_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Modeling? Good or Bad?
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 02:22 AM UTC
I hope everyone has this experience.

Is modeling bad? Many says yes because we are spending our bucks on what they call useless things. We buy a kit then paint it. Even my parents told me to buy a finished kit rather than the one in boxes. They're costly. They even say I am overspending on a small model. True, modeling is expensive. We expect to do our best by the tools and skills we have. Some people laugh at me whenever I buy things like the things used in diorama (plaster of paris etc). They say it's not related to modeling.

Whatever they say, I really like plastic modeling. No one can take this hobby away from me. . Darn! I wish modeling is NOT an expensive hobby!
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 02:28 AM UTC
Ok - I'll jump in and continue thier argument.

If modeling is bad because we overspend and have lots of STUFF to complete a kit. Then we shouldn't cook, we should all go out to eat.

We should also not have artists who spend sooo much money on paint and canvas and for what - we hang stuff on the wall.

The cost is relative too, I have computer guys who drop $1,000's of dollars on software and hardware - just to test it out.

Naaa not a valid arguement in my view
didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 564 Posts
KitMaker Network: 138 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 02:36 AM UTC
Hobbies are good - as long as you can afford your primary obligations - rent, food, childcare, etc... hobbies are like having pets - they improve the quality of your life. The people you are talking too obviously don't understand and respect your desire to create replicas of life. Different people express their creativity in different ways. Some people sculpt, some write, some paint, some photograph, some just lay around and watch TV.

Keep up your hobby, but do it for you. If others don't understand, well, the next time you see someones dish collection or their photo scrapbooks, be a better person for the experience.

Best regards from a fellow addict.

Scott
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 02:48 AM UTC
It's your time and money, right? You aren't in debt because of it and aren't mooching off others, so they can simply mind thier own business. Yeah, this is an expensive hobby (or can be), but most hobbies get that way. There are golfers pool players whole spend hundreds on a golf club or cue. Country club memberships to play golf can run into thousands of dollars a year.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 02:55 AM UTC
Okay, I could spend 60.00 on a computer game that takes me, say, 30 hours to beat. I can spend 100.00 on a good kit and some aftermarket stuff and work on it for a month, if I take my time and don't slam it together. Granted, I have spent some serious jack over the years on tools and supplies but the kits themselves, as far a dollars per hour of enjoyment are a bargain compared to just about any other hobby I can think of. Somebody that knows more about it than me tell me what a round of golf, with cart rental and beer costs. Bet modeling is much cheaper per hour. Build on guys, money be damned...
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 02:56 AM UTC
All Hobbies are good - in moderation. As long as you're keeping your obligations to family and community - then there's no problem anyone else should comment upon. When a Hobby becomes all-consuming and you begin to shirk responsibilities elsewhere, then a kind nudge from a friend is a good thing.

Gunnie
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 03:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

All Hobbies are good - in moderation. As long as you're keeping your obligations to family and community - then there's no problem anyone else should comment upon. When a Hobby becomes all-consuming and you begin to shirk responsibilities elsewhere, then a kind nudge from a friend is a good thing.

Gunnie

Unless of course that all-consuming hobby is the creation of a cool web community for military scale modelers! hehe

Otherwise I agree completely.

Cheers,
Jim
(formerly an obsesive webmaster but now doing it in moderation)
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 679 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 03:22 AM UTC
Just a case of different strokes really. Im glad we dont all do the same thing, who wants to be the gray man. Isnt it personalities and freedom of choice that makes us individuals.
This is my hobby and im very happy with it, more than just a hobby for me, im now part of a EXCELLENT INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY, as is everybody else on this site.
For me its better than collecting socks!, stamps or whatever else, but then again thats MY CHOICE.
Long live armorama and modelling!

Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 03:35 AM UTC
I agree.. hobbies are good.. as long as you take care of your family and obligations..

as long as I keep a roof over my family's head and food on the table, I'll continue to set a little aside for myself each week. uesly it adds up to around $15 a week..

when I take the wife out for a good meal i can usely spend $40 or $50.. so take it all in perspective.

and most important. enjoy your hobbies esp when you are part of a like-minded international community like armorama........

LaTtEX
Visit this Community
entire network: 292 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 04:48 AM UTC
Anything done in excess is bad. Moderation is best. Students, well, they have to settle with what their parents give them for the moment #:-)

