance.
Sabot
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 - 03:20 AM UTC
Too bad I replaced all my household appliances last year when I bought my house. I bought a new refridgerator, stove, microwave/oven vent, dishwasher, washer, dryer and had to replace the hotwater heater in February. And yes, the wife had to have all the kitchen appliances in stainless steel, and of course, I purchased my house before 1 April of last year so I couldn't get that tax break this year.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 - 08:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was reading about how the line drawn between eligible and not eligible seemed rather vague and didn't make sense. The example used said a certain year Dodge Caravan minivan qualified with a certain engine/transmission, but with another, it did not.

1988 Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan/Ram Van 2WD

Eligible with Automatic 3-spd, 6 cyl, 3.0 L engine

Not eligible with Manual 5-spd, 4 cyl, 2.5 L, engine or Automatic 3-spd, 4 cyl, 2.5 L engine

So if you tried to save money 21 years ago by buying the cheaper van, you're out of luck today.

My brother is a car dealer and explained it to me a little bit. It was all based upon fuel efficiency and how much more the newer cars get. If your old car already got X number of MPG, it didn't qualify since it wasn't a big enough gain in efficiency. That is the case in the engine size example above. It could also have been the case with your van as well.
Sabot
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 - 11:36 AM UTC
I understand the fuel economy reasoning. I was just pointing out that if you made the "wise" decision in 1988 to buy the 4 cylinder instead of the more pricey 6 cylinder, you're out of luck today. This was just an example of a specific vehicle model that made the cut between trim levels.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 03:25 AM UTC
This appliance program for real?

Are not pulling my leg are you?

Might get some new "Stuff" here.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 04:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This appliance program for real?

Are not pulling my leg are you?

Might get some new "Stuff" here.

Link here
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 04:51 AM UTC
Uncle Sam ain't kicking in crap......
You ----- John Q Taxpayer is......
Of course we can contiune to print more worthless money, and borrow more and more.

Well, I'm off to work to pay for Joes' new car and beer cooler.

keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 01:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Of course we can contiune to print more worthless money, and borrow more and more.

Exactly Dave. Can't wait for the hyperinflation to set in so I can take my wheel barrow full of cash down to the corner market to get a loaf of bread.

Shaun
sopmod6
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
entire network: 761 Posts
KitMaker Network: 262 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 06:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Completely leaving my politics out of this apparently there is going to be a "Cash for Appliances" deal in the fall. So you can trade in your old planet killing refrigerator and Uncle Sam will kick in some cash for a new one.
I want one of those huge stainless steel bastards with the LCD television in the door, 'cause everyone needs to watch tv while they are grabbing a beer.
Shaun

I purchased an LG stainless steel model w/ the 15" screen and dvd player about a year ago.
As nifty as it is, the thing never gets used. Even for all the fancy fridge status reports, it can't tell me when the leftovers go bad. I still have to wing that part.

Aside from that, people still go "oooh-aaah". Guess that counts for something.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2009 - 02:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My My Dave do I sense a touch of Sarcasm in that remark.

Yep can't wait to see my tax flow in a year or two.

I did buy a new truck but with my money.

Shameless plug indeed.

Sabot
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2009 - 05:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The cycle will just repeat itself Dave. The folks who went out to buy the car with the CARS money most likely bought more car than they can really afford in the first place. The $3500-4500 was like using a coupon to lower the price so they upped the range of automobile they bought.

Much like last year when gas ran into the $4+ range, folks found they could not afford to drive to work. They could not get rid of the gas guzzler because they were upside down on the loan. They could not sell the vehicle because the high price of gas made the vehicle virtually worthless on the secondary market. Then their job was cut because the economy started to tank.

The folks who used the CARS money to buy an economic car they truly could afford were the real winners, but I think those folks weren't as bad off to begin with.
pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 116 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 01:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I understand the fuel economy reasoning. I was just pointing out that if you made the "wise" decision in 1988 to buy the 4 cylinder instead of the more pricey 6 cylinder, you're out of luck today.

Just to play devil's advocate here for a moment, I have a sneaking suspicion that it might have been a bit tricky to base your purchasing decisions in 1988 even partly on the possibility of a Government-funded trade-in programme 21 years later. New rules in an entirely new situation don't invalidate the original decision; and I doubt that the new rules themselves could have been made in a way that ensured that absolutely everyone benefited.
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 08:35 AM UTC
I have a 2001 Dodge Stratus with 140,000 miles on it. It has a DOHC 4 and still gets 27 MPG on the freeway. Would have loved to trade it in on a new car - but most of them get less miles per gallon than my old car - Talk about being bummed out.