_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
E-25 What If
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 04:15 PM UTC

Man, oh man! I like this "What-if" because it keeps its feet in reality and natural progression. I can believe that the Germans would carry on with this vehicle.

Nice work man, it looks awesome.

Cuhail
John_O
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
entire network: 569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 32 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 12:04 AM UTC
I allready did a little test with a new plasticcard topplate en turret ring for the Kügelblitz. It will work out, but in the current version there won't be hatches for the driver (and the radio operator). So I'm thinking about some more extensive modification (cut lower into the frontplate as well) or escape hatches on the side(?).

My IPMS Gent colleague Eddy is also fully into the what ifs. He built a Berge E-25! And he's working on an E-100 mit kleiner V2, an E-100 with a V2 in 1/48 and lifting arm! I'll try to get some pictures. Our other ideas are an E-10 with Nebelwerfer or similar (Vielfachwerfer?).
I'm considering an E-100 with Taifun rockets in a later stage (2010) since my time is too limited and my skills need to grow. I believe Shatton Modellbau has a truck with these Taifuns.
BTW, does anybody have technical drawings of German rockets (that would fit a panzer)? I've got plenty of info (both docs and pics) I'm willing to share.

I'm also interested in creating the right engine deck and whatnot for the E-100 since both Dragon and Trumpeter are pretty far off when you see the latest drawings. To be honest, I'm really interested in collaborating with people to create an E-100 that is as close as possible to the latest info. Don't hesitate to contact me. Although I'm on the other side of the pond for most of you internet can work wonders.

Cheers guys!

John
SteveReid
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 52 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2009 - 01:58 PM UTC
Cuhail-
thanks man. I tried to expand on the trends rather than re-invent the wheel. I realized too late that stereoscopic sight bulges on the superstructure would have been cool. It is what it is..... I am pretty happy with it.

John_O-
I think the Kugelblitz E-25 will be a neat project. As for the lack of space for the driver and radio operator hatches- side entry would be interesting, but you could stretch the hull a half inch and change the roadwheel spacing. You will run out of track links, of course, I did. ( The kit also comes with rubber- band style tracks so it is pretty easy to locate some extras that are unused).
Where did you find the new info on the E-100 engine deck? I'd like to see it.

Steve
John_O
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 02:07 AM UTC
Jim, you've got mail (e-mail address in your profile)

cheers,

John
SteveReid
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 03:05 PM UTC
Hey Guys-
this project is in the home stretch. I am working on a base for the SturmE-25.
I decided to stay with styrene.

Here are some shots, layout drawing- on 40 thousandths.

Scribed and textured with Mr. Surfacer 1200

Sidewalk;

Manhole- with sprue label numbers:

Sewer drain grating:

Lamp Post:

Model on the base:

Now I need help.... I want to add road signs. Anyone have an idea where my "What- If" would be fighting in 1946? Name an urban area- because this vehicle was meant for the Sturmtiger/ Brumbar role.

Thanks, Steve

muchachos
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 537 Posts
KitMaker Network: 74 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 02, 2009 - 09:19 AM UTC
The manhole an the sewer grate are really nice details that I've rarely seen in any dios. The Sturm-Morser is brilliant. A great bit of scratchbuilding and weathering.

As for a location, you're going to need a what if story before we could come up with one.

Scott

scratchmod
Visit this Community
entire network: 796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 02, 2009 - 09:40 AM UTC
That's some awesome scratchbuilding Steve, and a very nice camo scheme too. The street scene is nice and the details such as the drain, manhole came out awesome.

Rob
pzkfwmk6
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 456 Posts
KitMaker Network: 231 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 02, 2009 - 12:21 PM UTC
Moscow!!!!! It is the main fighting arena in 46! At least in my little scenario!
SteveReid
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 02, 2009 - 02:02 PM UTC
Scott- this is my second "What-If" in 10 yrs. I haven't put a lot of thought into the back-story. I usually just try to take a couple of trends and extrapolate. (If that is the correct word). You make a good point though- maybe I should leave the setting up to the viewer.

As for the manhole and sewer grating...If you look at my original layout I made sure I knew where the tank was going to be. Then I tried to put something in every open space. Rubble will hide some more dead space as well. (and hopefully every mistake too)

Rob- I am a big fan of your stuff- positive feedback from you means a lot. I hope you will be seeing this in person at some point .

Ed- MOSCOW! That is some "What-If" scenario! Was the E-25 design that effective?

Thanks All for the feedback!
WeatherMan
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
entire network: 66 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 05:28 AM UTC
Hi

I think that a more plausible location for your Sturmmorser would be, for instance, any German big city.

