_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Filipino Modelers Phorum
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Increasing our ilk - how?
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 03:24 AM UTC
Other than being polygamous or making your girlfriends/commonlaw wives/legal wives tired, how do we increase our ilk - model builders? Any ideas?

I sometimes have bad ideas thinking that we're getting smaller and smaller, as the Playstation and Crushgear toys are more 'receptive' to children rather than the challenge of building a nice model - even 1/144.

Cost is of course a big stumbling block - most kits out there are too expensive for the average kid.

The idea that you need to go through instructions and then find out you need to buy paint for the model as well as a substance called liquid cement are also deterents for many younger folk.

And finally, the existence of some 'monsters' out there who, without batting an eye lash, would dismiss a beginner's model as junk, just because it's not painted right, that it lacks PE, it's a bad subject, etc. etc.

So, how do we increase our ilk and further our ilkdom? More clubs? More shows/contests/exhibits in malls and/or schools?

Sometimes, I find meself smiling when I see what appears to be a 2nd year highschool kid entering a model shop (normally that'd be Accurate at SouthMall), scanning the boxes of 1/144 kits, getting one, opening it, inspecting it, then continue to do so for several kits until he decides what he wants and goes to the cashier and pays for it. Heck, it's small, it's Academy, it's cheap, but hell it's a start! Seeing such a kid reminds meself on how I started in this hobby (or addiction) :-)
blitz
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 502 Posts
KitMaker Network: 432 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 12:54 PM UTC
i think the issue here is INTEREST & AWARENESS.. presummably most of us here
in our discusssion group are young (except me of course heheh)so halos lahat
are really hooked up on kits.. the way i see some have outgrown or got bored,
others sad to say have succumb to modelling due to the increasing prices of kits.
I have posted a bit on subject of competition (nasa shops in manila)somehow i am also
considering this as a means for building interest to the younger generations, my generation and the generation ahead of me.(i consider myself
in the generation of after-market era)without competition, .it's just that
we cannot get others to like model making , competitions attract people which really advertise or relay to others. as modelers it is a way for us to show off our hards work and of course to see our fellow modeller's work.. but others really don't understand what the hell we are doing.we usually get mock or ridiculed and think that we're just wasting time playing with toys..(don't you just hate it..)
.it's just that they have to see and feel exactly what we are doing. Modelmaking in the
Philippines is still in its infancy,(is it??) -thanks to model shops and iraq war people were a bit educated
admittedly though a lot of us filipinos are creative and artistic by nature.....it's just that we really cannot force others to love what we are doing...or they shy away because they're afraid to try..
actually we always tackle this issue ...before(in club meetings)..another
issue here to consider are model shops. back then were only a couple of stores and they just come and go!! Just like you Gi i find myself in a situation where i see kids appreciating models so like you said GI who knows you might be the kid i saw a
couple of years back haggling on a tamiya kit.
Winston Chua started his own model shop sharing a small space in his
father's variety store in avenida rizal, then a couple of years later move
to his own store which only measures (roughly)16 sq. mts. now as we all
know it STC have grown into 6 branches(Avenida, SM West, Ali MallCubao,
Rustan's Cubao, VirraMall Greenhills and Festival Mall in Alabang)kaya nga
dumami league nang modelling ..it's really up to you guys..again happy modelling.. to quote a modelshop
sticker..(nagsara na yung shop ) - " i love models,say no to drugs,"
lonewolf
Visit this Community
entire network: 478 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 07:48 PM UTC
Comrade GIBeregovoy,...

I am one of those guys (small in stature, but has the look of a 21 year old, but actually younger in age..) who always visit Accurate Model Works in SM SouthMall and browse the boxes... But there's darn to much mechanics there..Not much of figures....

Were you there last Sunday? Where a boy clad in all green was browsing through the figs and finally decided to buy a 1:35 Academy WW2 German SS in Russia 1944?

Yup..The issue of expanding our influence concerns me too...

Modeling is costly...And I think most children do not have patience to complete and spice up a model...T_T It's very sad...

As based from my observations, children are attracted to the things they see on TV...

