_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Filipino Modelers Phorum
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Need comments on my AFV
warthog
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,460 Posts
KitMaker Network: 366 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 02:36 PM UTC
Hi,

I'm still in the process of finishing my Tamiya Wespe Sd. Kfz. 124 and I need some inputs from you guys (if you don't mind). Any comments (bad or good) will be very much appreciated. I have not sprayed flat clear coat yet because I just finished weathering it.

I'm ashamed to say this, but it took me almost 6 moths to complete the Wespe. My excuse is because I do modelling only at night only once or twice a week -- dami trabaho office, alaga pa nang baby ( daughter ), utos pa wife........

photos can be found on:
http://photos.yahoo.com/aarbolado/ -- under the ARMOR album

I plan to make a diorama for the wespe. I am just preparing some of the diorama materials. Actually I'm currently scratchbuilding a pine tree, some sand bags and tent rolls for it . I did not post picture of the tree coz my wife said parang may sakit daw iyong puno -- nakakalbo na daw.

Thanks guys.

PS
Some of the photos may be dark due to incorrect lighting or camera setting
crismag
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
entire network: 280 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 02:51 PM UTC
looks good to me maybe you could still add some real dirt and mud. just mix real garden soil with water and white glue and brush the stuff on the tracks, wheels and the underside of the tank
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 02:59 PM UTC
Very nice Wespe! Anong ginamit mo for weathering? Gusto ko ang effect lalo na sa may superstructure.
LaTtEX
Visit this Community
entire network: 292 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 03:00 PM UTC
Maganda naman! Just needs some more weathering as crismag suggested.

Don't fuzz about taking so long... you are not alone! It's not in the speed of finishing the model anyway.
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 03:04 PM UTC
Thanks for the advice. I do plan to add some soil, but I'm still in the process of deciding on what the ground work for the diorama would look like. I also just bought myself lots of Elmers glue for the soil mixture -- yummy...

Crismag:Be-lated Happy Bday nga pala.

Thanks again
crismag
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
entire network: 280 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 03:10 PM UTC
thanks warthog but my birthday is on saturday pa lang

elemers glue? sobra mahal nun for our hobby, i suggest you buy and use shelwood, its an industrial white glue just like elmers but a lot cheaper! i buy this stuff sa mga hardware, comes in a white plastic container na sinlaki ng gin bilog
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 03:22 PM UTC
Jeepney: For weathering I just used dilluted tamiya and a hardware acrylic paint paint(Boysen yata iyon dark burnt umber -- sa wife ko yata iyon gamit niya sa zen fountain niya).

I applied mixture of red-brown, flat black and a small drop of white for the rusts. The "Boysen" paint was used of the tracks and underchassis. I also dry brushed some pencil shavings for the metal looking parts.

A mixture of medium blue, black and red-brown dilluted with water (not alcohol) was used for the upper hull of the wespe ( I applied clear gloss finish first -- that is why some parts are still glossy).

The supposedly tent-roll attached to the spare tracks in front is actually made of coaxial cable insulation.

Thanks
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 04:54 PM UTC
crismag: Sorry, advanced greeting pala dapat. Shellwood..hmmm...I'll remember that.. ubusin ko muna nabili ko.

BTW, I got the 1 or 1/2 liter elmer's glue for a 109.00 pesos at ACE HW...akala ko mura na iyon..

Thanks again....
lonewolf
Visit this Community
entire network: 478 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 05:17 PM UTC
Astig! ^_^

Maganda cya..^_^

Ano gamit mo? AirBrush?

Pwede kaya ma kuha yang ganyang effect pag spray paint lang gamit?

Hanggang Spray Lang kse ako....Mahirap lang ako...Wala akong AB..T_T

kAYA Figures lang ako...Gusto ko sana mag ARMOR din..

Try ko sana yung KommanderWagen ng Tamiya, pero baka ma mess up ko lang yung kit...

warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 09:11 PM UTC
Lonewolf: The weathering was actually done using an old brush. Iyon nga ang ironic sa armor -- I used airbrush for the smooth paint finish then, bababuyin ko for the weathered look -- like what I did.

I used spray paint for the gloss finish before applying the wash -- para tumulo sa sides iyong dilluted paint at mag-mukhang madumi. The answer to your question is yes, you can achieve the same effect even without an airbrush.

Hope it helps.

GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 10:20 PM UTC
Nice work! Don't worry about the 6-month build time. Hey, I still gots a 1/48 Flanker half-built... FOR 5 YEARS ALREADY! (plus several other projects in, uh, 'various states of completion" )

I like the weathering. BTW, although there's no hard-and-fast rule in weathering, I add my mud after putting the flat coat. Actually, gloss coat, then wash, then flat coat, then dry brush, mud, etc.
blitz
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 502 Posts
KitMaker Network: 432 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 01:39 AM UTC
great work ... have u tried drybrushing... humbrol enamels diluted in lighter fluid it's good ..(problema quick grying time) washes naman i use oil paints.. raw umber.. work well with all armor color...just to avoid black..paint thinner will do available in all hardware..so medyo grimy talaga effect...
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 02:04 AM UTC
GI: I'll apply mud/soil (as crismag also suggested) as soon as I finish some of the additional tent-rolls, sandbags and pine tree that I am currently scratchbuilding, it will be part of the diorama. I'm currently in the process of painting the tent-rolls I created using air-dry clay and elmer's wood putty (experimenting on local materials rather than buying imported ones -- no more money).

