_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Do you have a modelling Schedule?
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 08:57 AM UTC
I was trying to get a diorama finished this week and made a kind of schedule at the start of each day of what needed to be done and in what order. At the end of each day I loooked at my progress and made a schedule for the next day. It worked for me me in that I got my project finished.

I never made a schedule of work before. I generally just do what I feel like doing with the result that nothing ever gets finished.

Anyone work to a schedule?
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 09:12 AM UTC
Sort of - I have a goal of how many I'd like to get done in a year and then back into how long each should take.
Within each I do set a goal for a week or so. Not firm, but something to keep me focused on what needs attention.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 12:17 PM UTC
I kind of do what Scott does, but if I were to make and rigidly follow a schedule, then this would turn nto a chore rather than be a hobby. This recreation, if I say I am going to spend 6 hoursmodeling and a buddy calls and wants to watch a game or go out to eat....well so much for the schedule ....right. I figure by the month. Kongo 4 months, railcar 2 weeks, B-58 Hustler - 1 month, Fletcher 6 weeks. My goal is simple....build more than i buy. Right now I am dead even, by end of July I hope to say the same.or be ahead in more built than bought.
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,329 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 12:36 PM UTC
I think mine is prtty well sorted out!.

Eat.
Sleep.
Wake up.
Model.
Eat
model.
eat.
work or see the other half
model
eat
sleep;)

tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 2,713 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 02:18 PM UTC
I have a lot of unpainted models. I guess its that fear of not being able to build what I have bought over the years. Now that I've time on my hands, its up to the painting jobs. I have put down some small notes so I can remember what I need to do for the day (or night). While one is drying, I try to move on to the next. If I get to screw it up, I think it over and get back on it the next day. There are days though that there seems to be in itch in doing it, so I give it a rest. Yeah, and basically eat, sleep, and talk to the SWMBO in-between. Cheers
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 11:20 AM UTC
Not me Pat I am to unorganized to follow it anyway.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 12:03 PM UTC
I ask because I realise having even a loose schedule helped me to do more modelling in a week than I've done since the start of the year. I think I will start making a schedule for each project ro stop me being one of those modelers who does more talking about modelling than actual modelling.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 12:12 PM UTC
I virtually live my life by schedule: wake up at XX, be at the train station by XX, work from XX, work for X hours, be at this meeting or that at X for Y... so the last thing I try to do by schedule is my hobby. While it's fine for me to work to schedule on things such as reviews and articles (well attempt to), I can't physically model to a schedule. I've tried it, I can't, it ruins the fun for me... That said, I admire those that can...

What I can, however, work to is a process or order of events - but that wasn't the question
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 12:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What I can, however, work to is a process or order of events - but that wasn't the question

Well maybe that's what I mean Rudi. Instead of saying "at 7.15 I will work on the M4A1's tracks" I should say "I need to finish the M4A1 before I even think about opening the AFV Churchill box"
scj1014
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 56 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 02:04 PM UTC
Actually, I find this idea of modelling to a schedule somewhat intriquing.

Especially since I can't seem to find the time to do any modelling lately.
Maybe a schedule would get me focused and force me to find time to actually work on a model...God knows there are enough of them half-built on the bench.
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 3,684 Posts
KitMaker Network: 411 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 04:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I need to finish the M4A1 before I even think about opening the AFV Churchill box

That's the key, Pat, and where a 'loose' schedule would work. Setting your sights on a set project and goal, IMO, doesn't turn it into a task and take the enjoyment out of modelling....just makes you more productive. And in the end I believe you'd feel more pleased with yourself.

If I have a project that I want to finish, I start a build log on the forums. That keeps me focused and on a 'schedule' of sorts. Sometimes I even post what's coming up in the next installment, which kind of makes me obligated (in a good way) to get that section done.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 05:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well maybe that's what I mean Rudi. Instead of saying "at 7.15 I will work on the M4A1's tracks" I should say "I need to finish the M4A1 before I even think about opening the AFV Churchill box"

Hi Pat,

Yup, that was my interpretation of the question (note to self, more sleep and more coffee before replying to posts ).

In terms of a project, yes, I will make a list of tasks which need to be completed, but generally I work a bit here, a bit there - unless I'm documenting it for a particular purpose such as a SBS.

With regards to James, blogging and incentive to finish comment... well I'm a habitual non-finisher, so you guys should generally be accepting that any blog I start may not get finished by now

Rudi
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
entire network: 894 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 07:15 PM UTC
well,

I made a schedule a while ago because I saw my pile of (unfinished) kits in stock was increasing. First I gor rid of all the crappy old kits from the 80ies. Now all I have left are good plastic kits and a bunch of resin ones. Still 22 to go before my pile is gone. I plan on 1 model a month. Let's see if that works with this sunny weather
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 11:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I ask because I realise having even a loose schedule helped me to do more modelling in a week than I've done since the start of the year. I think I will start making a schedule for each project ro stop me being one of those modelers who does more talking about modelling than actual modelling.

