_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
I wanna etch-a-sketch, i mean photo etched
19Delta
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 101 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 12:09 PM UTC
what is photo etched parts and all that stuff. would some explain to me what P.E is and where I can get my hands on some parts.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 12:46 PM UTC
19Delta, it's best if you go HERE to see what PE is. Basically it's super detail pieces made of brass for your model.
The kits can be had at nearly any online store, and in some better brick n mortar hobby shops.
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 805 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 12:51 PM UTC
PE is a small set of metal parts etched in acid that either replace kit parts or enhace kit parts with extra details. Most hobby shops carry some. I find mine online mostly, cause usually the sets are made for a specific kit (but can usually be used on any manufacturers kit) and it's easier to find particular sets at the big online hobby shops. Eduard, Reheat, and Detail Master are three of the companies making them, but I know there are lots more.

Other detail accessories to look for include cast resin pieces and white metal pieces.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 05:36 PM UTC
Squadron shop has a real good listing of what's available in photoetch. if you have their catalog, just look until you find the vehicle (or plane) you want to get a set for. Now you've got the number, you might try one of the discount places and see if it's cheaper. So the set arrives. It will overwhelm you at first. Look at the instructions that come with the set and decide how much or how little you want to use. Get a real sharrp pair of scissors (from one of those hobby tool places is best). Best to glue on using super glue. As you get more comfortabe wih it, you'll find yourself cutting away plastic parts from the kit and replacing it with brass. It does improve the look of most models
steve203
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 579 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 09:18 PM UTC
Hey, great article Ken. It pretty much summed it up.
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,144 Posts
KitMaker Network: 230 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 09:29 AM UTC
19Delta,

my advise as being a beginning user of PE myself, and I guess that most modellers will agree:

Do start out with the Eduard sets, or something similar. I have almost finished my first model using these, on a 37mm Flak 37. It looks great, I think it looks good for a first attempt, but even there there were parts where I was and am thinking a bit like: how the hell am I going to do that. Take your time, and be carefull with the super-glue. DO NOT START OUT WITH AN ABER SET. Their detail level might be unsurpassed, but I am convinced that if I had started with that set i would have gone crazy, and just woudl have been put of of using PE overall.

I also have one ABER set, for the 75mm Pak 40. It looks awesome on the fret , but also shows why these guys are called "the madmen from Poland". The level of detail is incredible(I am loking forward to recreating the rivets on the gunshield, and the support legs look like a lot of fun too !! (and a timeconsuming pain in the butt ). Most parts arenot bigger then a few (square) mm. I have already beens studying the fret and instructions quite extensively, but am stll figuring out how to plan these thingsin construction. I have come to one conclusion: Do the 20mm Flak firts with Eduard set, and then see again. An plan in a LOT of time in building the 75mm Pak.
Just to give you an idea: the have almost standard workable clamps, and one of their sets is a working toolbox with working tools !!! All in 1/35.

But enjoy, as I have certainly enjoyed my first experience using PE.

Harm
 _GOTOTOP