And they prefer those "interactive" type hobbies, where they could interact with othewr fellow hobbyists and compete with them..(Remeber the Tamiya Mini 4WD craze? BeyBlade, Crush Gear Turbo and other stuff?)

And they want it simple, like snap the parts together and they're done...

And you're right..There are those perfectionist guys who would not apprecite a beginner's work...Everyone was once a newbie...

Like you, I also feel happy whenever a guy inquires about modeling equipment at hobby stores..T_T Makes me shed tears of joy...

I think we should have more exhibits to inform the country that such hobby exists...

Or we could take down all forms of media here in our country! And force every TV station and Radio station to air nothing but World War 2 movies! Bwahahahahahaha! #:-)

Just kidding...I got carried away...But this issue is serious...

But even though we exert our efforts, in the end, it's really up to the person... He's got to like, and love the hobby...To continue building...He's got to enjoy it...

But I'm with you guys!

Twagin nyo lng ako kung may idea na kayo...I'll see what I can do to help increase our ilk!

GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 09:29 PM UTC
Blitz: that sticker is still there at STC.

Lonewolf: nope, wasn't there last Sunday, was there last week Friday I think.

Looking at it now, me thinks it's somewhat a good idea to have those Tamiya mini-4WDs, Crush Gear toys, and Zoids sharing shelves with the models. Some kids might veer their eyes and see all those kits and one of 'em might be curious as to what they are. Sad thing is that most kids nowadays prefer 'action toys' rather than spending some spare time building a small kit. They also get disappointed when they realize it's not motorized.

Oh well...

I must admit back in 1990s it was the Gulf War that helped spur my interest in the hobby. Well, after Operation Enduring Freedom and Telic, maybe some kids out there might be interested in building a Humvee or a Challenger II.
lonewolf
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 12:05 AM UTC
GIBeregovoy? The Gulf War got you in the hobby? Hmm...

As for me, I remember my firt kit was a F-16... I was in Prep back then...(I was six years old...) But I messed up the kit... It required glue, and I didn't know how to fix it...I don't know what has become of it now...Can't find it anywhere...

I started serious modeling about two years ago.. I started painting Gundam models, and anime girl models...

After getting addicted to World War 2 games, such as Medal of Honor and Commandos, I widened my modeling experience and ventured into the world of military modeling...

And here I am now...After 4 military figs and a diorama...

Yup... Kids really prefer action toys...That's a sad thing...They do not now how great the feeling is when one assembles and paints pieces of plastic stuck to a sprue...

The feeling of satisfaction when you bring life and color into a piece of plastic....
blitz
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 12:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Blitz: that sticker is still there at STC.

Lonewolf: nope, wasn't there last Sunday, was there last week Friday I think.

Looking at it now, me thinks it's somewhat a good idea to have those Tamiya mini-4WDs, Crush Gear toys, and Zoids sharing shelves with the models. Some kids might veer their eyes and see all those kits and one of 'em might be curious as to what they are. Sad thing is that most kids nowadays prefer 'action toys' rather than spending some spare time building a small kit. They also get disappointed when they realize it's not motorized.

Oh well...

I must admit back in 1990s it was the Gulf War that helped spur my interest in the hobby. Well, after Operation Enduring Freedom and Telic, maybe some kids out there might be interested in building a Humvee or a Challenger II.

Gi , i was refering to one model shop in greenhills .. BM models.. it was just near STC models .. they usually sell after markets products (Verlinden Products)and other hard to find items but after 6 months they finally gave up...and closed shop
shonen_red
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 06:41 AM UTC
I share in your problems!

