_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
high price of modeling
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 356 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 03:23 AM UTC
I was pretty shocked to see that ipms is making it mandatory to join their orginization to enter their shows. 25 bucks a year to join and 40 bucks to enter the show, now that's a bit more than I'm willing to shell out plus the cost of gas for driving the three hours to get there. in this economy it seems rediculously expensive. would have liked to go ( been to their shows before) but not at these prices.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 03:57 AM UTC
Sorry, but I have to call on this.

This has always been the rule for the IPMS Nationals, if you want to enter the competition, you have to be a member of the National organization. That's not at all unreasonable. And it is ONLY for the national event. Local and regional events do not require national membership.

The $25 membership for the year gives you 6 copies of the Journal, a publication that now rivals Fine Scale Modeler and that alone is worth the price.

You can choose to simply view the models and hit the vendors. From the Nats website: "The 2009 IPMS/USA National Convention will be open to the public. A single-day general admission ticket is $5.00, which permits entry to the convention, contest, and vendor rooms. A multi-day pass, good for 4 days for the event, is available for $10. You do not need to be a member of IPMS/USA to view the models.'
That admission price is a hell of a bargain. You could pay that much to PARK to get to pay for admisson to any event at a local fairgrounds near me. Most of our local shows charge as much for a walk-in visitor.

Registration is actually only $35 until 1 July and includes unlimited entries. Quite frankly, that's a pretty good deal. You'd pay that much for a round of golf at a public golf course and more than that to watch sports car racing at Lime Rock Park in CT and almost 10 times as much to see a single Red Sox game at Fenway park (not including parking and service fee,) In fact, National membership AND registration is less than the the 1/48 Tamiya Swordfish or their 1/35 Char B1 bis and less than half their FAMO and trailer.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 04:39 AM UTC
So if I understand this correctly............

Me as a Canadian, and want to come down for this show. I would have to fork out $25 to become a member of a club that has no chapters near me, as well another $35 to enter anything into the show? So in essence it is costing me $60 to enter the show......

I know, national show and all.....but that is a bit on the ridiculous side I think.

The $35 to enter the show....OK....but forcing me to become a member of IPMS as well and another $25.....mmmm think I will pass.

Thought about hitting the Nationals when it was back on the East Coast again in a couple of years, but will definitely have to re-think that if it is going to cost me $60+ to enter.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 05:05 AM UTC
I randomly googled "National conventions."

Here's the registration info for the model train national convention.
Full registration: $175,
one day registration: $60,
membership: $39-58;
non-member surcharge: $25.

On the professional level: Polyurethanes 2009 Technical Conference
Full Conference Registration : $950.00
Non Member Full Conference Registration: $1,100.00

National Association on Mental Illness
Last Minute
(after 6/5/09) member: $250 Non-member $295

$25 + $35 or 40 doesn't seem so much, now does it?

yak_v
Visit this Community
entire network: 4 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 07:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So if I understand this correctly............

Me as a Canadian, and want to come down for this show. I would have to fork out $25 to become a member of a club that has no chapters near me, as well another $35 to enter anything into the show? So in essence it is costing me $60 to enter the show......

Given how much you will spend to get there, on the hotel, on food and in the vendor room, crying about $25 is to say the least disingenuous. I know modelers are a tightfisted bunch but this is ridiculous...

Vladimir
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 07:44 AM UTC
From the 2009 convention website:

Quoted Text

In order to participate in the 2009 IPMS/USA National Convention, you must be a member in good standing of the International Plastic Modelers' Society. You may be required to show your IPMS Membership Card upon checkin, so be sure to bring it with you.

It does not state that you have to be a member of IPMS USA to participate. This should mean that membership in any of the international IPMS societies would make you eligilble to participate in the contest.

I'm not sure about where in Canada you are located in regards to an IPMS Canada chapter, but there may be one close by.

