_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
best etch tool?
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,095 Posts
KitMaker Network: 279 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 07:31 AM UTC
Hey all,
im thinking of picking up a etch bending tool. Any opinions on which is best?
Thanks
Andy
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 08:49 AM UTC
Andy I have the etchmate C3. I have managed to use this tool and achieve the desired results, however the tools provided for bending the material when held is poor in my opinion as the edge is continually taken off when sliding it under the PE. I was also disappointed that the material used to make the product is a hard plastic, which when you consider the cost of this product I would have expected a metal product.
Here is a link to a review of the product so you can make up your own mind.
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 09:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Andy I have the etchmate C3.....I was also disappointed that the material used to make the product is a hard plastic, which when you consider the cost of this product I would have expected a metal product.

Darren, thanks for the heads up....PLASTIC?!! yes, i have to agree with you...for that price it should be machined metal, and that was what im looking for.
Ill be steering clear of that one!

Thanks!
Andy
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 09:13 AM UTC
Hold & Fold has a variety of models to choose from based on your needs. I have the 4" and have never had any complaints with it. Far superior to Etch-Mate in my opinion.
C.
redcobra04
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 235 Posts
KitMaker Network: 51 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 09:15 AM UTC
I have the Hold&Fold 4 inch PE bending tool by The Small Shop. Have had it for a year now. Wouldnt do PE without it. Made out of alunium. Very good quality. They have different sizes.Depends on your needs.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 09:15 AM UTC
Andy I don't know if you read the replies to the review as they refer to "space age materials". I suspect the hold and fold will be more to your liking.
mvfrog
Visit this Community
entire network: 369 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 09:19 AM UTC
I have a large metal folding tool, and the little hold and fold (I think that's what it is called. Small, easy, and makes great folds.

Matt
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 01:06 PM UTC
I used The Bug from TSS since 4 months ago and since then, I'm PE-holic... the bug do made my PE life easier....and i bought more PE just the test my PE handling skill and test the bug performance. Overall, i can give an A+ for the bug..

until now i just learned that the etchmate C3 was made in plastic....iyaksssssssssss..... and the price was a bomb!

c5flies
Visit this Community
entire network: 3,684 Posts
KitMaker Network: 411 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 02:46 PM UTC
Andy, I believe the Etch-Mate's price has been lowered...or one of the advertisers here (ModelExpo?) had it for about $40. Of course, I picked up a 5inch Hold & Fold from GreatModels for $50....sorry, no contest between the two, IMO. I'd love to get my hands on one of the original metal Etch-Mates, but don't think anybody wants to part with them
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 10:48 PM UTC
Me, too. The original metal Etchmate seems to sell for pretty salty prices nowadays. I watched one Ebay auction, placed a few bids too, but the bidding got out of hand for my wallet.

I've been looking a bending tool for some time now. Etchmate looks like it would be ideal, you could bend smaller pieces as well as longer ones like fenders. Too bad they stopped doing the aluminium version. Call it space age or high tech composite material, it's still plastic.

Are there similar tools around, combining a long folding edge and several small "fingers"? I don't remember finding such. Most seem to be either for long straight bends or small tools for intricate detail parts.
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 01:58 AM UTC
thanks everybody for your advice....im going to steer well clear of the plastic etchmate!

sounds like hold-n-fold is the way to go. Now to shop around and see what i find. Something along the 5" length would do the trick (alow me to bend finders and such)

Thanks!
andy
c5flies
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 02:38 AM UTC
Eetu,
The Hold & Folds have a long straight section, also. The top 'finger' section can be rotated 180' on the base. When I ordered my 5 Speed, it came with a 5" folding blade also, to help with the longer bends. A review by Mark Smith found Here shows a lot of the details.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 06:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Eetu,
The Hold & Folds have a long straight section, also. The top 'finger' section can be rotated 180' on the base. When I ordered my 5 Speed, it came with a 5" folding blade also, to help with the longer bends. A review by Mark Smith found Here shows a lot of the details.

