_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
My Baby takes over panzer modeling room
musicwerks
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 375 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 - 04:28 PM UTC
Dear friends,

I am sure many of our new and veteran modeler fathers experienced this before.

My baby girl came out earlier than expected, to make room for the baby nursery, I gave up my modeling room (flats are small in Singapore as land area is expensive) with my gear and all toxic stashed into the cupboard.

I am a user of Gunze acrylics, thinner based and all- therefore harmful for babies and toddlers.

I am not really a supporter of Vallejo for airbrushing (puddles and slow drying time yet clogs up airbrush and finish is rougher than Gunze) but seems that that is the only least harmful one.

I tried to minimize the effects by using a DIY spray booth, PC fan but the effects are really quite limited.

Anyone has any inputs to safe modeling products or "best practices" to adopt to enjoy modeling like before while not putting baby's health at risk.

Open to discussions and inputs

Early Happy Father's Day

Cheers
Musicwerks
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,116 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,015 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 - 06:28 PM UTC
Hi, I cannot really offer any advice or a solution, Sorry bout that....Just wanted to say Congradulations and Happy Fathers day to you also. milvehfan
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
entire network: 2,093 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 - 09:02 PM UTC
First of all, congratulations!!!
I hope you, the Mss and the little one are ok!

As for the modelling, I experienced something similar.
This is how I managed;
1) put everything away for the first couple of months. You probably will have no time to model anyway. (sleepdeprivation, diperchanging, feeding etc... )
2) replace your "hobbyroom". Mine's in the kitchen right now. Maybe create a mobile workingplace. I took a kitchen cupboard, attached wheels and a top et voilá...
3) switch to acrylics where ever possible,
4) paint by hand/brush whenever possible,
5) make sure you lock up all your modelling stuff! And I do mean lock up!!
FalkeEins
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 868 Posts
KitMaker Network: 46 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 - 10:31 PM UTC

..great advice Ron .. I think I followed those points to the letter...congrats to Mum & Dad, and yes Kiong, not too much modelling over the first few months otherwise Mum will start complaining..!

musicwerks
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 375 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2009 - 12:24 AM UTC
Hi Neil and Ron,

Thanks guys!

Cheers
Kiong

Quoted Text

..great advice Ron .. I think I followed those points to the letter...congrats to Mum & Dad, and yes Kiong, not too much modelling over the first few months otherwise Mum will start complaining..!

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2009 - 12:28 AM UTC
Congrats on the Child but a man has to make decisions in this case.

Child or modeling
Child or modeling
Child or modeling

Well modeling is way cheaper,but I decided to keep the Children also,when I first had mine I switched to trains and I still have them put away for my retirement years.
So enjoy the child they can be cute like a kitten until older then well who knows.

Good luck and many more
The_Madhatter
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 74 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 - 04:43 PM UTC
First off, congrats on the new arrival, children are the best(at least till the teen years and then they hate your guts till they want money) I have a five year old daughter, and when she was first born I didnt really change my paints and glues as much as I changed my how I used them. I now mostly paint out doors with any toxic paints, such as spray cans. In cold weather I paint in the garage and then bring it back in as soon as its sprayed, it then goes into the bathroom with the exhaust fan on and door closed to gas out(also open the window if your bathroom has one) Next, if you have to use the kitchen or another room the baby has access to, just make sure to keep a small trash bin handy to discard any bits of sprue or any small pieces of scrap or trash and always make sure to clean up really good after a modeling session. If you have a portable work station that is stored in the open or is out quite a bit, take the time to put latches on the doors or drawers and make sure you use them. From a very young age my little girl was taught that some of daddys thing could hurt her and that she was not allowed to play with them. Also dont be affraid to smack curious hands, you might hurt there feeling at the time but it can also prevent injury. Children and modeling can co-exist happily in a small home with the proper precautions.
montythefirst
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 244 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 - 11:16 PM UTC
congrats on the new baby

i have a one year old son and it gets tougher the older they get so relish now, i still model but just not as often so appreciate more, lock up everything even if you don't think they can get into it they will believe me, its heratbreaking to walk into a room and see your son smashing your airbrush on the floor!

with the diy spray booth try replacing the pc fan with a kitchen extractor fan they are much stronger you can attach a length of tube to them and then pop that out a window to get rid of smells and chemicals. but to be fair as the other guys said you probs won't have much time in the first few months.

so good luck and enjoy being a dad

cheers

Simon
 _GOTOTOP