Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Europe Holiday idea?
modelmaidenwillow
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 71 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2009 - 09:09 AM UTC
Hey guys,

Maybe the topic title gives it away but as it says, i need help on a holiday/trip idea.

I'd like to take my boyfriend somewhere, preferabaly central europe area, but i'm not sure where.

We're not bothered about party areas, just somewhere friendly and picturesque

Do you have any ideas or advice where is nice to visit. We also could do with ideas to stay as we would like as low a budget as possible, with it being nice of course

But any ideas will be appreciated
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
entire network: 1,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 107 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2009 - 09:12 AM UTC
Go in Prague, probably my preferred European town, it's a very romantic place
modelmaidenwillow
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 - 11:48 AM UTC
Thanks JBA, i'v looked around and found a few cheapish places, so it could be an option. And a romantic place too

I'm hoping there'll be some more advice about where and where not to go!
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
entire network: 2,093 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 - 09:38 PM UTC
From my personal experiences I can say that Prague most definitely is a wonderfull place, but so are the Angers- and Saumur areas in France.
The Ardennes are fantastic, too, but stay away from Luxemburg, as it is quite expensive.
If you fancy more woods, natur, piece and quite, try the German Westerwald. Schwarzwald and (parts of) the Rhinevalley.
Enjoy your vacation, wherever you may go!
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 02:24 AM UTC
Hi Willow, Here is my 2 cents worth. I like southern Bavaria, especially the Bertchesgaden area. Not because it being the home of Hitler's Eagles Nest ( a nice hike up to it but overated), but the scenery, all the hiking trails, if you like pork great food, good people and it always seems to be a festival of some sort going on. Lodging is inexpensive, a lot of pensions with a million dollar view of the Watzman mountain chain. A quick bus trip to Salzburg Austria and on to the little alpine lake towns in the Upper Austria region - Hallstatt is very nice. Or the train from Salzburg to Innsbruck then up to Garmisch, Mittenwald area for some of Mad Ludwigs castles.Munich is about an hour away by train. I don't know if they still have the "Bayern ticket" or the "schoenes Wochende" ticket both under 25 euros for unlimited one day travel on non express trains. ANYWAY, this is where my ashes will be scattered. To quote an American comic book hero, Zippy the Pinhead, "Where ever you go, there you are". Willow, you and your boyfriend have a great trip where ever you end up ! Tom
modelmaidenwillow
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 11:42 AM UTC
Thankyou so much guys. It's gonna take me a while to look up all these places to find the best, but they all sound so nice! I hope it wont be too hard to decide, but i'll start look now
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 785 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 04:14 PM UTC
Willow: I enjoyed Ida-oberstien In cental Germany, quite town with lots to do and see. The whole area was pleasent, and it,s close to Lux, and France.
modelmaidenwillow
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 10:36 PM UTC
Thanks Anthony, Sounds like just the place, though they all do :'( Thankyou Ron for suggestiong Schwarzwald, It looks so pretty! i have alot of thinking to do
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
entire network: 2,406 Posts
KitMaker Network: 78 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 09:12 PM UTC
[quote]The Ardennes are fantastic, too, but stay away from Luxemburg, as it is quite expensive.
quote]

That one, dear Roy, i can defintely not let pass. What is so expensive in Luxembourg to leave it out for a few vacation days?
Food is certainly the same level as in NL, perhaps a bit more expensive, but the quality is a lot better. Hotels can be found in every priceclass. If fuel , cigarettes and alcohol are expensive, i am wondering what the thousands of Belgians, Netherlands and all others are doing on our petrol stations every day and on the way to South Europe.
I am not even speaking from the thouands of NL people passing their holiday in L every year because of the superb landscape.

Not far away from GB Luxembourg is a tourist top choice for a lot of your countrymen!

http://www.ont.lu/site-fr.html
http://www.castle-vianden.lu/francais/index.html

As Willow posts on this site, there is probably a little military interest also, the absolut must in museums in the Ardennes is the National Museum in Diekirch.
http://www.nat-military-museum.lu

A big choice of hotels in the quiet northers part
http://www.ardennes-lux.lu/en

Come see it yourself!

Claude