_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Zap A Gap Glue Surever
Army
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 96 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 08:19 AM UTC
I need to switch brands of glues due to my glue brand is no longer available. I use cyanoacrylate glue that is thick and only takes 10-25 sec to take hold. I heard of the Zap-A-Gap brand from Pacer and was wondering if those of you who use this brand can give me a thumbs up or down since I need to re-stock.
I dont like runny glues as they are messy . I prefer thick glue that can also fill small gaps.
I also would like to know if they make a remover and an accelerator and how good they also work for you.

Thanks in advance
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 893 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 08:45 AM UTC
Hey, L-T,

I've tried a few different branks of super glue and Zap a Gap is the best CA glue I have used! I use the thick stuff, the thin stuff, and the slow setting stuff (this last is my least favorite as it can dry faster than one would think)... I also use their Zip Kicker Accelerator (smells like roach spray, bringing back bad memories from growing up in the Bronx), and Z -Debonder, which both work great!! I heard that they make a gel formula, which I plan to grab up on my next Hobby Shop visit...

I use these glues on resin and plastic kits --- they rarely disappoint!!

And yeah, it WILL sure stick your fingers together...

Hope this helps!

Aloha

Johnny B

Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 08:57 AM UTC
Army, I agree with Havoc. You may proceed with confidence. Pacer's products are certainly good quality. They have a very wide variety of super-glue products to choose from.

Their website: Pacer Technology

As far as accelerant, yes. For removal, simply use finger nail polish remover...alot cheaper.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 10:41 AM UTC
One more testimonial for Pacer's ZAP product - I've never had a problem with the thin or the thick super glues, accelerator, or debonder.

Gunnie
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 10:56 AM UTC
Ditto above. I use Zap A Gap and if a bit thick is what you're looking for - that'll do it. It hold nicely and is pretty easy to work with.

I'd say Thumps UP
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 11:53 AM UTC
Another vote for Zap-A-Gap green and zip kicker for really fast applications. One shot of kicker and the bond is done. I've been using "micro brushes" tp apply it, rather than the spritz top. The downside is heat generated by the process which can melt stretched sprue and burns likes hades if you have glue on your finger and get some kicker on it.
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 1,966 Posts
KitMaker Network: 297 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 12:00 PM UTC
Ditto to all the above, and I have used the gel. It is great for the tiny pieces of PE and resin when you don't want the thinner stuff running here and there.

Mike
Army
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 96 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 12:38 PM UTC
Well it seems it Unanimous......You all love the Zap stuff
I will go out and get some tomorrow

Thank you all for your input
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 03:26 PM UTC
I love the Zap a Gap ca glues. I usually have a bottle of both the quik and the slow and thick
jejack2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 322 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 12:35 AM UTC
I too use the Zap stuff....I just got a bottle of their "Odorless" formula. While it doesn't smell as bad as the Zap-green, I can't tell if it has an "odor" (I'm so used to smellin the green stuff). The only thing I have found about the "Odorless" is if you put a little dollop on some tinfoil, or an old paint jar lid (so you can dip an applicator in it and use it) it tends to "gum" up and set much faster. However Army, I think it might be a little thin for what you are looking for. But no strong odor keeps my wife happy.

J
 _GOTOTOP