Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Quirky Modelling Habits
youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 2,166 Posts
KitMaker Network: 473 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 01:54 AM UTC
Everyone has their own quirky modelling habits, I'd like to share a few of mine.

Biting down hard on my bottom lip and sweating when figure modelling. I can't help it, and it only happens when I am assembling body parts on figures. If I have to do a conversion, i.e. slicing off a hand or filing off a neck, I sweat uncontrollably and bite hard, almost drawing blood. So, I have to have a 5 minute break every 10 minutes to avoid fainting!

I have no idea why, does anyone else suffer this? I do hate the sight of blood and seeing decapitated heads or people getting arms blown off in movies really makes me sick.

Chas
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 03:14 AM UTC
Cant say I sweat it, when having to cut something .... I usually waste a week or two deciding first ... then I can save on the sweat

My quirky habbit is .... I need to clean the whole work area first. Can´t have anything from previous builds or scrap in the way ... even tools from the previous build.
I might have some mild form of OCD or maybe its because Ive worked in the medical appliance manufacturing for 18.5 years, and line clearance has been instilled deep in my brain somewhere. I hate a messy workspace. Appears I may be alone here, after seeing all those work benches here recently.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 03:58 AM UTC
Seems like I have a habit of getting something just right, a figure, sub assembly, etc., holding it up to the light in the basement and promptly dropping it four feet unto the cement floor.
Much swearing ensues...

Shaun

youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 04:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...My quirky habbit is .... I need to clean the whole work area first....

Me too, I feel the need to clean up before and after each session.

Quoted Text

Seems like I have a habit of getting something just right, a figure, sub assembly, etc., holding it up to the light in the basement and promptly dropping it four feet unto the cement floor.
Much swearing ensues...

Shaun

I also have a cement floor and I'm convinced some of my figures attempt suicide by leaping from my hands!

Chas
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 05:04 AM UTC
I always clean my worktable, all my tools are in drawers next to me and they always go back in the exact same place. I line up finished road wheels in perfect rows. My #1 handles are all color coded. And yes, I DO have moderate OCD!
Quirky? I HAVE to be wearing jeans and sneakers to be able to work. I've tried modeling in shorts and bare feet and just couldn't do it!
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,661 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 05:11 AM UTC
suffering cuts to my fingers,
very long sessions, and making a friggin huge mess
dropshot
Visit this Community
Provincia de Pontevedra, Spain / España
entire network: 300 Posts
KitMaker Network: 80 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 06:53 AM UTC
Whenever I´m painting I have my tongue stuck out & I never even realized until my wife & sister-in law started laughing.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 07:17 AM UTC
I have an obsessive compulsion to also clean out the workshop before beginning another project.

But, I think that is because I have a quirky habit of totally wrecking it with the project before...

I tend to pull out boxes and bins of stuff that have nothing to do with the current project I'm working on. I think it is a subconscious way to break the monotony of focusing on one thing at a time. So, for a M5A1 Stuart (like I'm plowing ahead on now) the work area is cluttered with Star Wars Fighters, Lost in Space Chariot and Space Pod and a Trumpeter Kilo Class Attack Submarine...

I guess I make it more challenging to actually finish what I'm "supposed" to be working on by distracting myself...
lampie
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 07:22 AM UTC
I can never seem to concentrate properly unless I have a radio station called "Planet Rock" playing. (classic rock and metal)
Once Ive started a kit I never hoover the room or empty the bin until the kits finished. A futile attempt to outwit the carpet monster I know!
I get pretty obsessed with getting the detail right as well. What is surprising though is when I realise what Ive messed up, usually way too late to do anything about it
But all this is completely normal though.,,
isn't it?
..............................isn't it??