I find the $25 a year for the IPMS Journal to be a bargin. Unlike Al, I find it more useful than FSM and stopped buying that magazine long ago.
discordian
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 239 Posts
KitMaker Network: 38 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 08:39 AM UTC
considering what I pay my professional societies - with very little benefit aside from a couple bullet points on the CV - this is a super bargain.
I'm joining to get the journal if nothing else.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 356 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 12:44 PM UTC
fellows; the key words were ( in this economy). I find it hard enough to justify spending 50 bucks at the hobby shop let alone the hundred it would cost for a day there. compared to what the fellow listed above, yes it is cheaper no doubt, but priorities come first at that kind of money. I don't worry as the economy will travel on it's own accord, up and down and there are future shows to attend. What I do disagree with is the membership requirement. In the spirit of compatition, it should be open to all modelers regardless of a club membership or not. But, in all fairness, it's their show.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 02:20 PM UTC
In this economy...has Squadron given a poor economy discout? How about your LHS? Does Wal-Mart? Does anyone? Didn't think so.

Back in the day when I was running competitively, there were races that you had to have an AAU membership in order to run. That was the rule.In most classes of bicycle racing, you still need a license from the national sanctining board to compete, as well as paying any entry fees.

I don't think it at all unreasonable to limit competition at the nats to the those who actually support the organization. It's a choice you have to make with the resources you have available. The rule has been the same as long as there has been an IPMS/USA National. If you were an on-going member, your cost to attend would only be the registration fee. Again, the national membership includes the excellent Journal. If you haven't seen it in the last couple years, you are missing a truly exceptional publication.

Running any event faces the vagaries of the economy. Guess what, venues aren't giving discounts because the economy's in the toilet. In fact, since a contract has to be signed a couple years in advance, they'd have been looking at the economic situation of 2008, before $4 gas prices and a major recession. Contracts don't have a clause reducing fees because of outside issues. VA Beach in 2002 suffered as a result of 9/11. The nats are a huge expense to the sponsoring club, right a local club, not IPMS/USA.

Again, you get to look at everything for the cost of a tank of gas and $5.00 as well as shop at the vendors, who won't ask for your IPMS card to give you a show deal. You can even walk in any seminars goingon that day.

The $35-40 entry fee with unlimited entries means you could be paying very little for each of your entries.
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 02:46 PM UTC
40 bucks !!!! That's a steal

Bring some kit's down to do some trading , enter into the contest in hope of winning a ribbon .....Meeting new people who share a common interest in modelling subjects !
Pick up supplies and a few more kit's for the stash along with phone numbers and address from those individuals building lasting friendships . The extra knowledge you gain from the experience will last a life time .

The list for this can go on and on .............................

All for 40 bucks !!! yup that's a great steal !!!!!!!

Nuff said
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 03:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

it should be open to all modelers regardless of a club membership or not.

It is. Non-members get to enter for $65. And they get a $25 annual IPMS membership thrown in for free!

Rudi
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 1,138 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 03:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I randomly googled "National conventions."

Here's the registration info for the model train national convention.
Full registration: $175,
one day registration: $60,
membership: $39-58;
non-member surcharge: $25.

On the professional level: Polyurethanes 2009 Technical Conference
Full Conference Registration : $950.00
Non Member Full Conference Registration: $1,100.00

National Association on Mental Illness
Last Minute
(after 6/5/09) member: $250 Non-member $295

$25 + $35 or 40 doesn't seem so much, now does it?

I am not sure if comparing professional shows like the last two is comparable - more than likely the attendees are sent by their employers at little or no cost and business owners who attend would write it off as a tax break....I work in film and it costs $25,000 to get into the Oscars...... ...but most people are sent by the studios and production companies for free ....
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 03:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Back in the day when I was running competitively, there were races that you had to have an AAU membership in order to run. That was the rule.In most classes of bicycle racing, you still need a license from the national sanctining board to compete, as well as paying any entry fees.

Yeah, but you were running in more than one race no? So it spreads out over time as opposed to only running one race.

Quoted Text

It is. Non-members get to enter for $65. And they get a $25 annual IPMS membership thrown in for free!

