TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Valkyrie reviews not good
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 - 09:59 AM UTC
IMHO i try to keep an open mind when going to the movies - Hollywood has a way of pandering to the masses.After all it`s entertainment not history,how many of us know people who would condemn a movie as S**t if was historically accurate.
What has a habit of peeing me off is when the makers make HUGE and glaring errors (take "Top Gun",there is no top gun trophy - what the graduates take away is something far more precious,KNOWLEDGE).
I`m not defending Hollywood,not when gems like "Saving Private Ryan" come out,i still get a lump in my throat watching the D-Day scenes.Just do what i do,watch it when you`re modelling and enjoy the scenes you love and ignore the rest.
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,116 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,015 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 - 10:24 AM UTC
Rented it a couple weeks ago, I like any WWII movie, no matter how bad or unrealistic it is. they do entertain me. Even thought I knew the story it keep my interest. As far as TC goes he did an ok job of conveying Staffensberg's role in the plot to kill Hitler. Besides I enjoyed the popcorn / My viedo rental store always has free movie theater style popcorn on the weekends. milvehfan
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 - 12:45 PM UTC
Back to THIS topic.
Well, I did get it from Netflix last week. Okay at best. Most of the militaria looked pretty good though according to this, Berlin never got the memo to go to dunklegelb. As history, it wasn't awful. As a thriller, knowing the end., except if his wife would be olkay, took away a lot of the tension. The part that got me though was the eyeball in the highball to get the attention of the general(?). The lack of German accents didn' trealy bother since everyone was supposed to eb speaking German. ANyway, I'd give it two stars, one just for the relative accuracy of the DAK stuff at the beginning.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2009 - 01:30 AM UTC
My wife and I liked it. It was interesting and entertaining.

As far as Tom Cruise and comedy go, just think back to the iconic scene in Risky Business when he's dancing in his underwear. Classic.
mvfrog
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 369 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2009 - 01:03 PM UTC
One thing that I thought was interesting was that the last scene (executions) were shot on the exact spot where they originally took place. They told the cast that on that evening before the scene as taken...that they would be standing where their character was executed. However, there was a 90 minute (I think) piece on the history channel if I remember correctly that was much better, and accurate, and used lots of film clips and photos from WWII and the time of the assassination attempt. that's the one to watch. It finishes with a few minutes of footage from the shooting of the movie 'Valkyrie.' I agree, though, that the movie is not that great.

Matt
lisajackusde
Visit this Community
Germany
entire network: 3 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2012 - 02:52 PM UTC
I never forgot that line, because there is a big difference between an Actor and a Movie Star, few people are both.