_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
Photo Advice Needed
steve203
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 579 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 12:23 PM UTC
Hey, How can I keep from washing out the details in my model with my flash? The last model I did, alot of the bare metal type detailing was very hard to see due to the flash. I don't want to over detail something so that it looks right in a photo but not in person.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 12:29 PM UTC
I think the best way is to get better lighting and not use the flash at all. Otherwise photograph outside on a bright day. Flash will always distort the true colour.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 12:49 PM UTC
If the type of flash on your camera is a seperate piece - uses a hot shoe, you can get a filter for it called a diffuser.
If the flash is aim-able, another option is to bounce the flash off a white field and back onto the model.
If the flash is of the pop-up type - not seperate nor aim-able, you would be best to shoot outdoors like Plasticbattle mentioned.
Grifter
Visit this Community
entire network: 608 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 01:14 PM UTC
after many failed attempts to get decent photos, I've been taking them in front of a window when the light isn't coming directly in. I bought two cheap clamp lights and Phillips Reveal bulbs which I use to fill shadows. Those bulbs are color corrected to produce a light similar to sunlight so they won't mess up the colors in the photos. I use my camera without any flash and it's on a tripod using the timer function so I don't shake it any.
steve203
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 02:24 PM UTC
Great, Tanks for the info. I will give it a shot if it ever stops raining. I will also try to find some of those bulbs next time I'm out.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 03:47 PM UTC
If you're using a digital camera with a built in flash and a good zoom lens, get further back and use the zoom feature to increase the imnage. Direct sunlight, IMHO, is too harsh for model photography. If you're using film, use the slowest film possible and a tripod and indirect sunlight or shoot on an overcast day using a tripod. To be honest, after many years of using film and flash at showsandt contests I am convinced the best way yo shoot models is with a good digital camera.
steve203
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 11:45 PM UTC
I use a digital cam Canon S110. What is IMHO?
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 12:22 AM UTC
IMHO = In My Humble Opinion
Grifter
Visit this Community
entire network: 608 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 12:52 AM UTC
My digital camera (sony mavica) gets blurry if I zoom in too far. I've been using it's macro function which puts it on full wide angle, but I can get so close as to nearly touch the model and it stays clear. It's great for super close-ups.
One more thing about sunlight....if it's full sun hitting the model directly, it helps to filter it through a sheet of white paper or maybe a white sheet. I've used a sheet of paper, it dims the light just a little but diffuses it so it's not so harsh.
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 12:16 PM UTC
I also use a Sony Mavica. I am not a camera expert, but I have read that if you have a digital zoom it will blurr your picture. An optical zoom is better. Maybe some of the photogs here can expound on that.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 03:50 PM UTC
Mavica FD95 here. Optical zoom is best, it adjusts the relationship between your lens elements (the pieces of glass) to increase the focal length (telephoto has a longer focal length, wide angle has shortere). Digital zoom increases the size of the pixels., to individual bit of information your cameral records. Blurriness occurs as you attempt to enlarge the image. The ideal is a strictly optical zoom with very high megapixels. Both of these increase the copst of the camera. My digital has 2.1 mpix and a 10X optical and 10x digi zoom. Pretty good for internet use. At its highest resolution, 1200 or so, I can increase the imageby a facto of 12 before showing any degradation at all on the screen.
For extreme close-ups, I found using no zoom is best. I can just about touch the subject with the lens and get a clear picture. Even 25mm figures look pretty sharp.
 _GOTOTOP