_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Distilled water for mixing paint
bizzychicken
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 967 Posts
KitMaker Network: 81 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 04:19 AM UTC
I've heard alot of people talking about mixing distilled water with Vallejo paint. Is De-ionised water the same stuff, if not where do you get hold of distilled water( What is it?) Cheers Geraint
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 05:40 AM UTC
You should be able to pick some up at an auto parts store. It's used for topping off car battery cells.
bizzychicken
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 967 Posts
KitMaker Network: 81 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 06:21 AM UTC
Great we in the UK call it De-ionised water thats were the confusion took place, just bought some 49 pence for 1 litre. thanks
Wendy
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 260 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 08:01 AM UTC
Distilled water is basically boiled and the steam collected which leaves metals and other elements behind. I have found that tap water can be iffy to use with paint because sometimes it leaves a chalky residue on the figure. Distillation removes the particles that can leave the residue. You should be able to find distilled water at the grocery store. We have a good water filter at home. Not all bottled water is distilled though, so make sure it says distilled on it.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 09:20 AM UTC
Yes, they sell distilled water at the grocery store to put in steam irons. It normally comes in a gallon jug. You should always use distilled water in an airbrush. Tap water has minerals, lime, flouride, and other things in it that will cause deposits in your airbrush and eventually ruin it.
REDFROG
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 64 Posts
KitMaker Network: 58 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 11:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've heard alot of people talking about mixing distilled water with Vallejo paint. Is De-ionised water the same stuff, if not where do you get hold of distilled water( What is it?) Cheers Geraint

I always recommend a paint company's own thinner....it lessens the possibility of potential problems....just my 2 cents or 2 pence in your part of the world
salfordsniper
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 22 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 05:34 AM UTC
I use deionized water from morrisons its 49p for a 1litre bottle its where all the car cleaner and smell bits are! I use it 40/60 with vallejo paints when airbrushing never had any problems! Also mix it with Isopropyl alcohol in ratio 25/25/50 with tamiya paints never also had any problems! Plus its cheap!
LongKnife
Visit this Community
Jönköping, Sweden
entire network: 831 Posts
KitMaker Network: 19 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 07:29 AM UTC
I won't say this is the truth, because the "destiller" must be checked to be clean in itself. However, most of us has a "destilled water maker" in the basement. The tumble drier! I use tumbler water for my car battery, and my old mother tipped me that it can be used for ironing. I haven't seen stains on my iron yet, so it's pretty clean water allright!

Tony
 _GOTOTOP