_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Parts Parts Parts
ponysoldier
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 223 Posts
KitMaker Network: 83 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 07:02 AM UTC
The thing we all have in common are parts.I'd like to see how many ways
that are out there to deal with storeage and organization of parts
I have four methods i use, some dont work well in the extremes out here
{ decals in 110 degrees soon be come unusable] Keeping in mind that
my storeage is quite small. Ideas?
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 08:19 AM UTC
I keep my old directions and extra decals in a binder. I have a regular 3-ring notebook binder and store them in those clear pocket document protectors. I have enough instructions to have a binder for armor, aircraft, sci-fi and all others (cars, boats, etc.). The decals are kept in a separate binder and divided using tabbed pages.

As far as spare parts, I save a larger armor box (usually Tamiya) and I put WW2 armor parts in one, M113 parts in another, wheeled in another, M1 parts in another. A sticky label on the outside helps identify the box contents.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 08:25 AM UTC
I would definetly recommend using something like the ZipLock Freezer bags for the decals.
As far as the other parts the use of everything from tupperware, to my yogurt cups has been discussed somewhere here. I can't find it at the moment.
TheGame
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 98 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 08:30 AM UTC
I'm with Sabot on the storage of decals. Actually I got the idea from this site (probably from Sabot). I put the decals in a zip lock baggie and put that in a sheet protector sleeve. I also put one of those packets that comes with some products that takes the moisture out of the air in the baggie with the decals.

Another idea I got from guess where....this site is to use old yogurt cups for storage. I eat alot of yogurt and the cups work for anything from parts storage to a brush cleaner tank to a place to mix washes.

Heck, most of the ways I do things for building models comes from this site.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 10:40 AM UTC
I purchased, about 30-something years ago, one of the those small storage cabinets you might have in a work shop for storing nuts and bolts, etc. The one I have is about 12" wide, 9" tall and 6" deep with 24 drawers. It allows me to sort and store a lot of small parts. All different sizes are available and they can be hung on the wall, if needed.
E23C
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 238 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 11:28 AM UTC
I am not quite as organised in my parts storage as the rest of you,I have two plastic boxes one for Armour parts the other for aircraft parts.The decals are in their own box
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 08:11 PM UTC
For decals I use ziplock baggies in an old photo album.
For parts I use the organizers(for nuts, bolts etc.) you can get a walmart .
along with other types of containers as needed.

Matt
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 09:14 PM UTC
Well, I put decals in a ziplock baggie after I open the kit. The baggie then goes back into the kit's box. If I'm working on a model, parts I'm not using at the moment stay in the model box, and the parts I am working on stay on the work surface. Not a very good system I guess.
I'll be more organized when I have a relatively permanent area to buold models.

YodaMan
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 939 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 11:04 PM UTC
It's interesting to see the common approaches!

I keep extra parts in completed kit boxes. I have WAY too many DML PzIV parts. If anyone needs some, contact me!

I use old instruction sheets for blotting paper.
I've built the kit, I don't need no stinking instructions!
coyote42b
Visit this Community
entire network: 4 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2002 - 12:39 AM UTC
same here, i use an organizer for parts(50 drawers, got it at a garage sale),tape to mark the drawers. decals go in a big ziplock freezer bag, not organized at all, i've probably got documents explaining JFK's assassination in there!

Coyote
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2002 - 12:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

same here, i use an organizer for parts(50 drawers, got it at a garage sale),tape to mark the drawers. decals go in a big ziplock freezer bag, not organized at all, i've probably got documents explaining JFK's assassination in there!

Coyote

Expect some government men in dark suits to show up at your front door very soon...

YodaMan
See me, you do not
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2002 - 12:43 AM UTC
I think Yoda hit the nail on the head......

Matt
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 325 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2002 - 05:09 AM UTC
Those small plastic containers that electrical tape comes in, is also pretty handy for whatever you need.
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2002 - 05:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Those small plastic containers that electrical tape comes in, is also pretty handy for whatever you need.

I use those and the containers that filters come in for cameras.
Tiger1
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 171 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 12:43 AM UTC
I bought hardware organizers from Home Depot a few years ago and I do not know what I would do with out them. I have more then enough to keep all my spare parts. I use old floppy disk organizers for my etched brass, dry transfers, decals, and templates. :-)
ponysoldier
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 223 Posts
KitMaker Network: 83 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 02, 2002 - 09:29 AM UTC
It is incredible the common thread here. I use most of these methods{i didnt think of the
silcon dioxide though} I guess it"s to the garage for some of the older parts.
Thanks to all.
ponysoldier
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, May 02, 2002 - 10:17 AM UTC
I just found an old jar today that I'm keeping all my brushes in. The film canister works well for small parts too.
You know, we haven't heard from Mr. Coyote42B lately. Maybe those government men really did show up...

YodaMan
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 02, 2002 - 11:21 AM UTC
Hey Guy's and Doll's, Sorry Penny LOL
Well I guess I keep it pretty simple for the time being as I do not currently have a whole lot of extra parts. and Decals. Much less space. But what I do have I keep the larger Spares in a box that was used to ship a model A/C that was sent to me. And the smaller spares are also kept in there but are segregated in a freezer bag, My Decals are also kept in a ziplock bag. My parts that are being worked on are on the work table, others are kept in the box until needed. Smaller parts are put into a zip lock freezer bag so they will not get seperated or lost in the process. So that pretty much sums it up for me. I have a modeler craft box that i work from. i.e. I keep all my paint brushes, Paint, Stencils, and all the other items that are used to build my projects. And of course everything has it's own place and or space. Some are even kept in plastic baggies. My box is similuar to a fishermans box but is bigger and has three levels. I found it at Hobby Lobby a couple of years ago. And have loved it's convience and storage space.

DAGGER: A weapon with a short pointed Blade: "THE CUTTING EDGE"
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 03:04 AM UTC
I have a nightmare when it comes to storage! Bits here,there and everywhere! Only the other day i was hoovering( No i'm not under the thumb!lol) and there went a panzer mark III wheel and a couple of rifles! Duhhhhhhh
Wife came up with a great idea: Buy the organiser that you have in your garage for screws and the likes! Nice easy slide out trays and they are perspex!
I'm off to the DIY store!bye
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 382 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 06:13 AM UTC
Fishing tackle boxes. I have a big one with the trays that fold open when the lid is opened. That one is for mostly tools and scratch supplies (plasict rod, wire, sheeting, etc.). I have several of the smaller "pocket-size" (clear) boxes for knives, files, sanding sticks and the like. These come in a range of sizes from really tiny to rather large. I use one of the smaller ones for my German figs and parts, so it is all kept in one place. I also use the snap-lid plastic shoe boxes for partially completed kits.

Got some small plastic baskets to keep my paints in, and a cheap plastic three-drawer cabinet on wheels (several primary colors, I think it was meant for kids to keep stuff in) to keep 'em in. One drawer is for acrylics, another for enamels, and the airbrush stuff lives in the third. All pretty cheap, all from ...wait for it...Wal-Mart!

A quick cruise through the home department at your local discount store will give you a multitude of ideas for using cheap Chinese plastic to organize your hobby.
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 06:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A quick cruise through the home department at your local discount store will give you a multitude of ideas for using cheap Chinese plastic to organize your hobby.

I'm a frequent visitor to Big Lots. Cheap plastic totes.
 _GOTOTOP