_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Kiwi Korner
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
best place to get air brush in NZ
garyinnz
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 15 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2009 - 05:01 AM UTC
HI does any one have some ideas where the best place to get a airbrush and compressor . I m a beginner an need any advice i can get .

thomokiwi
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
entire network: 438 Posts
KitMaker Network: 52 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2009 - 09:32 AM UTC
Trademe does have good starter compressor and airbrush packages. I have brought my air-brushes from overseas as our retailers have a bit of a habit of adding a nice chunk. You can find good deals for brushes on the net, I got my last one through the Chicago Airbrush Company. As for compressors, again they are on trade me. I don't think I would bring one in from overseas as the postage would kill.
You should expect to layout between $200 - $400 so its not cheap. Tamiya have a set which you can pick up at a decent price at most hobby/model shop.

Hope thats of some help
chris1
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 949 Posts
KitMaker Network: 129 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2009 - 10:44 AM UTC
Hi Gary
Welcome.

If on the North Shore Hobby City in Albany or there is also an art shop in the plaza development up by the court they also are very helpfull

Ace Hobbies in Birkenhead have a basic tamiya set up with a compressor,

HTH

Chris
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
entire network: 795 Posts
KitMaker Network: 45 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2009 - 01:26 PM UTC
I bought mine at Super Cheap Auto in Westgate, $30 for a dual action one ( was on sale, normally $40 ). Comes with hose, two bottles, colour cup and bench hanger.

Works fine for my needs, once I get more proficient I'll look at something more highend but couldn't see the logic in paying $150 for one I didn't really know how to use.

As for a compressor I got a G-Force one from Mitre 10 in Westgate for $150. It's your normal regular sized garage compressor but has a regulator and only takes a few minutes to charge if I start it at 50psi. Then just drop the regulator down to 20-30 and it does all I need as I seldom use it for more than 15 minutes at a time.

I realise full sized compressors aren't the ideal for models if you don't have the room or a heart condition ( scares the crap out of you when it kicks back in if the pressure gets too low ) but works for me and I also have the advantage of being able to use it for other things. Only thing was needing to get an adaptor for it which was cheap, just screws on where the hose goes and allows you to connect the smaller airbrush hose.
garyinnz
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 15 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2009 - 05:49 AM UTC
cool what is the ideal psi i need
nzgunnie
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 371 Posts
KitMaker Network: 122 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2009 - 10:51 AM UTC
ebay!

Although with the weaker dollar at the moment it's not as good as it used to be, it's still better than any retailer in NZ. Both the 'real' brands and the chinese knock offs are cheaper.

Here's the best guy to get Iwata brushes from:
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Lewis-Online-Shop__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Have a look around on there though, if you don't want to splash out on a brand name brush, there are a huge number of generic brushes available.
russ
Visit this Community
entire network: 432 Posts
KitMaker Network: 57 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2009 - 12:58 PM UTC
Some great advice there for you. My first airbrush was the Tamiya Sprayworks system, its a basic one but very good for learning how to airbrush. It is only single action and the compressor doesn't have a regulator on it hence why its called the basic model.

As for what psi to use that depends on the paint type (acrylic or enamel) an your paint/thinner mixture and the effect you are after, whether you are doing a base coat or puttting camoflage or similar pattern on your model.

Long story short what ever you get just play with it alot and see what works, an old kit you may use as a test piece for different things is very handy and once your happy then have a go on your first model.

Hope this helps

Neil
silent-one
Visit this Community
entire network: 86 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 02:15 PM UTC
definatly e bay. I bought an Iwata ch hp for about $230NZ new. thats less than half the normal price here. some good online shops on e bay.
 _GOTOTOP