Once I was also one of those kids. I collect and play with Transformers. Then I started to like something better. I like to build up things. Without knowing it, building LEGO toys makes me one step towards plastic modeling. Ever since I bought one LEGO toy, I've enjoy building this and that. I received an F-117 Nighthawk 1/72 scale (Manufacturer Unknown) on my birthday. This was a challenge for me. It was not snap on. I felt so bad that I thrashed it ! I started collecting Zoid model kits. This time, I had my father to cut the pieces together. Then I remember one time, a friend of mine back when I was nine introduced me to "almost plastic modeling" which is Gundam. At the first few years, I build them, I played with them, but I didn't paint them. I feel that they're still toys. But I guess I'm wrong... I saw on the box the colors were not the same as my assembled kits. So I used liquid paper as an alternative to white cause it is the color I need. One time, I broke a kit while playing it. That was the time I care for these models. Whenever a part is broken, I mend it with Mighty Bond.
One time, when I was buying a kit at STC Alabang, the nice Korean owner (Looks like a Korean) told me to buy these Gundam markers. I saw it fine and I bought it together with the MG 1/100 Nu Gundam. I started outlining the models, the face, and everything that needed it. This time, I get close to plastic modeling. Whenever we go to Festival mall, I always buy these Gundam Markers as tools for painting my models. Then I tried an AC, Airfix's Panavia Tornado GR1B 1/48 scale. I used all of my skills but I've used a wrong adhesive. I used glue gun. That was my biggest mistake. I continue on to my Gundam collection. This time, I bought paints. Testors to be exact. I used the technique called "finger painting". A little bit success for me those days. Then anoter thing help me out to the real plastic modeling, buying paints, brushes and spray cans. I started collecting now resin Anime figs. Upon finishing that kit, I turn on to Anime figs but Gundam collecting is still on my list. Now I started AC models. My Sea Harrier look good for a beginner. As one year has passed, I built the Nighthawk (new kit). In a short span of time, I built Academy's 1/72 A10-A Thunderbolt II in a month. Now, Tamiya's Fulcrum A has been built within 3 days. Now, I know the essence of modeling.

We are here because we want to live the hopes of our war ancestors. We want to make a tribute to them. We revive the planes they flew, we roamed with the tanks they used. We revived the Allied triumph over the Omaha beach. We must live on the modeling experience! We are not losers! Tell everyone that we are modern day heroes! We share the experience of the soldiers out there. We had become hungry, thirsty and tired as these soldiers. We aim for victory. We are modern day heroes! Our paints and sandpapers are our tools! We show these people how hard war really is from our dioramas. We are not looking for war. Instead, we show them what is to be at war.

Oh, I've noticed I posted a long thread. Sana may kugnayan pa tong naisulat ko hehehe

I'm always here to support you guys! Like in STC model kits: "Get addicted on modeling and not on drugs" PLASTIC MODELING LIVES ON!
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 06:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As for me, I remember my firt kit was a F-16... I was in Prep back then...(I was six years old...) But I messed up the kit... It required glue, and I didn't know how to fix it...I don't know what has become of it now...Can't find it anywhere...

I started serious modeling about two years ago.. I started painting Gundam models, and anime girl models...

After getting addicted to World War 2 games, such as Medal of Honor and Commandos, I widened my modeling experience and ventured into the world of military modeling...

And here I am now...After 4 military figs and a diorama...

Yup... Kids really prefer action toys...That's a sad thing...They do not now how great the feeling is when one assembles and paints pieces of plastic stuck to a sprue...

The feeling of satisfaction when you bring life and color into a piece of plastic....

We cannot change what they believe in. Everyone is different. Only modelers know what modelers think. Thanks to Armorama for setting us all modelers into one. Maybe there are still other modelers, still in the early modeling experience. It's up to us modelers to change the world. LONG LIVE PLASTIC! LONG LIVE MODELING!
blitz
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 10:59 AM UTC
yes we have different diversions.. but nobody can really match our drive and dedication to models.. i remeber that i started to like models when my dad have all this aurora tanks and h scale trains..
it was my dad who really influenced me..he past away a few years back and i never have thank him for all the tips... now its my two kids who are into models(gundam kits)i just have to past them what i have learned. honestly i really never expected that i will end up working as a modelmaker... (Architectural models) it's just that i have adopted all the tweeks and tips i have learned doing kits..
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 03:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Partly. Partly also because I got my first kit at around that time - a Dragon F-14A Tomcat of VF-84 Jolly Rogers in 1/144. First every model. I remember trying to peel off the stickers. Did I say stickers? Oh, those were decals. Messed it up really. Used superglue. But that started everything - and now, well... :-)

Sayang nagsara ang shop na yan Blitz. Sounded it had potential.
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 07:00 PM UTC
First dapat ma-expose ang bata sa hobby natin. Second dapat may interest sya to the point na mag-commit sya sa addiction na 'to.

