_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
I did something stupid
ElmerFudd
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 39 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 02:26 AM UTC
I did something very stupid this morning and it got me wondering, what the stupidest thing you have ever done, model wise of course?

I'll start. I finished a revell 1/48 p-51 last night and sanded down the filler late. This morning I went to airbrush it silver. I mixed up the paint and sprayed a some on the model and liked it so I went ahead and filled the cup. Got through one cup and refilled it when the trouble started. The paint started running really bad and it looked like I had high water marks all of a sudden. Come to find out after the first cup, I grabbed testors thinner instead of the silver paint. The bottle was almost empty so I used the same dropper I used for silver without cleaning it and the silver mixed with the thinner making it look like paint. I sprayed most of that kit with it before I realized what I had done. needless to say a kit that should have been ready for decal in the morning will now have to be stripped and repainted after work, so close yet so very far from finishing it. Oh well.

So, what have you done?
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 02:45 AM UTC
i did many of them...and one of them:

Brush painted with vallejo with a mug of hot coffee sitting on the desk. I drink coffee while waiting for each layer... and them while staring at the subject, i took a glass of water (for cleaning brush) and give it a sip. I was so stupid that it took me a few seconds later to find out that it's not coffee....

ZombieKraut
Visit this Community
Aargau, Switzerland
entire network: 72 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 02:46 AM UTC
Sorry to hear about your little mishap there Josh but it happens. I hope you can fix it though, would really be a shame seeing as you finished building the entire model.

I haven't done many models, mainly experimented around but I remember my first model: a Tamiya 1/35 Hetzer which went together really well and I was stupid enough to white-wash it (I mean who would attempt a white-wash on his first model, it's way too difficult imo)..... I had successfully done the 3-color camo and wanted to use the hairspray method for the white-wash. Too bad I thought that the hairspray had to dry completely before you could chip some of it off. I let it sit overnight and then had to realize that chipping the white paint off was hardly possible..... man was I pissed off. I put it in its box and haven't touched it since. I think I'll look at it..... right..... now!

Cheers!

-Mike-
rchristenson
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 47 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 05:12 AM UTC
i was working on a tamiya jeep. wanted to spend some time with my wife while working, so i sat at the BRAND NEW kitchen table. spilled liqiud ca glue. paniced and wiped it with a rag and the finish came off the table better than any furniture stripper i've ever used. to this day, dinner always starts with my three year old daughter pointing to the spot and saying ÿou did that, daddy!"
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 07:19 AM UTC
I tried to do my own zimmerit on a Panther A. Kit is in the garage, waiting to be used for spares.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,531 Posts
KitMaker Network: 290 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 08:01 AM UTC
Hi Josh, I had converted an Italeri Amtrac, the LVT(A)-2 with the 37mm turret, to a LVT-2, the open topped troop/cargo carrier. I was going to do a Tarawa diorama and had decided to put it in water against the sea-wall. I poured the resin in several thin layers over several days as recommended. I'm not sure what happened but the resin must not have set up properly and when it did it generated a lot of heat. I came home to find my model securely embedded in a block of resin with one track melted off from the 'water' surface to the idler wheel, one fender was warped, and part of the rear plate was buckled. I managed to splice in a section of a second track that Italeri was kind enough to send me. I then was able to make the damage to the hull look like it was done intentionally. I guess I did a convincing job, because the dio won several awards, including "Best Diorama" at our regional show. :- Al
ElmerFudd
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 39 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 09:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

i was working on a tamiya jeep. wanted to spend some time with my wife while working, so i sat at the BRAND NEW kitchen table. spilled liqiud ca glue. paniced and wiped it with a rag and the finish came off the table better than any furniture stripper i've ever used. to this day, dinner always starts with my three year old daughter pointing to the spot and saying ÿou did that, daddy!"