Oh yes. Thanks!
Either I missed that one or completely forgot about it.
I'll look into that one too.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 12:07 PM UTC
I will have to weigh in on the side the etchmate. I have both the old and new 'plastic' versions (though I mostly use the orig metal vers.) and in my opinion the single simple feature that makes the etchmate better is the groove carved into the base just in front of the ends of the fingers.

The razor blade drops right into the groove and , while it seems like it shouldnt matter, makes knowing how far to slide the blade in very clear.

I can't tell from the review pics if the hold and fold have added this feature, but it makes a world of difference for me.

My US$0.02, your mileage may vary.

Mike
RickLawler
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 48 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2009 - 12:49 PM UTC
I'll jump into this conversation. I began using the Etchmate 3D a while ago thinking that all bending tools were more or less the same. Over time I found that the base material wore down making bending more difficult and less precise. I also found the "access" groove to be troublesome as it hindered attempts to make the small, edge bends.

I'm now using a number of the Hold and Fold tools from The Small Shop and I wouldn't even think of going back. The all metal designs and hard edged fingers make precise bending a breeze. I've also come to appreciate the convient release screw that allows for quick adjustments of the tools work area.

Also, for bending wire check out their Wrangler tool....a simple design that really works great for making accurate bends for grab handles, etc.

Highly recommended.
http://thesmallshop.com/

Take care,

Rick

SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2009 - 04:05 PM UTC
I bought the 8" Hold And Fold, then bought The Bug. The 8" is great for fenders and sheet armor, but The Bug is INDESPENSABLE! It does 90% of all PE folding you need, is compact and easy to handle, and also makes grab handles, lifting lugs, and headlight guards. Both are durable, precision, high quality tools.
I tried the Etchmate, they can keep it.
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,728 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2009 - 04:33 PM UTC
Well I brought one of the Etch mates plastic version and was so disappointed the cost for a lump of plastic. But I do have a small Atlantic Models PE Folding Tool No. 1 which I use all the time, and for around £4.00 you can't go wrong.
I may pick up a hold and fold at some stage but after paying all that money for the etch mate it put me off paying out large amounts for tools.

Ciao
Luciano
metooshelah
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
entire network: 1,507 Posts
KitMaker Network: 195 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 06:39 AM UTC
hmm, should i go for the 5.5" (5 Speed ) Hold and Fold or for the "bug"?
c5flies
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 01:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent question....we'll be reviewing both these items (along with some others) very shortly and hopefully will help you make a choice.

I'm also hoping that with the 'tool' reviews we can get some tips and tricks from the readers on using PE and somehow incorporate a complete PE reference section.
Removed by original poster on 08/13/09 - 10:44:47 (GMT).
c5flies
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 03:04 PM UTC
Oooops, should have made that more clear...more items from The Small Shop dealing with PE.

As far as tips and tricks, I think they should apply to whatever tools are used, just to make working with PE that much more enjoyable. I did a real quick one Here using nothing special.
metooshelah
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 02:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Excellent question....we'll be reviewing both these items (along with some others) very shortly and hopefully will help you make a choice.

I'm also hoping that with the 'tool' reviews we can get some tips and tricks from the readers on using PE and somehow incorporate a complete PE reference section.

been reading here and there, and most places highly recommend the 5" one, though Matthew Toms said the "bug" was indispensable. still, from looking on pictures of them. the 5" looks packed with more fingers and options
jaypee
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,699 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 09:11 PM UTC
I've just got Radub's Flipr 5 and am really pleased with it. There is a review in kitmaker of it. It was cheap €12 and is made from stainless steel so it should last. it comes in a 10inch size as well €25. there are various plates you can buy for it to do channel and tapered bends too.
metooshelah
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2009 - 04:21 AM UTC
I went for the 5 speed in the end. seemed to be packed with more options then the "bug"
chenmeifang
Visit this Community
Anhui, China / 简体
entire network: 6 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 - 09:40 PM UTC
learning...
 _GOTOTOP