That is funny.

More talk then modeling.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 01:29 AM UTC
No schedule for me,then it's too much like real work,but I guess I do follow a schedule of sorts when I join a campaign,you have a due date,but definitly not a daily schedule.I work on kits when I have the time or desire.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 02:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I work on kits when I have the time or desire.

Time management is my problem. Sometimes I have both the desire and the time but either get sidetracked.....I'll just check my email....and suddenly three hours on the web have gone by or even worse I can't get out of the chair while the TV is on so instead of modelling I end up watching reruns of CSI or two and a half men.

mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 04:57 AM UTC
I have schedules at work so that's what I equate them with. For me, modeling is something to do when I want to, not when I have to.
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
entire network: 1,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 107 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 05:20 AM UTC
Some interesting thoughts up there
My schedule is when I start a diorama, I always finish it.
When I have the time during the day to think of what i will be doing on the evening, I do it on the evening, if I had no time to think about the work, well I read a book
Tojo72
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 05:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I work on kits when I have the time or desire.

Time management is my problem. Sometimes I have both the desire and the time but either get sidetracked.....I'll just check my email....and suddenly three hours on the web have gone by or even worse I can't get out of the chair while the TV is on so instead of modelling I end up watching reruns of CSI or two and a half men.

I hear what you are saying!!! television is the biggest timewaster,I can spend hours just flipping channels
montythefirst
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 244 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 06:09 AM UTC
I have done in the past for diorama etc which did help only thing with making the things was i realised i was spending to much time make the schedule that could have been spent building the diorama so now i tend to keep a post it or piece of paper handy and just note down what needs to be done here and there

cheers

simon
Damraska
Visit this Community
entire network: 580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 77 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 07:57 PM UTC
I often find myself with so many projects underway that I loose focus, get frustrated, and avoid the whole mess. To get restarted I sometimes make task lists. I pick a project or two and list every step to get from where I am to completion. The process of making a task list reminds me of where I am in a project, restoring much needed focus. As I complete tasks and cross off line items. a feeling of real progress comes back. Pretty soon I've made significant progress, know exactly what I need to do next, and once again feel like finishing. It also increases efficiency since there's much less inclination to sit down and muse, "oh gee, what do I feel like doing today?", which just leads to more unfinished projects.

-Doug
Jasonbee71
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 686 Posts
KitMaker Network: 74 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 08:32 PM UTC

I wrote out a quick schedule for my current campaign build, otherwise it won't get finished (and it's gotta be done by the end of the month ) I think a schedule for a build that has a time frame is a good idea, and something I'll do in the future, so I don't end up leaving it all to the last minute

Jason
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 - 10:35 AM UTC
I use a schedule if I find that I am getting a little frazzled with a build. With a schedule, I am able to build just what is on the list for that day without getting paralyzed by the scope of the whole model.
capnjock
mvfrog
Visit this Community
entire network: 369 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 - 11:34 AM UTC
I've been told that I can build as long as I want on the second Tuesday of next week. The whole day is mine.

Matt
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,329 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 - 01:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Pat,

Yup, that was my interpretation of the question (note to self, more sleep and more coffee before replying to posts ).

In terms of a project, yes, I will make a list of tasks which need to be completed, but generally I work a bit here, a bit there - unless I'm documenting it for a particular purpose such as a SBS.

With regards to James, blogging and incentive to finish comment... well I'm a habitual non-finisher, so you guys should generally be accepting that any blog I start may not get finished by now

Rudi

Rudi: I wrote that as a basis on my current situation I've finished college until september now But i've done little modelling in retrospect, since ive got all this free time I don't think I have never been this busy! the time just comes and goes!. As for unfinished projects don't even go there out all the projects ive blogged on here I think one of them has been finsihed the rest ive broken or simply thrown out because there utter crap! Since my break from the Hobby i have sorted out my stash i've planned to get rid of a few things and reduce it completely! I now am focusing on one single project! and I started a week or so ago but its going to slow! Ive done little amounts. Work has been so mad!. Im doing 6 days a week and most of the spare tme I spend with the other half I was hoping to get the diorama done for 3 weeks but not a chance Im going to be lucky to get it done for september ! I know how you feel about time! once you have moved it should be ok buddy!

so unfinished builds are my middle name!

_GOTOTOP