_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Anti-Skate plating tips wanted
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 2,029 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 10:04 PM UTC
I am in need to make some anti skate plating for my Demag D7.

I know that there is a methode here on Armorama

https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/18

But the problem is that I need the plating now and not in a few days/week.

Dos anybody has a quick tip on how to make such plating?? Pretty please :-)
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,007 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 10:34 PM UTC
Ronny, you could try this method. Try to find some aluminium mesh (I found some at a car parts store, they use it for filling holes in body-work). Then take some aluminium foil, lay it over the mesh, then burnish it with something suitable, ie. a paint brush handle. Its then just a mater of cutting to shape and glueing down. While the pattern may not be exactly right, it will give a non-slip look.

As an alternative to the mesh method, and depending on how much you need, you could also try to find some anti-skid patterned parts on other kits and burnish the foil over that.
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 2,029 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2003 - 04:27 AM UTC
Geoff,

You gave me a good idea, I went to my local arts and craft shop and got me a PLASTRUCT sheet whit a embossed anti skate profile but damn it was not cheap.

I payed 8,60 Euro for a A4 sheet. So I want to make it last as long as possible.

I tried to put some aluminum kitchen foil over it and after burnish the details came out perfectly.

Now I want to know if there is a good way to harden the alu foil? so that is a bit resident to handling and painting, putting glue all over the surface? which glue?
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,007 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2003 - 07:03 AM UTC
I have one suggestion for stiffening up the foil, coat it with PVA white glue. I've not tried it myself but it might just work. As for an adhesive, Micro-scale do a foil adhesive in their range. Even PVA might be strong enough to hold, if its not going to be under any strain.
 _GOTOTOP