History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
WW2 maps
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 02:05 AM UTC
I have found a site with a large number of WW2 maps. They are from both the European and Pacific theaters. Click here to access the site
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 03:03 AM UTC
That is one great site, thanks Marty :-)
ctmi911
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 151 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 05:18 AM UTC
Marty,

Very cool site. I think that I could spend hours poking around there, must be at least 50 maps just of Iraq!

Bookmarked that one for sure.

Thanks again,
Chris
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 05:25 AM UTC
Very cool site! Thanks,

Shaun
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 08:34 AM UTC
nice site.thanks Marty
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 07:40 PM UTC
Thanks, that site will be very useful
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 01:28 AM UTC
Nice link! I like it!
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 06:32 AM UTC
I know this will come in handy in the future!
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 06:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Having just watched (and am not re-watching) all 10 episodes of Band of Brothers, I decided to watch two other classic WWII movies in my DVD library, that being The Longest Day and A Bridge Too Far. I have noted a similar theme through many of these stories. With the exception of the paradrop scenes showing the sheer scale of these two historic operations (D-day and Market Garden), I am not seeing a whole lot of scenes showing the true air superiority that we had. In one early scene in ABTF we see a German anti-tank unit pounded by 500lb bombs in the trees (interesting they didn't fire their MGs once). But that is the last scene in the movie showing the use of fighter or bomber aircraft. Surely there must have been more than this? There are many scenes of German armor moving at will in Arnhem. Why didn't we just attack everything in plain sight? There are even some similar scenes in Band of Brothers where I wonder "why didn't they call for an air strike?". So my question is... "was our allied air superiority used correctly in that phase of the war?"

Cheers,
Jim

Yeah this is something I always think to myself, it seems that in the pacific, you seen a lot of Marine/Navy fighter/bombers gave the troop on the ground close support, but in the ETO, it seems to be less the case.

Correct me if I am wrong, I think this might have something to do with the WW II Army's layout, they had more artillery on their side, and once they were in trouble, the first thing they called up was the tube artillery, then armors, and whilst in the Pacific, when it was a main Marine cmapaign, the Marines because they usually fight on beach head that there were no real rear area for actual big caliber tube artillery to be properly deployed, so they more relied on close support Fighter/Bombers, hence, perfect the art of aerial close support.

My guess.