Local, Regional, or International.
A Question About Judging
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 11:51 AM UTC
Last weekend I went to an IPMS model show with models in tow. I will be the first to admit I am an OK modeler, not a great modeler. This is not a rant on why I didn't win - it's more of a question on an observation.

I entered several models and 3 different catagories. Armored vehicles, small dioramas and figures.

After the judging was concluded and winners announced the same guys kept being called up to accept their awards. These are guys who enter not one or two models but about 8-10 in multiple catagories. Year after year I hear their names called and to be honest I am a bit olive drab about it.

Has it been anyone's experience in a contest where it makes you wonder why ?
GunTruck
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 12:01 PM UTC
All the time...

It's the "Human Element" of any/all Model Contests.
DonFlynn
entire network: 38 Posts
KitMaker Network: 35 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 05:16 PM UTC
Trouble is for some modelers its about the contest, they build for that and will shotgun a category, if they have good stuff then unless a contest has a no sweep or limited sweep rule they better the odds for themselves.

Most contests I know are moving ot no/limited sweeps. Here at the contest I run (Cincinnati Scale Modelers, this Oct 18th ) we have a limited sweep rule (modeler can only win 2 in a category) plus we limit our own members to 1 entry per category.
Uruk-Hai
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 795 Posts
KitMaker Network: 109 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 09:38 PM UTC
Are we talking an "Open" system in rewards?
Also is the "no sweep" used in competiions with an "Open" system?

Cheers
GSPatton
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 08:06 AM UTC
There is definitely a "no sweeps" rule in place. Perhaps I could clear this up by stating that my impression is that these "winners" work is so well know that it could perhaps skew the judgement of the judges. Just a thought.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 02:57 PM UTC
Yeah, I get this feeling too - even when I'm judging other categories...

It seems, to me over the years, that many local contests lean to their own modelers because the judges have seen these kits at their monthly meetings and they're more "familiar" with it than models from outside their own local area. When in doubt, it appears the calls go towards the things and modelers they know best.

We've been talking about that for years here in Northern California. Sometimes it gets better and contest results seem to make more sense for everyone participating - sometimes, it is a strange ride and contest goers just don't understand how things all shake out in the end and if the locals place more, allegations of "home cooking" flow freely in absence of information to the contrary.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 03:29 PM UTC
Hey there guys,

Our show judging is based on a modified Open System. Points are spread from 0-45 pts. 0-10 gets you nothing, 11-25 points gets you a bronze, 26 to 39 points is Silver Range and 40-45 pts is gold range. No matter how many kits are entered into a said category, what ever your kit scores, you get the corresponding medal. The kit with the highest pts. is best in class, and the kit with the highest score over all in all categories is best in show. The Head Judge also has the ability to award 1-5 pts based on a "WOW" factor if there is a tie in any category or for Best in Show.

So in theory, you could have multiple gold, silver and bronze medals awarded in the same category, however the kit with the highest score is awarded the best in class.

As far as limitations go. We allow up to 3 kits from the same modeler per category. However.....if a modeler enters 3 kits, and say, scores a 24, a 27 and a 39, he doesn't end up with 3 medals. If a modeler has more than one kit in a category, we take the highest scoring kit, and that is what the modeler gets for an award in that category.

So there is no 1st, 2nd and 3rd for someone to sweep, and if they do enter more than one model in the category, only the highest scoring kit ends up being awarded.

So far it has worked for 20 years, going on 21 next May.....
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 06:27 PM UTC
A suggestion to anyone who has a problem with the judging in any system: volunteer to help judge.

It will take much of the mystery out of it and give a bit of "leveling" or "neutralizing" effect. Under no circumstances should just the "homeboys" judge the show. Other modelers from out of town ought to be welcomed to help with judging. I'd run away from any show that will not welcome the help, as it is always needed at an honest show.

If you help judge other people's models, I guarantee you will start looking at your own models with a different eye.
Uruk-Hai
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 795 Posts
KitMaker Network: 109 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 09:27 PM UTC
When I was the Head Judge for the IPMS-Open here in Sweden Ive introduced a system of "Trainees".

Anyone who wanted could tag along with a team consisting of two judges for every class.
This to train people to become judges later on as it always seems to be a lack of judges but also to show contestants how the models were judged.

This worked very well and everyone said it helped their understanding as well as it improved their modelling skills and finnish knowing common mistakes.

I dont say that everyone who taged along are suitable or ready to be a judge but you have to start somewhere and the complaints about the judging dropped amazingly.

Cheers
 _GOTOTOP