_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Im Looking for that..Metal Look
19Delta
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 101 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 03:27 AM UTC
Working on the M113 still, and Im getting ready to paint it up. Im going to do that salt technique on it. Im going to need a base coat first, im looking to do a dull metal but not like an aluminum. Does anyone have any good ratio's for getting that metal look??
thanks!!!!!!!!
jejack2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 322 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 04:22 AM UTC
You could always try Model Masters Metalizers, they have different colors to represent different types of metals. The downside is they say they are for Air Brushes only. (never used them personally) My other suggestion would be see if you can find reference on what kind of primer would have been used. If the paint was to chip, it could chip only the top layer of paint, and not all the way to metal. Just an alternative suggestion. Good luck!
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 04:23 AM UTC
Ola 19delta

What I always do when I want something to show off as Metal then I usually spray the whole vehicle in panzergrey or german grey and spray the other paints on top of that leaving the grey shine through at the edges. Then I do as described in this article by martin wilson
Creating realistic metal finishes by martin wilson
Another thing I usually do is simply go along the edges of the vehicle where my grey paint is showing through with the pencil and then you also leave a layer of graphite wich is shiny and will show off as it`s like real metal

Hope it`s of some help

m:-)
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 04:42 AM UTC
I work with a lot of aluminum plate at work. Aluminum oxidizes pretty quick, especially if outside. A really fresh scratch on an M113 might be shiny but not for very long. Oxidized aluminum is a matte light gray. I'll see if I can post a pic as an example...

Shaun
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 04:45 AM UTC
I was going to point in the direction Faust did - thanks man.

You could also try using a pastel as a pencil substitution.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 05:02 AM UTC
Below is the picture. The bar on the left is "new" aluminum, the casting on the right is oxidized aluminum. I would imagine that scratches on the sides would oxidize fairly rapidly while areas worn by crew use would stay fairly shiny. Don't know if this helps at all or not.

Shaun

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 05:50 AM UTC
Hi all!

I actually use Model Master Metalizers with a paint-brush for small parts. They're great for radial engines and guns etc., because they dry so thin that they don't hide any detail.

You have to paint quickly, because they're supposedly "hot" i.e. the solvent may attack the plastic.

I've tried hand-brushing larger areas, but the result was very patchy... definitely best with an airbrush - then they're suberb!

All the best

Rowan
Pnzr-Cmdr
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 483 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 04:46 PM UTC
In the first post you mentioned the 'salt method' what is that? is it just like the baking powder method? enlighten me please.
thanks
 _GOTOTOP