Modelling, bad? Better this than drugs right?
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,744 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 05:51 AM UTC
:-) My wife likes the fact that I'm sitting in a little room "playing" (as she puts it) with my model thingys.. I'm not dropping 75-100 dollars a weekend, like I used to,sittng in a bar and getting drunk! As long as it doesn't get out of hand and become an obsession...which is very easy with the number of kits that are becoming available daily...modelling is good therapy. It saves $$$$$ on the Vallium prescription...too! (just kidding) As with anything else, as others have said, moderation is the key. Don't let anyone discourage you from building. When I was younger people used to make fun of me because I built models...now if they make fun of me I just beat them up! Later.......Jeff
IanSadler
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 324 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 05:59 AM UTC
hi when holding model workshop days we have crib page it states "Present this for your Hobby when compiling a CV." this is list of skills or related hobbies which can be developed from building a Plastic kit. 1 photography, 2 historical research, 3 draughtsmanship,scale drawings etc, 4 colating and fact finding, 5 reading, 6 writing articles for magazines,7editing newsletters,8 penfriends, 9 articulation in public presentation, 10 organisational skills,11 publick demonstration of skills of the hobby,12 planing a project, 13 taking part in model shows,14 making masters for casting, 15 television work making models for shows science fiction ettc. 16 learning a foreign language either to rerad or write or speak it, 17 overseas visits to museums , and 18 use of the internet for research etc. not bad for a simple plastic model , hope it helps cheers ian
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 06:01 AM UTC
I'm absolutely with what the other fella say, that hobbies are good as long as you do not exagerate. More specifically about scale modelling I love it because often I buy boxes, but sometimes I scratchbuild too, using the most amazing cheap if not inexpensive things. My wife is quite supportive with the hobby and she renamed what I call my "cave" into "the junk yard" due to my continuous collecting of the oddest things like lead foil from around wine bottle necks, food containers of any kind, straws, and whatever else can have a role in my projects. I love this hobby also because I can create lots of things and this gives me great satisfaction...
Ciao
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 09:46 AM UTC
Modeling can be expensive; true. But I like to look at it from another point of view. Modeling is safe. Oh yeah, there are the occasional X-acto induced sutures.........had 'em. Superglue will stick your fingers together, and boy does resin stink. But as a whole, I know of no broken bones, paralysis or drive by shootings involved with modeling. As a firefighter, my work is hard enough. Why press my luck? Be safe, build a model.

Patrick
NoMercy
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 111 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 11:17 AM UTC
It's a great way to relieve stress after a hard day.
steve203
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 579 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 12:24 PM UTC
I say if it makes you happy, who cares what others say. Besides, their just jealous everybody knows that the modelers get all the hot chicks.
TempExp
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 148 Posts
KitMaker Network: 106 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 01:38 PM UTC
I basically have to agree with what has been posted so far. Don't spend more than you can afford and do things in moderation. Plus, other hobbies can be a ton more expensive, plus, what are you going to do with your spare time otherwise?

I know plenty of people that could use a good hobby to devote their time to, but instead they spend hours and hours watching TV. Sure, TV is a heck of a lot cheaper (assuming you don't have cable or sattelite, which can be expensive), but I think you can get a lot more out of a hobby than sitting around staring at mindless sitcoms all night.
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 05:33 PM UTC

Model building is art. Although I get the usual comments from my friends and other kids at school. "Why do you paint those stupid planes" "Those are so dumb" and the dumbest one of all "Why do you build models, those are gay" I wasn't aware that plastic had sexual preferences. But I guess it does. Anyway, I think that it is very good. It keeps the mind strong, and I have noticed a severe improvement of my focus and understanding in school since I started building again this year. That was in March, and the plane was my F-105. I have since then worked on or completed 5 more planes. I am much more mentally focused.

That my story. Get kids involved. The crime rate will go down if you do.

~Chip
#:-) #:-)
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 07:03 PM UTC
What else can I add. For me , it was a 3-d outlet to my love of history. All the research I put into a model. I may not use it for anything else then just to learn something. As an adult, they say you need a good hobby. Stress from work and dealing with having enough money, and relationships. I sit down for a couple of hours and focus on a kit rather then sit around wring my hands and moan about my poor fortunes. You learn in life that the opinions of others don't mean crap. As an adult, being cool no longer atters as much. so you do what pleases you, 'cause in the long run you're the only one that matters to you.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2003 - 01:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Anything done in excess is bad. Moderation is best. Students, well, they have to settle with what their parents give them for the moment #:-)

Modelling, bad? Better this than drugs right?

Sure it is! Unless you like thinners! :-)
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2003 - 01:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's a great way to relieve stress after a hard day.

Relieve stress? I think not! I've messed up my Super Hornet because I was relieving from stress!
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2003 - 01:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I say if it makes you happy, who cares what others say. Besides, their just jealous everybody knows that the modelers get all the hot chicks.

Sure about that? Wish that was true! I got none They hate what I do!
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2003 - 01:47 AM UTC
To me building models is all about self-gratification. I do it for myself and only myself. Sure I like to share my work with others. If people respond well to something I built it boosts my ego, if they say that my model stinks then I know I need to work on my skills. In the end it is just me sitting at my desk looking at a vast collection of kits and I get that warm fuzzy feeling deep inside. Building models makes me happy. It is as simple as that.
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
entire network: 1,941 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2003 - 01:54 AM UTC
If you like it and your happy with it and you take care of your responasabilities, just do it.
I don´t know why people is always telling the others what they have to do.

Modeling is good because it´s a safe hobby, you develope a lot of skills, you have to make research to get information about the matter of what you´re builing so you learn things, you make friends, you can show with pride the finished kits, you can be part of Armorama :-) ,
etc,etc,etc....

So happy modeling
 _GOTOTOP