Blitz: I'm sorry I have not tried using enamel (kills brain cells -- konti na lang ang sa akin, baka maubos pa...he..he..he), but I am will to try using oil for washes. What brand of oil paint do you use nga palam if you don't mind? Thinner...hmmm...I used it to wash the base coat for the pine tree I'm currently making, you are right it is grimy but it does it's job.

Guy's thank's again for the very informative inputs and recommendations....
shonen_red
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 02:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

thanks warthog but my birthday is on saturday pa lang

elemers glue? sobra mahal nun for our hobby, i suggest you buy and use shelwood, its an industrial white glue just like elmers but a lot cheaper! i buy this stuff sa mga hardware, comes in a white plastic container na sinlaki ng gin bilog

More cheaper than elmer's glue? Got to check that out :-)
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 02:30 AM UTC
Good job! Well, have you got any closer shots on the infantry? I wanna see the details of the infantry.

About the tank, does it have any internal and bottom shots?

The model is somewhat shinny for me or is it just the lighting?

Overall, it's a nice model. Buti pa kayo, kaya nyo tanks! Hanggang AC lang ako.

About the time to complete it, don't be sorry about it. There's always time for everything....
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 03:05 AM UTC
Shonen: Sorry, I do not have a close-up of the infantry -- kasi pangit sila.

Yes, the tank is somewhat shiny coz, it still have remnants of the gloss finish I applied before I did the wash. I have not sprayed it with the clear flat yet coz, I need to add a few more attachements/accessories such as tent rolls. The lighting also added some shine to the tank.

I did not do any bottom shots because I am planning to add some soil/mud finish as suggested by crismag and BI. I'll try to shoot some internal shots and I'll add it when I get the time.

Actually, I do not do AC because I think I do not have the talent for it -- for me, I think mas mahirap ang AC kesa tanks. If you could do AC, then you could easily do tanks.

Thanks
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 10:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Buti pa kayo, kaya nyo tanks! Hanggang AC lang ako.

About the time to complete it, don't be sorry about it. There's always time for everything....

I find AC more, uh, 'intimidating'

Want your first AFV? I'm thinking of selling my Academy 1/35 Zelda which is less than half-built, as well as a Tamiya Hummer with Bushmaster (the early Tamiya hummer, that is) in pristine condition - both for a significant discount. Reason I'm selling them is I don't have the time or heart to build them and it's sad to see a kit unbuilt
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 02:37 PM UTC
Why not build your Zelda and we'll display them together in the next show? I'm building mine as the comm version. You can do the Toga version
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 05:29 PM UTC
When an where is the next show?
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 06:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't really know. Sana magkaroon ng Motorex uli this year. Sina crismag ay nagpaplanong mag-organize ng show sa Shangri-La EDSA before the year ends.
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 08:02 PM UTC
Thanks for the info...sana matuloy
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 12:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Don't really know. Sana magkaroon ng Motorex uli this year. Sina crismag ay nagpaplanong mag-organize ng show sa Shangri-La EDSA before the year ends.

That's good! Pwede ba akong sumali? May bayad ba?
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 12:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I find AC more, uh, 'intimidating'

AC more intimidating? Why so? I think it is the easiest model of all
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 01:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Shonen: Sorry, I do not have a close-up of the infantry -- kasi pangit sila.

Yes, the tank is somewhat shiny coz, it still have remnants of the gloss finish I applied before I did the wash. I have not sprayed it with the clear flat yet coz, I need to add a few more attachements/accessories such as tent rolls. The lighting also added some shine to the tank.

I did not do any bottom shots because I am planning to add some soil/mud finish as suggested by crismag and BI. I'll try to shoot some internal shots and I'll add it when I get the time.

Actually, I do not do AC because I think I do not have the talent for it -- for me, I think mas mahirap ang AC kesa tanks. If you could do AC, then you could easily do tanks.

Thanks

AC is easier if you get the hang of it. Basta alam mo lang yung trick and everything will go fine. Tungkol naman sa fig mo, it's Ok to be seen because we are not perfect anyway. Buti nga kayo kaya nyo mga figs that size eh About the tank, it looks fine sayang nga lang walang bottom pics. Anyway, as LaTtEX sez There's room for improvement. Goodluck!
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 12:04 AM UTC
Shonen: some say its intimidating or mahirap maybe because of the small parts -- there are more smaller parts in AC than in AFV. Another thing maybe is the expectation that finished AC model should be almost near the actual aircraft to give it justice...its just my opinion...anyway opinion pa lang. Again, after I finish the King Tiger I just bought, I promised myself that I will give AC a try. This is to prove or disprove my theory.

About the figure, I did not really give it a closeup because of the mistake I made during painting -- especially the face, kaya nasabi ko na pangit aside from the fact na pangit sila (physical aspect).

I promise you, I'll get a bottom pics once I added the other accessories ( i'll just advise).

Thanks a lot guys for the inputs, most if not all will be very helpful.
 _GOTOTOP