_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Display Cases
blackadder
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 12:20 AM UTC
Armorama is a fantastic site,with many useful tips and techniques.However,i think it's also important to Preserve/display models when they are built.I cannot afford to buy ready made display cases, so is it possible that one of you chaps can do a feature(s) on building display cases (i prefer glass to plastic).That would really be a great help,not just for me but also for many other modelers out there.Thanks for listening and hope to have some feedback soon.
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 12:44 AM UTC
First things first...Welcome to Armorama Blackadder. I hope you enjoy your time here and share your thoughts and model building techniques with the rest of us.

As far as display cases go here is a link where we sort of discussed it. Click Here

I don't know of many folks who build glass cases. Mosf of us just use acrylic sheets and glue them together. They look really good, are less expensive than glass and easy to work with.
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 09:48 AM UTC
Try ringing up you local glass supplier and asking them to cut sheet plexi to your specifications. Pick up the bits, and glue them together. Most glass places have plexi on hand and will cut to order. You might even be able to get them to do the glue up if you bring them your plans.

You could also look at a glass front stereo cabinet that might require only a couple of mods to suit your needs.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 11:07 AM UTC
Why not invest in a display cabinet with glass doors. I recently bought one of these in IKEA for 1200sek ( = $120 = £90). Its probably what some guys pay for one model and aftermarket items. At least I know that my 2 years worth of models are safe and in a dust free environment. A good investment, as far as Im concerned, and I now can display my models in the living room where folks can see them. If you start with display cases for each model or dio, after some time they will mount up and need shelf space anyway! I also have a 2 year old, very curius daughter who can look but not touch them. Worth checking out??
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 02:16 PM UTC
Blackadder... welcome aboard!

My display cases are roughly 4 ft x 4 ft x 1 ft, and they probably cost me about $100 each to build. Made out pine board with a 1/4" plywood backing. All is doweled and screwed together. Strip lights on the inside front verticles. Built about 10-12 years ago now, and are still holding up real nicely. Magntic latches and metal pivots for the doors.

They were built about a year apart and was a fun side-bar to the hobby. The glass is the most expensive part. I am very pleased with them.... Built to my specs and at my leisure.

If you need any further dimensions etc., feel free to PM me.

Oh, and I still have all my fingers too!

blackadder
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 11:12 PM UTC
Many thanks for all your informative replies and for making me feel welcome onboard.(It makes me feel all warm inside.....).I know that acrlyic/perspex is easier to work with but i
don't think it has the clarity of glass and this is the main reason why i would prefer to build with glass.KKeefe - your display cases are fantastic but i can tell that you live in America:
you display cabinets are about the size of my house!We only have small rooms here in the UK.Hence i would rather build small cases to house individual vehicles or small dioramas.
I have seen some small glass display cases where the glass is joined by what seems to be a thin Lead(or some other metal) bead.These look great because the joins are unobtrusive and hence easier on the eye.I wonder if anyone knows how these are made?
Any help would be much appreciated.Once again,thank you all for your warm welcome,and hopefully i will be able to share some of my modelling tips with you in the future.
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 09:32 AM UTC
Another idea... Look at garage sales and the like, or second hand stores for aquariums. Place them upside down over your models, and voila!
 _GOTOTOP