_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Model Database
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 12:37 PM UTC
A few years ago someone on RMS posted a model database based on MS Access 97 or 2000. It is available for free from here: http://www.geocities.com/hpmsdbase/. I use it and for some of you guys with small but growing collections, now is the time to start data entry. At least it can help determine what kits you may have in your collection. For those of you with collections in the triple digit or higher numbers, it may already be too late
Bluefalcon47
Visit this Community
Netherlands
entire network: 255 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 07:00 PM UTC
Rob,

thanks for the link!!! I have tried to set up a modeldatabase myself in Access for some time now, but after a couple of tries I quit (like with some of my kits LOL). Mine was not nearly as advanced as this one, it looks great. I once tested another modeldatabase called Kitinfo (www.kitinfo.com) but that was a trial version and you have to pay (a modest fee) to get the full version. This product was also Access based. It had a lot of features, probably more than the link you sent, but then again, it's not free and most of us will never use all the extra features.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 10:33 PM UTC
Hey Sabot,

I tried using a database, even built my own with Access and even input the data, however, i have had easier time so far with a simple spreadsheet. I have it separated into worksheets for armor, aircraft, etc.
Jeff
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 10:38 PM UTC
I will admit that I just downloaded the two files you had in your earlier message. Thanks, Sabot. If you can work the queries a databae is better than a spread sheet for what I need.
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 10:51 PM UTC
Thanks very much for that link, Rob. I sent a thank you to the auther of the program, and it only seems fair to thank you for bringing it to my attention. My stash is getting out of hand, and this will be a big help. So thanks again, and thanks for continually posting the most helpful and interesting info. It is very much appreciated.

Mike

Sabot
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 11:02 PM UTC
I was actually updating my 1/35 scale armor database to add some of the kits that I "rediscovered". I had checked to see if there was an update to the program and there was. That's when a BFO (blinding flash of the obvious) occured: let some of you newer guys see the program. I felt that if I had this program when my stash was much smaller, it might not have gotten so large

At first, I used to put all kits on the same database, but as my collection grew, I have one for all 1/35 armor, one for sci-fi, one for aircraft, and one for all others.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 11:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Sabot,

I tried using a database, even built my own with Access and even input the data, however, i have had easier time so far with a simple spreadsheet. I have it separated into worksheets for armor, aircraft, etc.
Jeff

Me too Jeff. Since KitInfo is only for an Access software package (and Access only runs on PC's - I'm a Mac Driver) I've never gotten into it. Simple 'ol Excel Spreadsheets have been working for me too...

Gunnie
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 11:41 PM UTC
Ranger, I don't know which version of Excel you are using, but 2000 allows you to do rudimentary queries within the spreadsheet. You can sort data by specific column headings. Located under "data" on the menu bar.

Sorry if this is out of place for a model board, but I just took a class in Excel2000, and this immediately popped into my mind. Hope it may be helpful, but if not, please excuse.

Mike

cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 01:05 AM UTC
I also use an excell spreadsheet to keep track of my kits. One advantage is that I can transfer it to my Palm Pilot, so I don't buy something I already have.
Sabot is right, it is worth the time and effort to enter your kit data. And the time to start is when the stash is small.
Sabot
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 05:49 AM UTC
I do not have Access on my PC (it came with MS Office Small Business version), and the Access program works on my computer. I think it runs in the stand alone mode.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 06:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I do not have Access on my PC (it came with MS Office Small Business version), and the Access program works on my computer. I think it runs in the stand alone mode.

I just gave both downloads a shot - but no joy . Perhaps if I was running a Mac Power PC I'd have better luck, but no ability to use them on my iMac. Oh well, the good old spreadsheet has served me well for many years...

Gunnie
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 06:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm a Mac Driver

Ewwwww!!!! (just kidding, even though I've never liked Mac's)
Does anyone keep track of thier models with pen and paper??? I suppose that'd be tough when you've got a few hundred. It works great when you've got 17. You don't even need to write them down! ......most of the time......

YodaMan
Go Red Wings!!!
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 1,958 Posts
KitMaker Network: 720 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 07:00 AM UTC
Hi Rob!
Thanks for the link... I just was looking for something like that
Keep up the work man!
Sabot
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2003 - 07:42 AM UTC
Bumping this old thread back into the limelight with all the Stack'o Models talk. For those of you with small collections, believe me. It is easier to start now than to try to catalog several dozen kits (or hundreds) later.

Suggestion to those of you who have many kits in several genres, download multiple copies of the program and use one for 1/35 armor, another for 1/72 scale aircraft, etc.
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 2,029 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2003 - 07:47 AM UTC
Hey Rob,

I downloaded the program when you first started the topic, using it ever since, did some small adjustments so it suits me better, but now I have a inventory of my kits, paints and books, great little program.

_GOTOTOP