Nige
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,226 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 11:37 AM UTC
I too must have a mild form of ocd! Once a project is completed I have to clean everything up, put tools and paints away.Start off with a clean work area that seems to get cluttered very quickly
Darryl
calvin_ng
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,024 Posts
KitMaker Network: 270 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 01:22 PM UTC
i have a very annoying habit, well 2 actually, i constantly spill things and drop tools on the ground(that im not using) and i yell holysh*t if i hurt myself, i hope to quit these habits especially the second one i shouldnt be cursing at my age p.s matthew try modeling in shorts it take most of the pressure away ive tried it
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 03:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've tried modeling in shorts and bare feet

YEah,them dropped xactos tend to impale bare flesh.
My quirks are putting the tools away when I am finished with the day's building,but I don't obsess over putting away the assembly I have built to that point. I am lucky,as I have room,and no pepole to mess with my stuff.
youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 03:29 PM UTC
Wow, it seems that everyone here is a 'tidy' modeller.

So, is there anyone out there who does not clean their workspace after every session?
UncaBret
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 767 Posts
KitMaker Network: 89 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 03:46 PM UTC
Clean my workspace?

Whatever for?
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 03:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So, is there anyone out there who does not clean their workspace after every session?

Hi, I'm Mike and I am a total slob...

Hi Mike...

Not only do I not clean between sessions, I rarely clean.
The benchtop is a total mess.

My quirky habit is to clip away unused sections of sprue and discard them after I use the parts.
As the model progresses, the amount of sprue in the box decreases radically keeping me motivated.

Mike
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 11:53 PM UTC
You have a habit of keeping your working place tidy? Good for you!
How could that be considered quirky?

Quoted Text

Another sloth reporting in!

Although I usually clean up my work bench between...hmmm....something.
I can't honestly claim to clean up between sessions. Between builds? Well, more like that. Kinda... Every once in a while when I get completely disgusted with the amount of entropy on my desk! I currently have three models on my bench, fitting snugly (give or take) between all my tools, paints and all the miscellaneous junk that inevitably builds up.
Free working space on my table top measures about 15cm by 30 cm at the moment...

I've better take some horror photos of the pile before I get the urge to clean it up again.
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,661 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 01:11 AM UTC
what is this "tidy" word of wich you speak?
exigent99
entire network: 100 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 04:32 AM UTC
surely you jest!
I need shots, a gasmask, and sidearm just to enter my work area.
Treadhead12
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 162 Posts
KitMaker Network: 45 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 05:18 AM UTC
Chewing on a stick of gum while I am working on a model. I clench my teeth and chewing reduces the pressure on my mouth.

Work space - work area is little bigger than a newspaper folded in half. The rest of the table is covered with paints, brushes, tools and few left overs. Oh, and a small foam square where the cat whiskers are collected. Use those for antennas.
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 05:25 AM UTC
Clean workspace? Clutter and chaos are what keeps me going. I cleaned everything very well once and spent the remainder of the year looking for things.
Clean, tidy, orderly.....all words that don't register in my vocabulary.
Someone mentioned Sloth? (my hand goes up in agreement)

Cheers,
Charles

Quirky? I once read in a FSM (?) of a guy who liked to build models in the nude! Too dangerous (and cold) for me!
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 05:34 AM UTC
Shorts yes!!
Clean... I've actually started to again...
I now have to have the TV on or Music playing while I work.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 12:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Right here I don't clean neither might do it once in a few months.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 02:58 PM UTC
I clean the work bench perhaps once a year, and normally wear shorts and slippers. Never dropped an exacto knife into my foot, but did drop a steak knife through it once. (But I've been knifed a few times in my younger days--- and it had nothing to do with modeling or eating! )
I guess quirky would be having the TV on........ and the TV is located behind me where I can't watch it.
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 785 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 03:35 PM UTC
Clean work space Ha! cleaned once this year, and still looking for tools I put up so I wouldn't loose them. Other quirks include, but not limited to:
I work with hot plastic so before I place any melted plastic to a figure I'll take a deep breath and hold it,( much like firing a rifle, oh the things you remember from boot camp).
If I don't finish a figure in two or three weeks I'll put it a side for years (case in point my Desert Campain entry, started in 2004 finished in 2008).
I'll start each new work by listing to ABBA on the CD player. There is a reason for this, the theory is nothing from then on can be any worse.
youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 05:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...I'll start each new work by listing to ABBA on the CD player. There is a reason for this, the theory is nothing from then on can be any worse.

HAHAHA