_GOTOBOTTOM
User Support
Having a problem with the site? Post it here.
unwanted ad mail @ my e-mail address
pagodaphile
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 62 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 06:43 PM UTC
Hello, I have only recently joined this site and have found it to be a rewarding resource for my hobby interests. That being said, I made the decision to join after viewing a disclaimer that my information would not be shared for advertising purposes. Well, I have now started to get unsolicited ad e-mail related to this sites interest profile.. I would expect and would be interested in viewing product info while at this site, but, I can not tolerate it following me to my e-mail address. If I am not at this site, I dont have the time to deal with unwanted spam-like mail. I have tried going into my profile to eliminate my e-mail address, no luck.
My question is simple, how can I eliminate unsolicited e-mails or do I need to opt out of the site?

CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 06:55 PM UTC
I will raise this in the staff forum as this should not occur.
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 06:56 PM UTC
Where is the email from?
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 07:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello, I have only recently joined this site and have found it to be a rewarding resource for my hobby interests. That being said, I made the decision to join after viewing a disclaimer that my information would not be shared for advertising purposes. Well, I have now started to get unsolicited ad e-mail related to this sites interest profile.. I would expect and would be interested in viewing product info while at this site, but, I can not tolerate it following me to my e-mail address. If I am not at this site, I dont have the time to deal with unwanted spam-like mail. I have tried going into my profile to eliminate my e-mail address, no luck.
My question is simple, how can I eliminate unsolicited e-mails or do I need to opt out of the site?

A spam blocker on your e-mail reader might help. I use Thunderbird and it culls most. You need to tag spam when it gets through and it won't appear again.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 07:20 PM UTC
Patrick,
We don't sell emails. Nor give them away. If you are getting spam and have some evidence that the sender got your email from this site then I would like to know about it so I can take some kind of legal action. Short of them hacking into our database there is no way they could get un-published emails.

If any member chooses to make their email visible to other members (in the profile area) than of course we can't prevent some unscrupulous companies from access the member list and getting those emails. However we take a dim view of this kind of marketing and have banned the only company we were aware of doing this. Who are these emails from? Perhaps putting their names out in public as spammers would be a good thing.

Regards,
Jim
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 07:41 PM UTC
Also let me really clear (as I have been in the past about this) and someone else has just emailed me about email removal:

1. We have a policy that does not allow for deletion of accounts. User can modify and remove information from their account as needed AND update the email to whatever one they wish (but have actual access to). We don't do this to be mean or to keep up membership numbers. We have 35,000 members and losing even 1,000 would be no big deal, however BECAUSE we have 35,000 members I am not running around deleting accounts or updating usernames on anyone's whim. I just don't have that kind of time and it also causes data corruption problems in the forum and elsewhere on the site. Registrations on most sites are this way. It's nothing that odd.

2. If you have an email account you are GOING to get spam. Get a good email service like Google Mail and it's not a big problem. They do the hard work in identifying spammers and they simply push them to your spam folder for you. And when one sneaks through on rare occasions you can click "spam" and those go away... forever.

3. Don't post emails in forums or anywhere that spiders can pick them up. Your public emails on this site are only visible to registered users and thus spiders will never see them unless they are visible on a post. Again... don't put emails in posts!

Thanks,
Jim
pagodaphile
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 08:08 PM UTC
THE E-MAIL WAS FROM FLAGSHIP MODELS, BY A RUSTY WHITE, (ADVERTISING A NEW SHIP MODEL) THANK YOU GENTLEMEN FOR YOUR REPLIES. I DO HAVE THE STANDARD SPAM BLOCKERS ALREADY. SINCE THIS IS THE ONLY SITE IN THE INDUSTRY THAT I BELONG TO AND VISIT, IT SEEMS A COINCIDENCE, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU CONSIDER THE BOTH MY JOINING THE SITE AND MY STARTING TO RECEIVE "PROFILED" E-MAIL OCCURING AT RELATIVELY THE SAME TIME.

Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 08:43 PM UTC
Perhaps you should email Flagship and ask them to disclose where they got your contact details from. I'm not sure about the US, but in both Australia and South Africa upon receipt of unsolicited correspondence (spam mail, junk mail, "cold calling") the consumer is legally allowed to demand the source that supplied them the address/tel. no. While you're at it, demand they remove you from their mailing list....
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 03:50 AM UTC
We will be looking into this and will report back on it when we have some answers as to where Flagship models got this email from. Rest assured I am going to make this a top priority.

Thanks,
Jim
pagodaphile
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 02:56 PM UTC
Update on my E-mail question: Contact was made with Flagship Models regarding their sources for e-mail generation. While the actual place where they received my particular info remains a little cloudy, they were gracious to advise that I have been taken off their database.
LAST BUT NOT LEAST: A public thanks to Jim, staff, and other members for taking the time to address this issue. the display of interest shown is greatly appreciated..Pagodaphile (Pat) out. ///////////////////
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2008 - 03:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Update on my E-mail question: Contact was made with Flagship Models regarding their sources for e-mail generation. While the actual place where they received my particular info remains a little cloudy, they were gracious to advise that I have been taken off their database.
LAST BUT NOT LEAST: A public thanks to Jim, staff, and other members for taking the time to address this issue. the display of interest shown is greatly appreciated..Pagodaphile (Pat) out. ///////////////////

That's very good to hear, Pat...this matter is something that we take as high priority here at KitMaker, and above all, protecting our members personal information is tops.

~Gunny
 _GOTOTOP