_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
10 second rant
pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 116 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 04:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am like Ron on this one. Im sick of these threads nothings changed. If you don't like it simply don't buy them. These threads really arn't going to change much. If you cannot afford expensive kits right now whats wrong with saving or re-do an old model?. I am still a student and I have a part time job If I can't afford something I want I save or sell off some of my stash to pay for it.
C[ ]

I'm afraid I agree. The price of models is an almost weekly complaint now and the same weary moans and explanations get circulated. I'm not reading much that's new (though I am still reading!) so could we all just agree that we'd all like to pay less for what we do? I've highlighted a bit in newfish's post that strikes me as sound advice. Surely we all used to save up for things that we really wanted? I still do, to some extent, and I've got a job and a salary and everything.

Dear Mr Moderator, could we perhaps have a sub-category for this kind of thread?
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,329 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 07:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I am like Ron on this one. Im sick of these threads nothings changed. If you don't like it simply don't buy them. These threads really arn't going to change much. If you cannot afford expensive kits right now whats wrong with saving or re-do an old model?. I am still a student and I have a part time job If I can't afford something I want I save or sell off some of my stash to pay for it.
C[ ]

I'm afraid I agree. The price of models is an almost weekly complaint now and the same weary moans and explanations get circulated. I'm not reading much that's new (though I am still reading!) so could we all just agree that we'd all like to pay less for what we do? I've highlighted a bit in newfish's post that strikes me as sound advice. Surely we all used to save up for things that we really wanted? I still do, to some extent, and I've got a job and a salary and everything.

Sean thanks man. I just don't get what moaning about it is going to do. I don't see why people can't just get over the fact moaning is going to do jack all.

techie
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 63 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 07:23 AM UTC
No one is saying give us the kits for free. What I'm saying is that we could be the last great age of model makers . When we first started out on this road the kits were cheap ,you could pay for expenisive ones if you had the money, but you could get your fix of kits from your local Woolies store at reasonable prices. Woolies is gone and so is the age of cheap kits. Why couldnt kit manufactures bring out basic kits for a few pounds to entice kids in the hobby. Loss leaders in fact, how many kids even have a hobby shop to go to? Papershops even had a range of inexpensive kids that you colud get when you went shopping with your mum. Come on yes save like we all do but if you never had the oppertunity of making a kit why would you start when you can afford the expensive ones? Phew time for a lie down here
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
entire network: 894 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 07:07 PM UTC
I see more and more of these threads popping up, but is it really that bad? When I go to my LHS they have a lot of kits, and what I see is a lot of difference in prices of kits depending the brand and the time they were introduced

Revell/Italeri - still cheap
Trumpeter - older ones still cheap, new ones expensive
AFV club - somewhere in the middle
Dragon - older ones still cheap, new ones very expensive
Tamiya - always was and will be expensive
Academy - also quite cheap

So it seems to me only the new stuff is getting expensive, the older kits are still affordable and there is a lot of choice regarding cheap kits. But which 12 year old kid needs indy links and PE and 6 different types of gun mantlets anyway. I know when I started I heardly could tell the difference between a Leopard and a Challenger and still had lot's of fun. I still have fun changing an old Dragon BTR-70 into a nice model with only added some brass wire handles which my LHS sells for 35 cents per meter and I put it into a dio with grounwork made of tea from used tea bags or coffee or herbs. It gives me more satisfaction than a 50 euro Pzkfw VI version something......

Ferrari's are also getting more expensive, but you don't hear me complaining since I just don't wanna buy one. Choise is everything
wombat58
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 366 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 09:57 PM UTC
I agree with most, moaning will do nothing. It's the same everywhere, we want better cars so they make them better but charge accordingly, same with white goods, furniture, buildings, everything. Model kits are no different, manufacturers are in business to make money, and by adding more and more detail ( which we demand) will naturally bump the price up, plus a little more for the effort they put into it. Honestly, the price I am paying for kits here in Australia I feel is very reasonable (I'm talking aircraft) and compared to overseas, mostly cheaper. I sympathise with those who live in a country where taxes on products push them way over the top, but there is the alternative to shop elsewhere, overseas, online, there are plenty of options. It all boils down to one thing, if you can't afford it, don't buy it, but don't blame the manufacturers for trying to make a living from their business.

Cheers

Current projects;
Wingnuts 1/32 Junkers J.1
Roden 1/32 de Havilland DH-2
Wingnuts 1/32 Bristol F.2b
Heller 1/72 L-749 Constellation (Qantas colours)
tigermothtimoth
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 21 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2009 - 07:53 AM UTC
Too many of us (I plead not guilty by reason of insanity) have large stashes of unbuilt kits and continue to add to them. Newer duplicate kits replace unbuilt older ones. Aftermarket brass and resin, airbrushes, compressors, paint booths, books and magazines for "research" abound. Saws, knives, sanding supplies, clamps, masking tape, various glues, paint and varnish are part of everyone's gear. These are the things that make this an expensive hobby.
Newer (aircraft) kits from Revell are a real bargain and they have re-released many fine old Matchbox kits at very good prices. Wonderful older Tamiya kits can be a great buy and most of the Academy line is inexpensive and nicely molded. Even many limited run kits, especially, Eastern European, are well priced and there are many other manufacturers whose kits won't set you back an arm and leg.
Some kits are over- priced. Don't buy them.

Cheers,Wayne
wombat58
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 366 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2009 - 06:19 PM UTC
you are so right Wayne with what you say. I have only just recently got back into serious medelling and needed to buy a heap of new gear. The cost of all this equipment is somewhat expensive and the more you buy the more you want. My total outlay could have funded a lot of nice models, but, it is all things that I needed to do a half decent job on my builds. A lot of the gear is a once only buy, I will have it forever, other stuff is consumeable and will need to be replaced at periodic intervals. I keep seeing all this wonderful stuff out there that would make life so much easier when modelling but I had to put the restraints on, I do want some cash left to buy a few more kits.

Cheers

Des.
 _GOTOTOP