Kind of a moot point if I am coming from Canada, closest Canadian IPMS chapter to me is Ottawa, a mere 12hr drive away.

We have about 4 clubs in the Maritimes (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI), none of them IPMS, and the closest 2 being about 90mins away.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem paying the $35 or $40 at the door to enter, but another $25 for a membership. Might seem like small potatoes to some of you. But even CDN IPMS shows don't "Force" you to buy a membership to enter into the show.

I have been to the Ottawa IPMS show a couple of times, and it doesn't matter if you are a member or not, you are treated the same way.

No, its not a "National" show.....but seems to me that IPMS is the only modeling organization that requires you to be a paid member to participate. NNL? Nope.....don't need to be a member. AMPS....nope, don't need to be a member. What makes IPMS so special or different? A magazine bi monthly? ooooooo where do I sign???
cinzano
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 419 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 04:02 PM UTC
Compared to bike racing, this is all pretty cheap. I've got no complaints!
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 04:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Yeah, but you were running in more than one race no? So it spreads out over time as opposed to only running one race.

Regardless, I still had to pay AAU dues. And got nothing else for it. No newsletter, no magazine.

Quoted Text

Kind of a moot point if I am coming from Canada, closest Canadian IPMS chapter to me is Ottawa, a mere 12hr drive away.

We have about 4 clubs in the Maritimes (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI), none of them IPMS, and the closest 2 being about 90mins away. [/quote]
There are many people who join IPMS and do not have a local club. Occasionally, one of them will stop by a meeting.

Quoted Text

I have been to the Ottawa IPMS show a couple of times, and it doesn't matter if you are a member or not, you are treated the same way.

No, its not a "National" show.....but seems to me that IPMS is the only modeling organization that requires you to be a paid member to participate. NNL? Nope.....don't need to be a member. AMPS....nope, don't need to be a member.

Precisely, it's not a national show. You can enter any of the dozen or so reginals and however many local events without membership in any organization.

Quoted Text

What makes IPMS so special or different?

Numbers. Of models on display. Of vendor tables. Of people to meet and greet and become friends with.

Quoted Text

A magazine bi monthly? ooooooo where do I sign???

IPMS/USA.Seriously, a magazine as good or better than Fine Scale for half the price. How many times do you really need to be taught how to use your airbrush? Let's see...$47.95 for 10 issues of FSM vs $25 for 6 Journals. Where's the better bargain?
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 04:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

We have about 4 clubs in the Maritimes (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI), none of them IPMS, and the closest 2 being about 90mins away.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem paying the $35 or $40 at the door to enter, but another $25 for a membership. Might seem like small potatoes to some of you. But even CDN IPMS shows don't "Force" you to buy a membership to enter into the show.

Hehe, 90mins? Ah, just round the corner then? I do feel for you though, and I apologise if my attempted jest offended you.

IPMS South Africa and their affiliated clubs didn't force one to buy a membership, but the cost of to enter a model was double (although this varied per contest) if one was/is a non-member.

Seeing how Kitmaker has the IPMS-UK Kitmaker Branch (which I think is the only virtual IPMS club), I wonder if it's possible for non-UK Kitmaker members to join this club? And if not, I wonder if it's viable for a North American (or better yet global) virtual club to be formed. Yes, I believe there are memberhip fees, but with a virtual club like the one hosted on Kitmaker - it's like having 24hr access to your club without having to leave the comfort of your home

Rudi
yak_v
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 04:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

fellows; the key words were ( in this economy). I find it hard enough to justify spending 50 bucks at the hobby shop let alone the hundred it would cost for a day there. compared to what the fellow listed above, yes it is cheaper no doubt, but priorities come first at that kind of money. I don't worry as the economy will travel on it's own accord, up and down and there are future shows to attend. What I do disagree with is the membership requirement. In the spirit of compatition, it should be open to all modelers regardless of a club membership or not. But, in all fairness, it's their show.

