TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Valkyrie reviews not good
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2008 - 07:36 AM UTC
This isn't looking good! Guess there won't be all that much soul searching as to avoid Tom Cruise movie or go see a historically based movie.
Valkyrie
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,531 Posts
KitMaker Network: 290 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2008 - 07:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This isn't looking good! Guess there won't be all that much soul searching as to avoid Tom Cruise movie or go see a historically based movie.
Valkyrie

What, Tom Cruise not believable in a military movie? Look at Top Gun, what acting, he had me convinced from the get-go. AL
LuckyBlunder
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 273 Posts
KitMaker Network: 107 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 02:24 AM UTC
I agree.

TC played a convincing Sierra Hotel fighter Jock. A big kid with a hot rod. I think it's logical to assume he could play an aristocratic, veteran Prussian Army officer.

Seriously....I can't take the guy seriously.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 04:15 AM UTC
Hello Steve, There is a movie called "My Favorite Year", with Peter O'Toole playing a washed up actor doing a guest appearance on a live TV show. When told it is a live broadcast he freaks. One of the staff says to him," you can do it, you're an actor!", to which Peter O'Toole replies, "I am not an actor, I'm a Movie Star!". I never forgot that line, because there is a big difference between an Actor and a Movie Star, few people are both. Al
FalkeEins
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 868 Posts
KitMaker Network: 46 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 04:16 AM UTC

..actually the trailer looks good..plus there's a great cast of British worthies, Nighie, Branagh etc etc to lend suitable gravitas to proceedings....not to mention Eddie Izzard's German general
( he's a British cross-dressing 'lesbian-homosexual' stand-up comedian in real life...& that's his own definition...)
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 06:55 AM UTC
Eddie Izzard as a German General? Who is going to play Der Fuhrer, Moe of the Three Stooges? I would have to see it just for that reason alone. Are you sure it's not a comedy? Al
youpey
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 528 Posts
KitMaker Network: 53 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 03:25 AM UTC
that really stinks i wanted to see it, despite cruise

i will still see it, there is many times i dont agree with reviews
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 12:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

that really stinks i wanted to see it, despite cruise

i will still see it, there is many times i dont agree with reviews

Hi Mike, I agree about the value of a review. There was a critic named Rex Reed, The more he raved about a movie, the more I knew that I probably wouldn't like it. We rarely agreed on whether a movie was worth watching. Who knows, Tom Cruise may surprise us all! Al
LuckyBlunder
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2008 - 05:37 AM UTC
Having not seen the movie, I have to try to inject a little "benefit -of-the-doubt" for TC.

When I first heard that Leonardo DiCaprio was going to play Howard Hughes ina movie called The Aviator, I cracked up. But he did a creditable job (IMHO), despite inaccuracies and crummy dialog.

Maybe (LOL) TC will surprise us.
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2008 - 04:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Eddie Izzard as a German General? Who is going to play Der Fuhrer, Moe of the Three Stooges? I would have to see it just for that reason alone. Are you sure it's not a comedy? Al

"It's Springtime for Hitler and German-ee!"- 'The Producers'
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 06:25 AM UTC
While I don't hold much respect for his Scientology beliefs (even though I have read quite a few of L. Ron Hubbards sci-fi books), I did watch Jerry McGuire recently and was reminded that he *can* act. And he is charismatic. Some people think/thought John Wayne was a lousy actor as well. And for myself I can stand watching a thing that Susan Sarandon is in. But I don't argue that she is a competent actor.

I am also reminded of a topic I saw recently on a news site where people were ripping his x, Nicole Kidman, and saying she was an awful actress. People seem to really have issues with people they read about in tabloids. I have issues with people who read tabloids.

Jim
rotATOR
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 223 Posts
KitMaker Network: 53 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 09:55 AM UTC
I know they did the movie for the masses but it should have German dialogue with English subtitles..TC with a patch over one eye, playing a 1940's German officer with an American accent. How ridiculous is that?
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 12:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I know they did the movie for the masses but it should have German dialogue with English subtitles..TC with a patch over one eye, playing a 1940's German officer with an American accent. How ridiculous is that?

Not quite as ridiculous as Tony Curtis playing an English Knight with a Bronx accent," Yonda lies da castle of my Faddah."(Black Shield of Falworth). Al
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 08:05 AM UTC
One has to look no further than Tropic Thunder.....

Who knew TC could do comedy???

I thought he was great!!
LuckyBlunder
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2008 - 12:29 AM UTC
The wife and I are going to a movie this afternoon. I have my choice of Valkyrie or The Day the Earth Stood Still.

If there's anybody out there who's seen both let me here from you.

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2008 - 02:02 AM UTC
My 13 year old cousin and his father hated The day The Earth Stood Still, much preferring the 1951 original.
Switzersland
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 196 Posts
KitMaker Network: 105 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2009 - 10:05 AM UTC
wait for the DVD I give them Both 7 weinershcnittzell chili cheese dogs
Eaglewatch
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 180 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 04:25 PM UTC
I always believe that people should make there own minds up about films because quite simply a lot of these "film critics" today are men in there 60's who still believe classic films like Gone with the wind and E.T. are the best films of all time -please . I say view the trailer and if it looks good check it out
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 461 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 09:03 PM UTC
Lyndon I normally gage a movie on the merits of the critics. If they like it I do not go, if they do not like the movie I will go and probably enjoy myself. Works 90% of the time.

Robert
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 11:32 PM UTC
Well, out of boredom, I went to see it the other day, and enjoyed it.
But then again call me strange........ I got to movies to be entertained not for research.
motorbreath23
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 159 Posts
KitMaker Network: 20 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 08:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

One has to look no further than Tropic Thunder.....

Who knew TC could do comedy???

I thought he was great!!

I thought that role might have been his best ever. Unfortunately he keeps wanting people to take him seriously and I doubt that that's ever going to happen considering the retardedness he displays on a regular basis. If he was smart he would do more obscene bit roles and give up the leading man routine. I doubt that anyone watching Valkyrie is convinced that Tom Cruise is anyone other than Tom Cruise....

and FWIW shame on the producers and director for doing the movie in English. That's just plain stupid and highlights the conceited, elitist, pandering attitude that infests Hollywood.
cyclones6
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,199 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 10:53 AM UTC
I saw Valkyrie
It was OK
But now I'm always gonna think of Tom Cruise as a Nazi
Vic
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,697 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 10:17 PM UTC

Why Tom Cruise? There are so many better actors out there that would have been much better for the part.

I've just seen Defiance with Daniel Craig, I thought it was a good film and what made it much better was that the actors took the trouble to speak with Russian accents and pulled it off very well. This is what you call acting. Playing the part of a German and speaking in an American accent just doesn't work and is not worth the money he was paid or any of the others.

Vic
Eaglewatch
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 180 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 01:18 PM UTC
Hi guys i went and saw Valykrie at the pictures yesterday and to be perfectly honest it wasn't as bad as i thought (apart from american and british actors playing german without german accents ) the one bit of the film i was suprised at was the arresting of Stauffenberg in the tv movie Plot To Kill Hitler done in 1990s it showed shoot-outs between the conspirators and the soldiers faithful to hitler whereas in Valykrie there's only a slight skirmish involving pistols but other than that i liked it
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 - 05:59 AM UTC
Watched the movie and thought it was OK. Not great, but not bad.

On accents -- why the heck should they have German accents? They're supposed to be speaking German, not English. It's only in English cos we can't understand German. When you read a book and they have the German dialogue in English, do they spell it "Fee haf vayz of meking you tok?"

It's not 'Allo 'Allo.