_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
straw poll on model making
D_J_W
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
entire network: 436 Posts
KitMaker Network: 64 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2009 - 07:21 AM UTC
I would of said 2 or 3, but looking around and considering all those returned to my stash awaiting a bit of inspiration or more research well the figure could well on the way to a fogure approaching the national debit (may be a bit of exaggeration).

cheers
David
dispatcher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 396 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2009 - 07:35 AM UTC
I came back to modeling a little over a year ago. I have gone back and worked on some unfinished projects from 1995 when I ran out of time for modeling. I haven't finished any of the old projects but have tried to readjust my skill level back to what they were.
i have just started a build here and hope that will keep me on target. Along with the build I am assembling small parts for a second kit.
I also have a few figures I'm painting on little at a time. I think that with the few projects I have going right now I am happy. I have 4 unbuilt kits that are awaiting ideas and some will need aftermarket tracks. So I should have enough to last me the year.
Joe
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
entire network: 5,386 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2009 - 09:45 AM UTC
My problem is when I have to wait between painting stages I started another kit... so I'm currently building a few kits.
I wanted to do a one-model build .. it will happen soon, I have a huge model challenge soon..
marsiascout
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 1,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2009 - 09:49 AM UTC
Normally I build 2 or 3 models at a time.

Lars
docdios
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,998 Posts
KitMaker Network: 257 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2009 - 10:07 AM UTC
these days its one at a time, I feel I can only put maximum effort into each model if I do one at a time, I have found by doing this I have seriously reduced the amount of unfinished projects, and each new model is getting better and better

I still suffer from the amount of new project I want to start though
cheers

keith
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 01:19 AM UTC
Only one at a time for me
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,329 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 03:21 AM UTC
I usually 3 or 4 on the go but I get them to the paitning stage then paint them all at the same time

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 12:25 AM UTC
At the moment two both Lee's.

Usually 1 at a time but could not resist the urge to try two.

As I have just got into Sherman's and Cousins of them ,ancestors is maybe a better word.

I will try to get and stay with two at a time now.

Painting is not a problem the weathering and base can be.

Thanks Frank
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
entire network: 894 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 02:28 AM UTC
I used to build several at the same time, but that created a mess in my modelling room and when there is a mess, I loose the energy to keep on going. The problem is that I also build every week at my LHS so when a model gets to a certain stage, I cannot bring it there anymore....so I have to start a new one But i decided to do only figures at my LHS now, so my work bench keeps clean.

oh, and I stopped buying big stuff. The 1/32 SU-27 I am building right now does not fit anywhere
oldtimer
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 210 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 10:16 AM UTC
dear John,
you are a man after my own heart. Yep one at a time.
oldtimer
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 10:23 AM UTC
Gentlemen,
Thank you for all your posts. It has been very interesting looking at the replies. It would seem to me about 50 - 50 on the one at a time as opposed to several on the go. Good luck with all your future projects. Wether you wish to save paint and do several models at a time or complete a project at a time it has been a privelage looking at your responses.
oldtimer
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 09:04 AM UTC
I have decided that after all your generous replies. The majority of modellers work on at least one if not more than four models at any one time.

regards
Oldtimer
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,019 Posts
KitMaker Network: 332 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 12:21 PM UTC
multiple simultaneous builds always! it's the only thing that gets me through the tedious tasks such as individual link track assembly, part clean up sessions, and the like. i have to SEE progress!

it's an interesting question because apparently this is something beyond just modeling. people who have difficulty getting things done are often more suited to doing things serially, one at a time, and flounder when doing things in parallel, more than one at the same time. the reverse is also true. a realization of which style of time/task management life skills best suits you goes a long way to making for a better, less stressful life.
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,425 Posts
KitMaker Network: 341 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 11:04 AM UTC
One at a time, start to finish, no exceptions. That way I have a direction and motivation if I hit a difficult spot in the build as there's no other way to go but finish it out before starting another. Going on 8 years of doing that now and it's worked out great producing 93 completed models in the process.
HILBERT
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 4,808 Posts
KitMaker Network: 360 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 11:17 AM UTC
Well, I try to build one model at a time. But considering my periods of losing interests, I have 4 projects running...

Hilbert
 _GOTOTOP