_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
A model junked
TempExp
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 148 Posts
KitMaker Network: 106 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2003 - 10:42 AM UTC
Hi all,

Just curious as to how many of you have screwed up a kit or gotten so sick of it you've just completely junked the thing prior to finish.

I ask because that's what has happened to me today. Trying to spray a camo scheme, the last color for some reason wouldn't stick, started pooling up and began to run. After several hours, figured the arcylics would be dry to see if it could be salvaged... nope, the paint ran under the mask sand basically every place it wasn't supposed to be. The parts decided to start bustingh off as well. The kit is going in the trash.

Although this wasn't necessarily the final straw. It was a cheap kit I wasn't too interested in to begin with as part of a club build. I was trying to finish it, but now I can actually finish two other in-progress projects and have some fun--- working on the kits I really want to build.

Take care.
Wraith
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
entire network: 49 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2003 - 11:35 AM UTC
Many times. Most weren't like your paint disaster, but there's a lot of kits in my past that were just plain lousy.

I had an M3 last year that was done by some cheap asian company (Zhengdefu or something?) and it was unbelievable! Rubber tracks that went from paper thin at one end to 5mm plus at the other, a gaping hole in the bottom of the turret, vague molded in details (including all of the 4 tools), a front end composed of bits from several different versions of M3, and nothing even remotely resembling decent parts fit! It was bad enough that there wasn't anything worth salvaging for parts when I scrapped it. Fortunately it only cost $10.
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2003 - 12:01 PM UTC
When I was a young kid I had a few accidents with various kits. I tried do salvage as many as I could but some unfortunately anded up as a melted blob of plastic. Yes, I liked to watch them burn and melt. Oh the horrors! :-)
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2003 - 12:06 PM UTC
A 1/48th Vindicator , by some company.it was the only one of a Vindicator available.The fit was awful.
WALL MODEL.
It hit the wall at a high rate of speed.

"Time is too short to waste on crappy models!"
(++) (++)
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2003 - 12:44 PM UTC
Hi. Junking a model occasionally is just part of this hobby. A regretable part, but a part nonetheless. Here awhile back I spilled almost a whole bottle of liquid glue on top of one of Tamiya's StuG IIIs. Plus the usual painting problems that do crop up, and since painting is by far my worst part of this hobby, here's where the problems really start for me and have caused most of my 'junked' items.

I think that one of the very best things about this site is that if you have a possible question on something or other concerning kits and esp. painting, there's folks out there who are more than willing to share their knowledge with you and tell you what has worked best for them in the past on different kits and what solutions they offer. This way you can check something out before trying it, and maybe avoid a possible problem. I know it's worked for me. And has helped tremedously in the number of 'junked' kits on this end.

And, of course as time goes by, you will be able to offer different advice to other modelers out there as well.

Take care, sgirty
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2003 - 12:55 PM UTC
I used to take them out to the sand pits and lock and load on them, but that's not too 'PC' anymore. I only have three that are put aside for 'another day'.

Despite how bad a model is coming out, I have trained my self to 'gut it out' in my old age and to just continue to move forward with it. Ain't no one else gonna see it anyway except the Mrs. She will hear most of the swearing, but she's usually glad that I got it finished.

Knock on wood, I haven't had any disasters yet that would require something to be tossed in the can.
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2003 - 01:05 PM UTC
Use the kit to make a rusted out hulk. I dropped a M-34 2 1/2 ton gun truck and made a wreck out of it. I put the "destroyed and battle damaged" on a scratch built flat bed trailer and took first place and best in show with it. Goes to show you that it's not a mistake but a redirection of a project. LOL
ZoomieE7
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 145 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2003 - 01:29 PM UTC
Animal is right. Vent the frustration, and start looking for other possibilities. Who in their right mind would pay for the Stug, just to model it as knocked/burned out? You're already half-way there. A burned out hulk with either "Zapad na Berlin" or some such slogan whitewashed on the side, would make a nice little diorama. Just my $.02. Rob
TempExp
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 148 Posts
KitMaker Network: 106 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2003 - 03:33 PM UTC
Thanks for the replies, got some good ideas and a couple of laughs out of them.

The kit in questions was an old Airfix Me-109. To begin with, it was such a hunk of junk in my mind that I was planning on having it crashed. I'd filled it full of holes, tried to add some details to the cockpit and was ready to have it wrecked. The fit was horrible, but a lot wouldn't show if it ws wrecked out. I wasn't even interested in the subject, but thought it would be good to practice, and like mentioned above, I thought I'd grind it out for better or worse. Well, with the painting debacle today, I think that finally gave me a good enough escuse to scrap it -- the one good think was that in the same painting session I got the basecoat finished on my Merk I.

Anyway, now the Me-109 is in tiny pieces in the bottom of the trash can and I never have to see it again. Now it's back to what I really like, armor. I think I'll try to finish the two armor projects I've got going. Maybe I'll attempt another first, this one the positive of posting some pictures when I'm finished with the Merk.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 07, 2003 - 01:55 AM UTC
My shelf of "unwanted toys" that I started but never finished is highlighted by the always popular DML Scud Launcher.

Enough said...

Shaun
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 07, 2003 - 03:30 AM UTC
Me? Lots of them! Some are in boxes, some are left as it is and displayed and some others are retouched. Patience, it brings good luck!
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 07, 2003 - 07:07 AM UTC
Italeri's m60 blazer was put back on the shelf when I totalled the turret rack , might try and scratch build one. a corsair that ended in the bin I hate planes to many seams.heart break Tamiyas pak 37 I wrecked the brace that holds the barrel and breach to the sheild that P'd me off I wanted it in a diorama. oh well!
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 07, 2003 - 08:33 AM UTC
To be honest, the only model I was tempted to throw in the rubbish bin is the B1 Centauro I'm building for the Cold War Cook-off campaign, because OOB (anyway it's a short run resin kit) it's really crappy. But in the end I thought how much did I pay for it (a fortune) and that it was a good challenge so I've decided to keep on going. This is really the only one case for the rest I often take aout of the rubbish bins of some friends the models that for some reason they threw away. For instance I'm now working on an old Leopard 1A1 from Tamiya that I decided to restore...
Ciao and take it easy!!!

jejack2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 322 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 07, 2003 - 08:54 AM UTC
I think I have more models "set aside" due to frustration or lack of interest, than I actually have completed. I'm my own worst critic!!

J
 _GOTOTOP