I was sitting in the living room watching tv doing a little painting, no big deal right it was only detail painting. When I got done and started cleaning up I found out I hadnt secured the plastic as well as I had thought that I put down to keep from ruining our new coffe table. I got so much paint on it that I had to strip the table and restain it. Not a day goes by that my wife has let me forget about doing it either
Eaglewatch
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 180 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 09:45 AM UTC
Hi Josh i was building DML's PAK 38/97 field gun when for some reason the gun shield just wouldn't sit right so after getting really frustrated i slammed it back into the box and proceeded to hand it over to my brother Ant to see what he could do with it five mins later (plus two pieces of brass rod to replace the mounting struts i'd destoyed) he brings it back to me all finished stating that i was putting the shield on wrong way round basically i'd misinterpreted the instructions
cyclones6
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,199 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 12:24 PM UTC
I'm about to try my first whitewash soon
Hopefully it will turn out better
Evan
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 12:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Josh, I had converted an Italeri Amtrac, the LVT(A)-2 with the 37mm turret, to a LVT-2, the open topped troop/cargo carrier. I was going to do a Tarawa diorama and had decided to put it in water against the sea-wall. I poured the resin in several thin layers over several days as recommended. I'm not sure what happened but the resin must not have set up properly and when it did it generated a lot of heat. I came home to find my model securely embedded in a block of resin with one track melted off from the 'water' surface to the idler wheel, one fender was warped, and part of the rear plate was buckled. I managed to splice in a section of a second track that Italeri was kind enough to send me. I then was able to make the damage to the hull look like it was done intentionally. I guess I did a convincing job, because the dio won several awards, including "Best Diorama" at our regional show. :- Al

Al you were lucky as resin can also build up enough heat to ignite.
SteveReid
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 52 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 01:37 PM UTC
"what the stupidest thing you have ever done, model wise?"

I was assembling my airbrush- pulling the parts out of a jar of thinner with tweezers in my right hand.

The phone rang- and as I grabbed it with my left hand I knocked over the thinner jar.

So picture this... phone in left hand, tweezers in right. I reach over and try to snatch a paper towel with the right hand that is holding the tweezers---- driving the tweezers into my thumb right to the bone.....

My worst modeling injury in 34 years....Never came close to that much blood with an X-acto.....
Eaglewatch
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 180 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 04:24 PM UTC
OUCH Steve that must have been agony i like a lot of modellers have endured the occasional laceration from the trusty craft knife but i can't say that i've ever stabbed myself with my tweezers
padawan_82
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 817 Posts
KitMaker Network: 122 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 04:27 PM UTC
i've had many a battle with my x-acto and every time the s-o-b has drawn blood the worst was when i was cutting some parts off an old battleship kit, and i impaled the blade in my thumb! ouch
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 07:26 PM UTC
It is amazing how an xacto knife will fall point down when there is something to injure in it's path. Dropped mine while doing some detail trimming. Not over a table. Have a scar above my knee where it stuck.
arpikaszabo
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
entire network: 674 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 11:55 PM UTC
My best happened when I first used an airbrush. I managed to complete a rather decent three-tone camouflage on a Spitfire, then (probably under the influence of enamel thinner) I thought that in order to save the remaining paint I should airbrush it back into the paint jar. The model was next to the jar, so you can immagine the results.
Anmoga
Visit this Community
Spain / España
entire network: 456 Posts
KitMaker Network: 87 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 12:14 AM UTC
Hi guys,

When I was in Turkey I had a B-17 that I had just finished assembling. I had it on the bed waiting to be painted and I just sat on it. It was a complete wreck.

Have a nice day,
Angel
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 785 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 01:49 AM UTC
See if you can top this. Around 1983 I was experamenting with a lost wax casting for some figures. I spent most of the day making silicone moulds. I'm very near sighted so I,m working real close to my subject. About 3:00 in the afternoon I decide to go to the bar across the street. In-up closing it down, about 3:00 ii the morning. As I'm leaving I can't find my car keys, so I decide to go by an old girlfriends house for a ride home. Long story short 3:30 in the morning wrong house police, lights, handcuffs. Spent that night in jail and payed a $65.00 fine. Never did finish those figures, or on the upside haven't been that drunk again.
HauntedPen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 34 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 06:15 PM UTC
Not sure which of these two was worse.