And dad ko ang nag-introduce ng hobby na 'to sa akin. Ang first kits ko ay kitbashed tulad ng 1/48 Huey with 1/32 wings, etc. Dati kung gumawa ako puro glue kahit saan, walang pintura, daming seams, mismatched stickers, atbp. Pero nag-enjoy ako. Kung walang kits na pwedeng i-assemble naglalaro kami ng Lego kasama brother ko. At the mercy pa kami of the buying power of my dad. Then I was relocated to other places for high school and college so stop muna ako.

Nung may sariling pera na ako, I passed by Lil's and decided to give it another try. First kit ko was Academy's A-10, a simple kit with sparse details and generally nice fit. Brush-painted muna so medyo pangit. Hanggang ngayon di pa rin tapos. Tapos nung nadiscover ko ang Academy 1/72 200-peso kits, na-hook ako uli sa hobby. Mura lang ang kits. Di masakit kung masira. After a while gumagawa na ako ng 1/35 AFVs. Mas mahal ang kits nito dahil mas malaki ang scale at final product. Sa ngayon dalawa ang preferences ko: 1/72 planes and 1/35 or 1/72 AFVs. Sticking to these two scales maximizes my limited available space sa bahay since I can pose them all in one place and still retain a sense of scale between models.

Ngayon addict na uli ako. Pero ang brother ko, na same halos ang exposure sa kitbuilding nung bata pa, ay iba ang libangan na nahanap. Nasa tao lang din pero dapat may exposure para masimulan.

How to increase our population? Lemme see. Ang gf ko ang gawin kong example kasi may interest sya pero walang patience. Ginawa ko binilhan ko sya ng kit tapos habang inaassemble nya yon may inaassemble din ako para matulungan ko sya kung kelangan. May one time natapos nya yung isang boat model ng Academy. Ninakaw nya ang tools at glue ko, inuwi sa bahay at tinapos sa isang gabi. Better than my first models pa ang labas. Wala nga lang paint pero hanggang ngayon nakadisplay pa rin sya sa sala ng bahay nila. May mga 1/144 planes sya na dinadala sa office dati. Ngayon Gundam naman ang interest. Pansin ko mas gusto nya mabilisang build para di sya mainip. Ngayon standby lang muna sya kasi wala pa syang kit na available. Tiyak kung bibilhan ko sya ng Gundam na maliit gagawin nya agad yon. So kung may bata or kaibigan na may interest, i-sponsor nyo siguro muna. Alam kong money is better spent on our own kits pero ilan sa atin ang guilty of stockpiling kits we will never build. Kung hiyang sya sa hobby then ok! Kung hinde, move on to the next prospect.
lonewolf
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 08:02 PM UTC
Ako rin dati, ganun... Naiinip ako...Kaya gusto ko kaagad ng mabilis tapusin... Pero kapag nakikita ko yung pictures ng model sa manual, eh naiinggit ako sa kulay at perfection nya..

Kaya napagdesisyunan kong mag model at magpintura ng maayos..^_^

Eto ako ngayon...At sa Gundam din ako nagsimula...

Ako, hnde ako nagi-i-stock pile ng kits...la kse akong pera pambili..

Atsaka ayaw kong bumili ng kit habang may unfinished project pa ako...Wala lang...Gusto ko kseng tapusin yung model bago ako bumili ng bago - sort of loyalty ko na rin sa model...^_^
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 08:10 PM UTC
Ako medyo guilty sa stockpiling pero konti lang naman ang unbuilts ko (3 to be exact). Iniisip ko kasi baka maubusan ako Ngayon may four projects ako at the same time: weathering ng M88A1, preparing Zelda for interior painting, preparing 1/72 Academy Fw190A for painting, and building Trumpeter Type 89 122mm rocket launcher. Sana this weekend may matapos man lang ako kahit isa
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 08:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ako rin dati, ganun... Naiinip ako...Kaya gusto ko kaagad ng mabilis tapusin... Pero kapag nakikita ko yung pictures ng model sa manual, eh naiinggit ako sa kulay at perfection nya..

