Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Stick-on rivet heads?
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,362 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 03:34 AM UTC
Scale Hardware rivets are nice...but very expensive if you want to use a bunch of them.

I hear Lionroar makes stick-on bolt heads and the like. Do they or anyone else make rivet heads? Thanks.
CDK
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 358 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 04:32 AM UTC
Archers have some.

http://www.archertransfers.com/catSurfaceDetails.html

dropshot
Visit this Community
Provincia de Pontevedra, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 300 Posts
KitMaker Network: 80 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 04:41 AM UTC
Hi Tom I canīt think who did them but I have seen some Photo-etch bolts & rivets,screws etc, & they look a bit scarce on the fret. I know that the punch & die kits are expensive. My solution was to buy some 1mm Plastruct styrene hexagonal rod. For smaller than 1mm I just heated & stretched it, for larger I heated it up & let it contract before slicing them off very carefully. I have some leftover frets of Eduard Photo-etch & I wondered why they have hexagonal &round holes down the side in different sizes. It did occur to me that one could flatten out some epoxy putty & press the PE fret in it to make bolts & rivets to cut of when the putty has cured .I really donīt know but itīs an idea.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 05:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Scale Hardware rivets are nice...but very expensive if you want to use a bunch of them.

I hear Lionroar makes stick-on bolt heads and the like. Do they or anyone else make rivet heads? Thanks.

Mig make them. Here's a review https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/3401
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 673 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 10:37 AM UTC
Hi there

I have been told by some really great scratchbuilders on the various sites I am on to get hold of a re-fill for a Britax water filter. You are supposed to open the filter up expose the filter medium inside. If I remember right you need to put them on the window sill to dry them out.

They are tiny and of slightly variaing sizes that you can easily select for size of heads suitable for 1/24, 1/35 and I believe even 1/72 scales.

The beauty is there are thousands of these in each filter refill. I have seen the results on scratch projects by some of the finest. I have yet to try it myself.

Nige
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:15 AM UTC

reply to post by Nige
The product is called a Brita water filter and yes, it has thousands of hex-shaped bits inside of it.
Much cheaper than any of the above suggestions, but, yes, they do take a day or so to "dry out".

Good memory, man!

Cuhail
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,362 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 01:35 PM UTC
Thanks for all the info, folks.

But as I need a bunch of 0.8mm half-rounds, it seems that Scale Hardware is still the way to go for this.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 02:19 PM UTC

Tom:

I second Lamont's suggestion. Archer's Surface Details are actually resin rivet heads on decal film. You apply them to your bare model, then paint over the top. I have used the casting numbers and have samples of the rivets -- they are awesome. Easy to apply, not too bad in price for what you get on a sheet -- and they are about as close to "stick-on rivets" as you will find.
CDK
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 358 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 02:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Much cheaper than any of the above suggestions

Oh really ?

When's the last time you bought a refill for your Brita Cuhail ?

thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 02:25 AM UTC
When I need to use rivet heads for a project I head down to the local Model railroad shop . Grant line has them in many sizes and shape 50 come in a bag and for a buck that's not bad . Of course they many not be the stick on kind but you do have a choice of plastic or brass .
Sandy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 628 Posts
KitMaker Network: 212 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 07:04 AM UTC
Hi all , Since I was the originator of Rivets by the Million , ie the use of the contents from water filter canisters . Let me set the record straight . they need to be air dried for about 4 days . Danger do not try to speed up the drying by putting into a Micro Wave , you will end up with the best pebble dash kitchen . When dry store in an air tight jar .
To use them mark out the spacing and drill a depression about half the dia of the rivet head . To use you can glue them with any of the following , Liquid poly , superglue, Varnish , white wood glue , paint .
They are not hex head but infact a a fully formed ball in 24 sizes .
You can place them in the depression by using the wet pointed end of cocktail stick , then add glue . Leave to dry and paint .
If you want dome buttons for uniforms .select the right dia and amount and add a few extra . Place them on a scrap piece of cling film , add a drop of the selected colour ie bronze , gold or silver to clink film and roll the balls into the paint then roll them out and leave to dry out . Then use in the same way as rivets and hey presto fully formed domed buttons . cheers ian sadler
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 673 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 09:13 AM UTC
Hi Ian

Glad you were able to add the bit about the micro wave. I have still got to get hold of a refill pack yet. Is on my famous to do list.

It would be great to see some of your work again Ian. last time I saw it was Perth Model show.

Hope you are doing fine.

All the best

Nige
Sandy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 628 Posts
KitMaker Network: 212 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 10:26 PM UTC
Hi Nige , Stand is booked for perth next year , we hope to bring as many of the Wallace and Gromit at the movies from this years Nationals as we can pack in. cheers ian
BROCKUPPERCUT
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 79 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 01:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

. I have some leftover frets of Eduard Photo-etch & I wondered why they have hexagonal &round holes down the side in different sizes. It did occur to me that one could flatten out some epoxy putty & press the PE fret in it to make bolts & rivets to cut of when the putty has cured .I really donīt know but itīs an idea.

i think that you can make rivet and bolt heads with that , heat up some sprue and push it into the holes then cut the bolt/rivet heads off and repeat (alot)
 _GOTOTOP