CrazyEd
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
entire network: 88 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 09:39 AM UTC
Hi Steve, my friend John O told you about me, I'm the guy who's building the "E-25" Bergepanzer. First of all, your sturm-25 is great, the lay-out for your dio looks ok 2. About the location (of the dio) go crazy man ! This is "what if" ! Let's assume a lot of things did or rather didn't happen so your panzer can be anywhere ! What about London ? Or Bagdad ? I know sometimes it sounds crazy but hey this is what it's all about right ? I'm planning a dio of a coastal canon, a piece of the Atlanticwall anno 1950. And yes, in this case the allied landing never happened. Chances are I'm using a Mausturret. The early type because anno 1950 Germany used the Maus II. Well something like that, let me know what you think of my little scenario. Have fun !
SteveReid
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 11:55 AM UTC
Jose-
I like that idea ( Large German City) Tank could be part of a "What-If" Berlin relief mission.

Eddy- Yes! John sent me pictures of your BergE-25. I like that a lot ! You should post some pictures here! Many others would enjoy it as well.

London or Baghdad--- I know what you mean about "What-If" being anything you want it to be. I guess in a way really using your imagination shows your creativity. For me- I like to extend reality rather than suspend it. My favorite comments are the ones when someone says- "Looks plausible..." that is what I am going for.

Your BergE-25 accomplishes the same thing.

Thanks for the comments- Eddy post those pics man!
CrazyEd
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2009 - 08:07 AM UTC
Hi there Steve & other "E" lovers,
I'm working on the photo's of my "E-25"Bergepanzer, but don't expect much because the whole thing is still a work in progress ! But in the meantime I can tell you this : it's going 2 be a nice model, very compact. The panzer's been painted this week in a sort of ambush-camo & now the tracks will get my attention. Then the weathering & stuff. Maybe I'll throw in some pics of a "E-10" I finished a few weeks ago ! So please some patience, the pics will be posted soon, promised.
SteveReid
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2009 - 01:00 PM UTC
Guys,
here are some updated shots on some E-10's being built by AMPS Nordland.

Bob's E-10 Flammpanzer:

Primed (model master burnt umber):

British Crimson topcoat.

Camera did something strange to the red here- but if you ever want to do a red-oxide primer finish- this looks great.

Jim's E-10D mit 3cm aufklarungs

Next up- Schurtzen

Fun to watch these coming together-

Ed post up that E-25 Bergepanzer!

Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2009 - 01:29 PM UTC
Great stuff, and in amongst all this you have hidden a very fine model Steve.

As for the location, I would suggest a Russian locale. Following the 'Hitler assasinated in 1945' scenario, the German Army, purged of the SS, joins the Americans against the Russians.... I bet this baby would look good next to a Pershing...

lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,661 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2009 - 11:37 PM UTC
New york!!
John_O
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2009 - 11:57 PM UTC
I took some pics of Eddy's E-25 Bergepanzer:

In the meantime the project has evolved. Eddy will most probably provide new pics soon.

cheers,

John
Kaz
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
entire network: 40 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 01:11 AM UTC
Fantastic build ! Consider dio as the streets of Warsaw , " what if " the soviets were pushed back and the eastern front was consolidated on the Vistula river .
FlaminPole
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 102 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 04:08 AM UTC
My 2c, Stage it in Dresden. In Dresden, it is still close to the ending frontlines in 1945, and you could stage it as a push through the city to open a route for an attack into Poland or north to encircle soviet armies around berlin.
CrazyEd
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 11:11 AM UTC
Hey John , lots of t(h)anks for posting the foto's of my "E-25"Bergepanzer. It proofs I'm a complete with computers ! ! ! Meanwhile the hull has been painted & camouflaged, a jerrycanrack has been made & I fabricated some other stuff ... More foto's follow soon (I hope !) 4 everybody
SteveReid
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 01:41 PM UTC
Guys-
here is a small update- I finished my lamp post, put down the basic colors on the base and then dumped on some rubble. Still a ways to go....

The scrap steel in the pile and the lamp post are painted model master "burnt iron" as a base coat.
The rubble is celluclay, cat litter, some wire, Evergreen I- beam, sheet metal scraps, aftermarket bricks, white glue and water.

Henk, lespauljames, Kaz and Flaminpole- Thanks for the feedback and the ideas! I am leaning toward Germany.... but seriously appreciate the comments.

The next time I build a "What-If" it will be modern, Chinese and in the WALMART parking lot in the suburbs.

....and I love that E-25 Bergepanzer!
John_O
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 - 07:51 AM UTC
Eddy just dropped a cd with some additional WIP pics in my mailbox. Check it, aaaiii!

Cheerio,

John
Removed by original poster on 03/20/09 - 19:54:20 (GMT).
SteveReid
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 11:21 AM UTC
Guys- my E-25 "What-If" is done.

Wired it to the base, painted the rubble with acrylics, airbrushed clear flat and then dirtied it all up with pigments.

Here are some shots-

Lamp Post and Drain

Front Hull

Right side

Left side

Thanks for the encouragement on this one- I am ready to move on with something different.

CrazyEd
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 - 08:33 PM UTC
Yo Steve, you just build a mean-looking piece of armor man ! I like it, especially the wooden beam in front of the hull ! By the way, nice looking dio. Grtz, Eddy
 _GOTOTOP