_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Good hobby shops in New York?
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 06:16 AM UTC
Hi everyone!

I'm going to NYC next month to visit some friends of mine, and was thinking about checking out some hobby shops there as well as the usual "must-sees".

Googling turned up quite a bunch of hits, but I'd like to hear your recommendations, as I'm only staying about a week and can't go visit all of them.
Tips and pointers are most welcome. If there's significant variation in product selection and specialities between shops, I'd be interested in ones dealing with:
- armor
- aircraft
- figures
- sci-fi
- tools & mics. accessories.

Thanks in advance.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 03:55 AM UTC
No one here's around from NYC, then?
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 11:01 AM UTC
I live in New Jersey and I don't think that there are any in NYC of course I'm not sure,but in northern NJ there is Maplewood Hobby on Springfield Ave in Maplewood NJ and Ridgefield Hobbies on Broad St in Ridgefield,not too far from the city.

A must see would be the USS Intrepid Museum on the Hudson

hope this helps a little.
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,698 Posts
KitMaker Network: 41 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 12:48 PM UTC
I work in NYC and honestly,, there is no "must see" hobby shop; you are better off buying stuff online.

I WOULD very strongly ditto the recomendation to see the newly refurbished Intrepid museum:

http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/

browse the web site, amazing array of aircraft (and some ships).
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 - 04:26 AM UTC
Thanks for the pointers.

The Intrepid museum sure looks like a place to check out.
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
entire network: 3,377 Posts
KitMaker Network: 925 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 - 04:56 AM UTC
Dave once took me to Ridgefield Hobbies on Broad St in Ridgefield - its a "real" hobby shop with a good selection of obscure kits out back.

Have a nice trip!

Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 - 08:18 AM UTC
Thanks. I'll see what kind of excursions I'll be able to make with my limited time there.

I have a feeling it's gonna be an awesome trip.
BaconPaws
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 35 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 06:21 AM UTC
What about the Red Caboose ? Not much armour, but plenty for the modeller to nose around !

http://www.theredcaboose.com
jowady
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 115 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 08:29 AM UTC
The economics of NYC don't allow for hobby shops, (rents are too high). Must sees for someone interested in military history include Grant's Tomb in Riverside Park, Battery Park, with Castle Clinton, part of the old Harbor Defenses and jumping off point to visit the Statue of Liberty (which will soon be completely reopened) as well as monuments to New Yorkers killed in the World Wars (1 out of every nine men drafted into the US Army in WW2 was from the City) and a statue to John Ericsson, creator of the USS Monitor. In lower Manhattan is Fraunces Tavern, where George Washington gave up command of the Continental Army, ensuring that the US would be a democracy and not a military dictatorship. South Street Seaport has a couple of preserved square rigged ships, as well as smaller vessels. If you visit Chinatown/Little Italy, realize that many of the buildings are from the 1840s, they once made up the neighborhood known as "The Five Points" and played a prominent role in the Draft Riots of 1863 (during the American Civil War.) I believe that in the Churchyard of Trinity Church you can find the grave of Captain James Lawrence, commander of the hard-luck USS Chesapeake, who was killed when she was taken by HMS Shannon during the war of 1812. Lawrence is famed for his dying words, "Don't give up the Ship" which became something of a motto in the US Navy. This is of course in addition to all the other stuff there is to see and do.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 - 02:21 AM UTC
Hey that's familiar, my friend sent me a link to Red Caboose when I mentioned hobby shops. I have to mark that on my map.
I guess going through yellow pages when I get there wouldn't hurt either.

John, thanks for the tips. Thank you to everyone, you've been most helpful.

dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 356 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 12:58 PM UTC
if it's not too late try hiway hobbies on route 17 in Mahwah New Jersey. Last I knew they were still up and running. Pretty good selection.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 01:33 PM UTC
Ever since Polks and ACE(old Gateway) went out, I've yet to find a "Good" hobby shop in NYC. That in a shop for modelers, Rents in NYC bring about extremely high selling prices. There are or were some decent ones out on Long Island, sorry can't think of their names now---- old age, and it's been years since I've been out there.
Go west young man to New Jersey.
across the GW bridge there's Ridgefield Hobbies where lies a mecca for the modeler, although his website doesn't show it, there is a treasure trove hidden in the basement and back rooms. Tell Jim Grumpy sent you and he'll give you the grand tour, and even show you the collection he bought off of me years ago. Took him and his dad, and a few others several days to remove it from the house.
Hi way Hobby is still there and going strong the last time I was up there.
Then there's Maplewood Hobbies in Maplewood NJ, and Hobby Masters over in Red Bank, NJ.
I have several close to my house in Morris county, Kenville Hobbies, F&G Hobbies, and Hobby Hut, with in a 30 minute drive.
discordian
Visit this Community
entire network: 239 Posts
KitMaker Network: 38 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 02:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ever since Polks and ACE(old Gateway) went out, I've yet to find a "Good" hobby shop in NYC. That in a shop for modelers, Rents in NYC bring about extremely high selling prices. There are or were some decent ones out on Long Island, sorry can't think of their names now---- old age, and it's been years since I've been out there.
across the GW bridge there's Ridgefield Hobbies where lies a mecca for the modeler, although his website doesn't show it, there is a treasure trove hidden in the basement and back rooms. Tell Jim Grumpy sent you and he'll give you the grand tour, and even show you the collection he bought off of me years ago. Took him and his dad, and a few others several days to remove it from the house.
Then there's Maplewood Hobbies in Maplewood NJ, and Hobby Masters over in Red Bank, NJ.
I have several close to my house in Morris county, Kenville Hobbies, F&G Hobbies, and Hobby Hut, with in a 30 minute drive.

