_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
What scale?
zipperhead
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 27 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2002 - 07:16 AM UTC
I'm looking at getting into modelling, I want to do modern military aircraft but I can't decide what scale 1/72 or 1/48. What do you guys recommend?
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2002 - 07:58 AM UTC
I recently got back into modeling. I am building 1/72 aircraft and 1//35 armor. The reason I went with the 1/72 on aircraft is mostly an issue of space with me. If I build the larger scales I won't have room for them in my current situation. Also there is a good price break between 1/72 and 1/48 scale which will allow me to do more kits without being affraid to try new things at the risk of ruining the model. I have found that a lot of the super detail kits and decals are made for the 1/48 scale models, but I am not at the skill level where I need worry about that yet anyway. You can find some 1/72 super detail kits and decals on the internet if you need them. You may just build one of each size and see which one you like working with best. Anyway, thats my $.02 (its worth about half that). Whatever you do, have fun!
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2002 - 08:15 AM UTC
Okay, here's the run down: 1/24th, 1/32nd, 1/35th, 1/48th, 1/72nd, even 1/144th.

1/24th are really big! Great potential for details. Few subjects available. Very few after market parts. Take up alot of space.

1/32 & 1/35th Good size. Parts are easy to handle. Possibilities for mixing with 1/35th armor dios. Take up space. A little more than 1/24th for aftermarket parts, but still few.

1/48th Easier than 1/72 to build. Lots of aftermarkets available. Most popular. And because they are often newer than 1/72 they are easier to build.

1/72nd Largest variety of kits available.Easy to display, take little space. Because of size not much need to add aftermarkets. Small size can be tricky to build.

1/144th ...Are they to be used with binoculars...self explanatory here.

I hope this helps...and welcome to the Wonderful World of Modeling!
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2002 - 10:48 AM UTC
I've modeld aircraft for a while and stick to the 1/48 scale because anything bigger takes up too much space and anything smaller makes my eyes worse than they already are. Plus you lose some of the detail in the 1/72 scale.
zipperhead
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 27 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2002 - 11:15 AM UTC
Excellent advice guys! I think I'll try 1/48 and see how it goes!
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2002 - 11:25 AM UTC
One of the better brands to start with in 1/48 are the Monogram (now Revell-Monogram) jets. Some are better than others since the merger.

Some good ones to start with are the A-10A and F-14A, there are many others to choose from, they are widely available and relatively inexpensive when compared to the highly priced Japanese kits. Once you get better, then you will want to move to the high-end kits.
ChrisCarney
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 88 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2002 - 08:21 PM UTC
HELP.....I've just received two old Lindberg kits from my brother. One is the Tiger 1 and the other is the Centurion. I don't have any idea what scale they are. The box says that 3/16th equals a foot. Can anyone help me out here. Exactly what scale are they? Thanks in advance guys. Chris (Tiger 1) Carney.
Sabot
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2002 - 10:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

3/16th equals a foot.

This was the ever popular 1/64 scale. There were 4 kits in this Lindberg Line, the Tiger, M46 Patton, Centurian and Stalin tanks. Original ones were rubber band powered, one rubber band on the rear wheels and a rubber band through the axle for the power. Lindberg reissued all four in one box within the last five years as the Battle Front (Field?) Four in a non-motorized version.

BTW 3/16"=1' is the same as 3/16"=12"
divide both sides by 12 so,
3/16*12=12/12=1,
3/192=1/64

old style of box-scale kits
Lindberg also did 3/8"=1' which was 1/32 scale
ChrisCarney
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2002 - 06:31 AM UTC
Tanks Major Ron. I appreciate that. The centurion kit is still unopened and probably will not be ever. The tiger 1 is just about finished. I had to do alot of modifying. I used a dremel tool to grind down where the solid plastic was for the exhaust, and added sprue shortened, then copper wire and a piece of round stiff cardboard for a real looking tiger exhaust. There was no slit in the drivers view port or mg for the ball mount. A piece of copper wire did the trick there also. I then filled the screw hole in the front with putty and added zimmerit with a soldering iron. It looks pretty nice. Although there isn't much I can do with the tracks or the panther looking road wheels. Oh well, they didn't detail much back then in the 70's. Sorry for being long winded, just had to share that with someone. Thanks again.
Chris (Tiger 1) Carney.
Sabot
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2002 - 06:54 AM UTC
No problem, I really liked all those old armor kits. I started with the Aurora tanks (built by Dad) then built the Tiger myself and graduated to the Monogram 1/35 Patton and other US soft skins.
ChrisCarney
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 10:15 AM UTC
Thanks Major Rob. The Tiger 1 turned out really good. As soon as I get my camera back (it's actually my works camera), I'll send you a shot of it. And ya know, if you keep posting messages like you have been, pretty soon your going to out rank yourself. Maybe you should slow down a little. Wouldn't want to see you out ranking Jim. Heck, I'm just trying to get back up to my old rank. Right now I'm up to the second knuckle and have to wipe the key board off every now and then so I can see what letters they are. Thanks again.
Chris (Tiger 1) Carney. :-)
 _GOTOTOP