Once again - unless the Nationals are in your area, you will spend hundreds of dollars getting there and on the hotel and food. Not to mention the money people spend in the vendor room, so $25 extra to enter is a small percentage of that. Not to mention that you only have to pay that amount if you compete. To just walk in is something like $5 a day and you do not need to be a member. It sounds like you are not going to attend the Nats even if the entry was free...

Vladimir
pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 116 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 10:12 PM UTC
Aren't there on-line chapters of IPMS? I know IPMS UK runs one, and I doubt they're very picky about nationality.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 06:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hehe, 90mins? Ah, just round the corner then? I do feel for you though, and I apologise if my attempted jest offended you.

Yeah 90mins....not not that far, but not an IPMS club either. I usually travel this once a month to go to their meetings, and bring some stuff from the shop along the way. No complaints there. And no offense taken!

However the 2 closest Canadian IPMS clubs is Ottawa, 12hr drive away, or St.John's, NF, a 12hr drive and a 6hr boat ride. Little to far to go for a monthly meeting.

Quoted Text

IPMS/USA.Seriously, a magazine as good or better than Fine Scale for half the price. How many times do you really need to be taught how to use your airbrush? Let's see...$47.95 for 10 issues of FSM vs $25 for 6 Journals. Where's the better bargain?

IPMS/USA.....you hit the nail on the head.....I am in Canada....are they going to ship the magazine to me in Canada? Maybe....but probably not.

And I don't buy FSM as I don't think its worth the price either, so no issue there.

Quoted Text

so $25 extra to enter is a small percentage of that. Not to mention that you only have to pay that amount if you compete. To just walk in is something like $5 a day and you do not need to be a member. It sounds like you are not going to attend the Nats even if the entry was free...

I would go when it is back on the East coast.....but not with the extra fees.

Small percentage? Sure.....but that money could be put to better use in the vendors room, hell that is a meal for 2 people. Maybe its not much to the rest of you, but if I am not going to get anything in return other than a half dozen magazines that I might get because I am in Canada.....I have better things to spend my hard earned money on.

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

No, its not a "National" show.....but seems to me that IPMS is the only modeling organization that requires you to be a paid member to participate. NNL? Nope.....don't need to be a member. AMPS....nope, don't need to be a member.

Precisely, it's not a national show. You can enter any of the dozen or so reginals and however many local events without membership in any organization.

Quoted Text

What makes IPMS so special or different?

Numbers. Of models on display. Of vendor tables. Of people to meet and greet and become friends with.

NNL Nationals, heck NNL East or West, AMPS Nationals, Wonderfest, Scottish IPMS Nationals, Scalemodelworld, Euromilitaire ....I dare say are all "National" shows, as big or bigger than IPMS US Nats and they don't require you to become a member.

Maybe small potatoes to the rest of you....but seems like a money grab to me.
yak_v
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 - 06:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

IPMS/USA.....you hit the nail on the head.....I am in Canada....are they going to ship the magazine to me in Canada? Maybe....but probably not.

There is such a thing as international mail. Yes they will send it to you in Canada...

Quoted Text

I would go when it is back on the East coast.....but not with the extra fees.

O yeah... $500-700 for airplane ticket (or $200-300 for gas if driving), another $200-400 for the hotel room, $100 or so for the food, plus whatever you spend in the vendor room, and $25 is the reason you will not go? Give me a break...

Quoted Text

NNL Nationals, heck NNL East or West, AMPS Nationals, Wonderfest, Scottish IPMS Nationals, Scalemodelworld, Euromilitaire ....I dare say are all "National" shows, as big or bigger than IPMS US Nats and they don't require you to become a member.

US Nats on average have 2200 to 2500models, NNL West is around 2000 models so it is smaller than most of the nationals, AMPS Nationals is about 500 models, Scottish Nats (looking at the photos) seem to be about half the size of the US Nats, Wondefest as about 400 models so it is also smaller. And AMPS does require you to be a member of AMPS to participate in the Nats, so does IPMS UK (they require you to be a member of any IPMS organization in the world just like US). So how about learning some fact before posting?