I had spent several weeks sculpting half the front have of a Tyrannosaurus Rex for a boxed diorama I was workng on. I was pleased enough with the sculpt that I was a little afraid that I wouldn't be able to do it justice with the paint job. After painting several layers of acrylic washes over it and sparying a layer of Floquil Figure Flat between each so that I wouldn't screw up the previous layer if I made a mistake, I was finally pleased with the paint job. When I went to spray on the final coat of clear flat to seal it for good, I ended up spraying a wide swathe of light gray enamel down the entire length of it. I had grabbed the can of Floquil figure-primer by mistake. Trying to remove that final coat messed up everything underneath. Wound up repainting the whole thing over again.

The other one was abit more frustrating, although the model turned out fine. I was using a half empty bottle of Zap-A-Gap A/C glue to put together a figure kit. Whenever I have A/C glue, the hole at the tip of the bottle slowly gets damaged over the course of using it and a small amount of glue runs down the side of the tip. To keep the cap from becomiing glued on afterward I wipe the tip with a paper towel after each use. Not paying attention, the paper towel I was using had become saturated at a point and the glue bled through to my fingertips. I went to rub my eye and wound up supergluing my finger to my eyelid. Spent the next twenty minutes or so peeling my finger away, then gently prying my eye open again!

Steve K
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,531 Posts
KitMaker Network: 290 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2009 - 07:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Al you were lucky as resin can also build up enough heat to ignite.

Hello Darren,That would have been great, have my house burn down because of a model, the wife is pretty understanding, but that would have been a little toooo much Al
youpey
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 528 Posts
KitMaker Network: 53 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2009 - 11:09 AM UTC
dropped my blade, not a thin hobby knife, but the heavy kind that you can pull in to the handle. i dropped it and instinctively caught it, but blade was out and it landed blade down onto the palm on my hand. it felt like my hand was going to explode. man that really hurt
ZombieKraut
Visit this Community
Aargau, Switzerland
entire network: 72 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2009 - 12:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It is amazing how an xacto knife will fall point down when there is something to injure in it's path. Dropped mine while doing some detail trimming. Not over a table. Have a scar above my knee where it stuck.

I find it amazing that while mine does always fall point down to (and it has many times) it never hits me but has always landed less than 3 inches away from my foot. It's always an eerie feeling but I continue modeling straight away.

-Mike-
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2009 - 03:28 PM UTC
I don't know if this would be model related , but at work today I put the drill bit into my left !
Now I can't work on my models !!!!
pzkfwmk6
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 456 Posts
KitMaker Network: 231 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 04:38 PM UTC
Okay, got to add mine now since I got a good laugh at everbody else
I'm using my dremel with one of the super fine steel cutoff blades in it.
I'm holding the part with my fingers (know where this is going?).
I get near the outer edge of the part, speed, centrifical force, and friction decide to take over.
Needless to say, my finger had a perfectly circular stripe that bled like a stuck pig.
Sometimes I wonder why we sit here and KNOW something just looks like a bad idea, and STILL we go ahead and do it.
endrju007
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Podkarpackie, Poland
entire network: 2,435 Posts
KitMaker Network: 203 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2009 - 12:53 AM UTC
stupid thign/accident from my side:
bunch of parts in subassembly stage on the desk (fortunately on the cardboard sheet)
+
one bottle of Tamiya Extra Thin glue, opened
+
ringing phone
=
parts melted and partially glued to the cardboard (fortunatelly not to the desk) and to my fingers + whoever called me wandering what was I doing since I've screamed "NOT NOW" and hanged up the phone...
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,661 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2009 - 04:07 AM UTC
when i was a kid, around 11, i used humbrol enamels, and earlier that day my grandad had tole me to shake my paints well. so, before painting a figure, i had this rancid pink, and i was shaking it very hard, holding not the lid and the tin, but just the tin, so as i was shaking. POP, paint went all over my bed, and my bookcase.
not fun.

also im always cutting myself with my scalpel, usually whils removing form sprue, OR cutting off a sprue nib thats left on the part.
 _GOTOTOP