_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Beat the carpet monster
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 12:14 PM UTC
Don't know if the idea of a "technique" for searching for fallen parts has been addressed before but here are a couple I use. First is to do a grid search with a flashlight. I will hold the flashlight at different angles to create shadow changes and try to create a reflection off of a photoetch part. If this doesn't work quickly or if I really need the part, I take a nylon stocking, new and in good shape, place it over the nozzle on the vacuum hose and go over the area with that. The nylon will stop the part before it disappears for good. Don't stretch the nylon because it will create gaps or run and will allow the parts to get through. It will also ruin them and create problems at home.
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 02:39 PM UTC
Great help idea for sure.
However, this may not be useful if your floor space looks like mine right now

Very intimate knowledge of the properties of nylon stockings though...

keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 02:54 PM UTC
I model on a cement floor in the basement. Makes find small parts that end up on the floor pretty easy to find if you shine the flashlight parallel to the floor. Things that fly off onto the bench, not so much.
Shaun
Afroman
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 152 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2009 - 03:08 AM UTC
I read somewhere im not sure if it was steve zaloga but he staples a blue piece of nylon faberic to the edge of the desk and drapes it over his knees so when he drops that crucial piece he can easily find it on the piece of fabric.
wombat58
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 366 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 09:42 PM UTC
Very small parts that have ended up on the carpet and cannot be found with eye or torch can sometimes be picked up pretty quickly as follows;

I wrap some wide masking tape around my hand then gently "dab"the carpet each time checking the tape, nine times out of ten the part will appear stuck to the tape. Success with this depends on the carpet pile depth.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 02:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great help idea for sure.
However, this may not be useful if your floor space looks like mine right now

Very intimate knowledge of the properties of nylon stockings though...

Dang dude you been copying me.

Sweet that means work going on and not an Arm chair modeler.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 02:53 AM UTC
Good idea I use one of the old shark Vac's which sometimes finds it out right other times not.

But sometimes after looking for another part I will find one long lost many moons ago. but not the one I was looking for.

Strange stuff carpet.
I have heard of using the stuff that Jewelers use,easy to do get some fabric at Hobbly Lobby and some Velcro put a piece on the Fabric and a piece under the desk and you have a catch all.
discordian
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 239 Posts
KitMaker Network: 38 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 12:16 AM UTC
I use a Shark electric sweeper. It's not a vacuum - it's just the rotating brush part of an upright vac and brushes everything into a collection tray relatively gently. Everything I've swept up has survived anyway.
And I have a dark green based multi color carpet in my modeling room.
Anything small on a dark green or tan sprue disappears like magic.
Bissel makes similar, probably others too.
pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 116 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 01:46 AM UTC
Just walk around your desk in bare feet. Stuff that's too small to be spotted with an electron microscope will nonetheless be big enough and sharp enough to stick in your tender bits, and you can do the "found it!" dance (swearing optional).
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 170 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 02:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just walk around your desk in bare feet. Stuff that's too small to be spotted with an electron microscope will nonetheless be big enough and sharp enough to stick in your tender bits, and you can do the "found it!" dance (swearing optional).

Some 20 Denier stocking on the end of the vacuum hose works.... quite often!
How you get the Stockings is up to you...
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 02:50 AM UTC
I tried the jewlers apron tirck of velcroing an apron to the bottom of the workbench worked great....

until I stood up BEFORE removing the velcro..

Now an XL t-shirt in a light color draped over my lap keeps 99% of the tweezer launches within easy reach.

jim81147
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 56 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 04:03 PM UTC
I went to the home depot and bought 2 pieces of plastic runner , like what people use to put on the carpet in high traffic areas and on stairs , 6 feet long and duct taped them together . Then I just put that over my carpet at the bench . I can find about 95% of my "launches" now.
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 04:20 PM UTC
If I can't find a part I've dropped, I have a simple and exceptionally effective solution..........I yell for my wife. She has an uncanny ability to find literally any part that I drop. It is absolutely amazing!
miteco20
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 71 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 09:40 AM UTC
I have one of those clear plastic spiked rug deals like you have in the car and most of my parts are gray or tan with some exceptions so I just painted the mat dark green. Anything that falls is pretty easy to pick out. Now if it flys past the safe zone and into the dangerous tannish white carpet it is past the point of no return.
The_Madhatter
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 74 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 03:07 AM UTC
My method is rather crude. If the part is not visible to the naked eye, just get down on hands and knees. I take my hand and just start smacking the floor and move in a circular pattern. Anything small and light weight will just start bouncing up. If it hits my carpet 99% of the time I will find it this way. I have also used the tape method with success.
Spellbot5000
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 121 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 03:23 PM UTC
Clearly the only solution is to construct a private modeling room that is lined with a seamless sheet of white anodized aluminum, with lighting setup to eliminate shadows completely.

Sometimes I really, REALLY hate carpet.
Dogwatch
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 48 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 08, 2010 - 02:38 AM UTC
I simply put a white sheet on the floor under my table and anything that hits will show up immediately due to contrast. I do like the idea of putting some fabric between the table and yourself though. Good ideas and tips!
 _GOTOTOP