_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
I did something stupid
jccraemer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 462 Posts
KitMaker Network: 63 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2009 - 09:06 AM UTC
well I did something on the dumb side I was working on a figure when i moved the object i was working on i put the brush in my teeth like i've done thousand times this time was brush in first with wet paint on it
rchristenson
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 47 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 11:12 AM UTC
i've already posted here, but i just beat my last stupidity record and thought i ought to share for safety.
Motor tool on high speed+headphones+one second lapse in concentration=

motortool winding up the headphones towards your face.

it's a good thing i wear safety glasses while i'm working. only a small cut on my nose.

Rapa707
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 12:06 PM UTC
Easy! Do not keep superglue dispensers and eye drop dispensers in the same place. Yes!, I did. Off to hospital.
Then I re-invented the wrong way to cut a small object with a razor saw. You don't hold the piece and gently saw it, you smoke a forbidden substance then you hold the saw and vigorously run the part along it, then your wife says " would you like a cup of tea?" Oops! Another trip to hospital. three stitches.
As far as modeling is concerned, it was my (juvenile) attempt to use plastic cement to secure lead shot in the nose of a matchbox Gannet. The nose collapsed overnight. Who would have thought? .
Regards, Ralph.
ArthurSC
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 27 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 - 01:52 PM UTC
I made an air tank from a old water fire extinguisher. I went to move it and forgot to tighten the top, just as I got it up and over my bare feet the lid came off and I broke two toes.
rchristenson
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 47 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 - 06:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I made an air tank from a old water fire extinguisher. I went to move it and forgot to tighten the top, just as I got it up and over my bare feet the lid came off and I broke two toes.

ow.
TOONCES
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 15 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 04:30 AM UTC
I developed a habit of using the concave bottom of Tamiya paint jars to hold small amounts of paint for brushing etc. One day I filled the depression with thin CA glue to dip out small amounts. Forgot about the glue when I put the bottle back on the shelf and now I have a permanent bottle of copper Tamiya on my shelf.
John
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 06:19 AM UTC
Had the usual knife cuts (plaster on my finger right now!), and dropped the knife with it landing on my foot. The worst was using a motor tool with a fine pointed tool to engrave undercuts on the belts of a large scale resin figure when it slipped and went into the thumb of my left hand - right to the bone!
trpsarge
Visit this Community
Ireland
entire network: 9 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 11:36 AM UTC
I kept an jar of white spirits next to the jar I used for Johns Clear/Future , jars exactly the same.

Decided to brush coat a model with what I assumed to be the Clear/ future.Took me a while to figure out why the paint lfted after the firstscoat!
pebblemonkey
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 180 Posts
KitMaker Network: 27 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 03:54 AM UTC
I've just F**Ked up two dragon kits By mixing up two Barrel parts that were in the same box!

The barrel shrouds look slightly similar (ones slightly wider and longer), but i ended up with a Panzer IV Ausf G with a mini Barrel and can't repair it as it broke the barrel when i tried to remove it for the panzer III.

I'm going to have to ask dragon care for a new Parts - Panzer IV barrel and a Panzer III Shroud.

Its my own fault trying to save space , getting two different kits into one box!

DOH!!!

Matt
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,274 Posts
KitMaker Network: 30 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 06:44 AM UTC
Apart from forcing a plastic cut job which broke the plastic and drove the blade into the top of my opposite index finger (the blade being somewhat dull both helped cause the accident and prevented it from touching bone) my other all-time bonehead incident was rubbing my eye while having a trace film of CA on my finger.

The touched part of my eyeball swelled for a few hours--it's amazing how much you move your eye about every minute...I could feel the swelling rub against the inside of the eyelid. As for the blade cut injury, I barely have any feeling on top of that part of the finger even a decade later...

--Karl
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 08:17 AM UTC
Ah yes....sticking a blade into one's self. Thank goodness I've only done that once....way back while living in Quarters at Fort Polk.

Danged if I can remember the kit I was working on (maybe the Academy 1/25th JagdPanther?). Not your typical nick, cut, or slice....but somehow managed to skewer my hand with a pretty fresh Uber Skiver blade. When I yelped and looked (you know how you kind of "open" your palm up to see what the heck you just did?).

Excerpt - wife came out after hearing me yelp.

As I opened the palm, that "streching" the skin.......the entry wound litterally "squirted" blood...barely missing the wife and hitting the sliding patio door. I "squeeked," she freaked, and was was DIRECTED that I go to the ER.....blade tip was no longer there on the Skiver, so we figured it was a good idea to make sure it wasn't in the hand. According to the ER, it wasn't....but even after all these years, ya gotta wonder where it went?

Mike
Rouse713
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 367 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 10:56 AM UTC
This was before I got serious into AFV modeling.

When I was in grade school, I was painting some green plastic army men. I was using a heavy gold flake lacquer to paint the ammo belts. I had set the jar down without screwing the lid on tight.

I went to pick the jar up again and shook it. Needless to say, the lacquer went all over my face and body.

My Dad got the lacquer off of my body with spot remover, but my face was still completely covered. Again with the spot remover under a sink until it was just too close to my eyes.

We never did get all of the lacquer off of my eyelids and lashes. So for the next week at school, I had gold eyelids and lashes I always remember to screw the lids on tight too.

Another interesting note: My exacto always seems to fall with the tip down. Maybe they could design it so the momemt of inertia of the rod is such that it rights itself. hmmmm
M4A2Sherman
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 316 Posts
KitMaker Network: 44 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 02:53 PM UTC
Hmmm... Well, very recentley I spent about a week looking for a vital piece of my Tamiya Churchill crocodile...Only to find out I had already attached the piece to the tank! Good memories (sort of)
M4A2Sherman
jaypee
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,699 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 08:23 PM UTC
I stripped the paint off the floats for my mc.72 floatplane.
I forgot that the legs where pinned and glued with CA.
When I rinsed over cleaner off one the legs detached and
disappeared down the kitchen sick. Arse!
Better break out the evergreen. Luckily I have the other
leg to base the copy on.
panzergoth
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 142 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 04:26 AM UTC
I was building the Tamiya Centaur a few years back and had base coated it in Tamiya acrylics. As a rule I always use dissimilarly based base coat paints and washes. I grabbed what I thought was a premixed jar of an oil filter,not realizing at the time that it was denatured alcohol. I proceeded to brush this onto the [thankfully] lower front running gear and watched with horror as the paint crackled, split and pulled away from the model. Of course I immediately stopped and left it alone, pondering what to do next. I just left it alone overnight and looked at it the next day, the paint had resettled down on to the model and only left very minor crackling. I attribute this to the fast drying alcohol, it didnt stay wet and continue to cause damage. I proceeded with the usual weathering, etc. and I guess it was acceptable for the judges at AMPS to give it a Gold medal at Eastern Front AMPS show in Fort Dix. Steve Zaloga even took a photo of it for the cover of Boresight. Now I label everything in jars so it doesnt wind up worse, next time I might not be so lucky, Jim Rosado
 _GOTOTOP