I'm on my way to Hobby Hut and Zeppelin Hobbies this AM.
I was at Hi-Way Hobby a couple weeks ago and wasn't blown out of the water.
I need to get to Ridgefeild HObby, but it's quite a ways from Butler.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 08:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

if it's not too late try hiway hobbies on route 17 in Mahwah New Jersey.

Sorry, it's kinda late. I'm back home.

Looking back, I should gone for a longer trip (like come back on friday or saturday this week). Unfortunately my brief visit also didn't go quite as planned. Thursday was one single whole day there when I felt completely fine (Tuesday doesn't count because I was leaving that day). New York literally made me sick.
To say I'm not disappointed as hell would a gross all-out lie. This SO just my luck. I don't even remember the last time I was sick.

Naturally, I could hardly check any of the places and sights I had in mind.
Well, at least I found a couple of cds at one record store and could do some souvenir shopping on Tuesday before taking the cab to JFK. (these 'Bush pennies' are just priceless!)

Next time I'll make sure I'm there long enough to shrug a major cold, influenza or anything out of my system and still have time to check out the place properly.

MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 08:23 AM UTC
I know it's not a NYC shop, but maybe someone here knows the answer.

Long long (20yrs already?!?!? da-ummm, I'm OLD) ago there was a hobby shop just down the road from Campmor in Paramus NJ, back then there was a Cabela's outdoor store there too.

I seem to remember it being in a HUGE (for a hobby shop) space in a semi-dead strip mall, set back up off Rt9 across a large parking lot.

I drive past on the highway every now and again, but haven't ever had time to go look and see if it is still there.

I'm guessing I can cross this one off the mental map of Hobby Shops in the Northeast, huh?

Mike
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 10:24 AM UTC
Eetu, sorry to hear you spent your time here sick.

Scott, where's Zeppelin Hobbies? I'm in Lake Parsippany.

Mike, I vaguely remember the Paramus store, but can't remember it's name, but I think it was longer than 20 years ago. As for Hi-way, I haven't been up there in about a year now so can't say how the pick-ems are, but I've been shopping there since I'm about 5 or 10, when it was located about a 1/2 mile south of it current location, and 17 was a 2 lane hi-way, with stop lights and no over passes, and NO MALLS.

I think the place you are thinking of is the old Ridgefield Hobbies, it was located back then in a much larger store, on the south bound side of Rt 1&9. I Found that place in the 70's after I got out of the Navy, been going there ever since. I still swing by occasionally when in the area. It was owned by Jim's Mom and Dad back then, (the classic family business) It's basically in the same location, directly across the hi-way, on the north bound 1&9. The big parking lot is now the Ridgefield Park Police Station.
discordian
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 11:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

After years in Riverdale they are now in Wayne on Rt. 23 North.

http://www.zephobby.com/

They don't have much in the way of plastic kits: they specialize in Slot Cars, Rocketry, and RC Helicopters. But they have decent selection of tools and paints and they are very nice people. Good birthday party place for kids - a couple hours of slot car racing is always a rip.

I haven't been to Kenville Hobby since I worked in Wharton until 2003 - How's the kit selection? I can drop the wife at Rockaway mall.....
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 01:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

After years in Riverdale they are now in Wayne on Rt. 23 North.

http://www.zephobby.com/

They don't have much in the way of plastic kits: they specialize in Slot Cars, Rocketry, and RC Helicopters. But they have decent selection of tools and paints and they are very nice people. Good birthday party place for kids - a couple hours of slot car racing is always a rip.

I haven't been to Kenville Hobby since I worked in Wharton until 2003 - How's the kit selection? I can drop the wife at Rockaway mall.....

Thanks, I never was any good at slot cars, but sounds like a fun get away for some boring Saturday. I'll have to give it shot.

Kenville has a pretty good selection of kits, especially for the size of the store, and of course Richie will order anything for you. ( I think he bought someones collection, as on my last visit, there were a bunch of long out of production kits on the shelf.) Main thing there is RC aircraft, HO/N gauge railroad.
discordian
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 01:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks, I never was any good at slot cars, but sounds like a fun get away for some boring Saturday. I'll have to give it shot.

Kenville has a pretty good selection of kits, especially for the size of the store, and of course Richie will order anything for you. ( I think he bought someones collection, as on my last visit, there were a bunch of long out of production kits on the shelf.) Main thing there is RC aircraft, HO/N gauge railroad.

Do you know what brands he keeps in stock off hand?

Coming up from Parsippany it's an easy double hit from Rt. 287... Hobby Hut and then hit a U-turn a few miles down the road and hit Zeppelin on the way back.

Enjoy!
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 02:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Dave,

is this the store that you brought me ???
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 09:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Dave,

is this the store that you brought me ???

Yep, Hi-Way, and Ridgefield Hobbies were the two we went to Zaidi.

Scott, most of his armor kits are Dragon, paints Model Masters/Testors, and PollyScale.
discordian
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2009 - 08:00 AM UTC
Well, Dave - I went Kenvil yesterday. I'm glad you reminded me of it.
He's definitely got the best on-hand kit selection of armor, air, and sea of the stores I've been to in the area.
I picked up some good advice on restoring old decals ( and printing my own) and bought a Dragon King Tiger kit for $30.00 (#6232). Thought that was a really good price for a kit with some PE, metal barrel, and 4 figurines)
 _GOTOTOP