Quoted Text

Yes, Yes... Evil IPMS wants to steal all of your money... How dare they have their own requirements for participating in their National contest....

Vladimir
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2009 - 04:05 AM UTC
Something to think about. Any cardholding member of IPMS from any country should be able to enter our national show. I see no point in a modeler from another country having to be a member of ipms/usa to compete here. I think the spirit is served by belonging to ipms of their own country.
capnjock
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2009 - 10:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's not a money grab, but has always been part of the IPMS USA Nationals. No show in Canada has ever really tried to compare and IPMS Canada isn't run the same way as IPMS USA. It is the membership fees that, in part, allow them to put on the show. However, if you don't want to pay IPMS USA, a membership in any IPMS National organisation is accepted. As a past member of IPMS Canada, that has been good enough to get in to three past Nationals.

As a member of the executive of another modelling orginisation (AMPS) I can tell you that the economy is hitting hobby organisations as well. The line has to be drawn somewhere and given that major shows like the IPMS Nats are planned and partially paid for well in advance, a stable funding formula has to be applied. The organisation can't afford to change what they charge based on future economic conditions.

I do get your point that, for you, the $25 would be better spent buying another kit or a meal or two, but the other side of this is that the $25 allows there to be a show where you can buy the models & compete. Without the money (from allsources) the show would fade away and you wouldn't have to worry about driving, spending, models or membership.

If you are that concerned abut minimising the cost of such a membership, I'd joint IPMS Canada for the (I think) sum of CDN$25 as opposed to paying the international IPMS/USA rate of US$30, which they will charge you as a Canadian member whether you sign up in the US or from Canada.

Paul
(who founded the IPMS/Nfld club lo these 30 years ago...)
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2009 - 10:57 AM UTC
I would be more curious as to why the local chapter (or chapters) should put on the show, create the web site, handle the registrations, money, hotel bookings, etc, and then get nothing out of it for themselves except the honor of having the show in their region.

What does the IPMS USA organization do besides publish a magazine and have a national Web site? This isn't rhetorical I am really asking.

Jim
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 01:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would be more curious as to why the local chapter (or chapters) should put on the show, create the web site, handle the registrations, money, hotel bookings, etc, and then get nothing out of it for themselves except the honor of having the show in their region.

What does the IPMS USA organization do besides publish a magazine and have a national Web site? This isn't rhetorical I am really asking.

Jim

In our lawsuit-happy society, they provide the event insurance to all IPMS sanctioned events. They fund the Make & Take* program that many shows and clubs use, and they assist in providing the advertisement for shows.

They also provide a set standard for contest rules and competition. It's argueably one of the more important notions that a national club can have; one set of standards so that anyone entering the Nationals already has a good idea of the standards and criteria expected if they've competed in the local or regional level.

*From the IPMS website:

Quoted Text

Manufacturers have ceased supplying these kits to IPMS free of charge, but several have continued to support our efforts by providing a much appreciated and large discount on the purchase of models. Even with this discount, the last order for 900 kits priced out at $3,908.89. If IPMS were to continue supplying kits and supplies at this rate in 2009, the cost for Make N Take could approach the $10,000 figure. Shipping costs have also increased recently, with charges last year totaling $961.97. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

mvfrog
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 369 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 03:57 AM UTC
I have been reading this thread, and, although I have never been to a national show, I have attended a couple of the regional shows here in San Jose. The value is really there for these shows. I see some beautiful work, get a lot of ideas and tips, and the vendors are incredible. I have found kits I didn't know existed, aftermarket parts I never would have found from some small manufacturers, and walked back in time with some old kits and items long out of production. I pay to support this effort. If it ceases to exist, it would be a shame, and is worth a few bucks, bad economy or not (incidentally, I live in Silicon Valley...not known known for being one of the least expensive places in the U.S to live). The IPMS is worth the money to support. So, as I see it, if you do not want to pay the money, don't go. It is not your right to participate, it is a choice that you make. Just don't keep going on and on about it. That's my opinion.

Matt
 _GOTOTOP