Kaya napagdesisyunan kong mag model at magpintura ng maayos..^_^

Eto ako ngayon...At sa Gundam din ako nagsimula...

Ako, hnde ako nagi-i-stock pile ng kits...la kse akong pera pambili..

Atsaka ayaw kong bumili ng kit habang may unfinished project pa ako...Wala lang...Gusto ko kseng tapusin yung model bago ako bumili ng bago - sort of loyalty ko na rin sa model...^_^

Ako naman contrary to lonewolf's idea. Mahilig akong mag-istock ng models kasi tong mga models na to are rareties. You can't find them in local hobby shops. May mga unopened kits na nga ako na 3 years old na eh. Ngayon ko lang sya ulit ginawa. I love to collect and connect. I remember my father brought me into the modeling universe. Transformer toys are transformable so I get the idea of building it. Tapos binilhan nya ako ng LEGO toys. This time, na-enjoy ko lalo ang pagbubuild. Then Zoids, Gundam, then to AC's. Proud ako to be a modeler.

How to increase our ilk? Hmmm.... I guess Jeepney is right. We need to assist them. Syempre, kapag walang assistance ng pro, mahihirapan sila. Pwede ring magsawa sila kasi sasabihin nilang "hindi sila magaling" and they try to do something else that will excell them.
blitz
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2003 - 03:22 AM UTC
jeepney there's nothing wrong with stockpiling .. ang masama yung nag ho-hoard hahaha.. believe it or not may isang pinoy(older than me,syempre kaya nakakabili) ...isang room para na ngang bodega puno-puno nang kit he usually buys 10 of each kind pag type nya yung kit ..especially israeli or modern us.. but the thing is he never builds the kit...hmmmm baka magtatayo nang hobby shop..hint: suki sya ni natalie(meron din model tsimis hahahah)..he's really a nice guy pero we always wonder and ask him what's he gonna do with all those kits...well pwede natin syang i-classify sa model collector? i was also a stockpiler, i have 2 of each kind and have it in our walk in closet.. the thing is i sold it kasi i really do not know what to do with them..and left only a few kits i like.. tama nga siguro i was really hooked up sa kits. so lesson ko ..know how to control .. ayan ha! "a confession of a model addict"
i really met alot of people who were hooked up sa model so we don't have to be ashamed in what we do .. i know a modeler back there who named his kids PANZER and ROMMEL(nicknames)
okay about ur gf..para lalo syang ma-inspire. may kasama rin kami sa club namin before and she's more into cars..magaling sya, she won some awards in transhow...so it means it not really a man's hobby wala naman pinipili. oo nga pala asawa nya pala modeler din...so ayan pareho na kayo ma-iinspire...
so again ala nga ako sa pinas pero syempre true blooded pinoy ako so if you guys need any help, or ako naman humingi nang tulong... andito naman yung forum eh....and hopefully meet you guys....
Fritz
Visit this Community
entire network: 495 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2003 - 03:59 AM UTC
Hello everyone!
I know one expert modeller who I think doesn't know Armorama. He's in the hobby for a very long time now. His name is Frank accdg. to my dad & he's the manager of Lil's Megamall. Expect to find him in the shop almost anytime but before you call him take a look first at his work just in display in the window & in the shelves inside. You may get a lot of stuff from him when you become a friend of his.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 01:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello everyone!
I know one expert modeller who I think doesn't know Armorama. He's in the hobby for a very long time now. His name is Frank accdg. to my dad & he's the manager of Lil's Megamall. Expect to find him in the shop almost anytime but before you call him take a look first at his work just in display in the window & in the shelves inside. You may get a lot of stuff from him when you become a friend of his.

Oh yeah, those are awesome kits! Did he really made all of those?
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 11:29 AM UTC
DON'T GET ME STARTED ON STOCKPILING!!!!!

If you only could see me cabinets... full of ye rich treasure!

Hey, I build 'em from time to time, having several unfinished, half-built, started kits just dying to get my attention now...

YOU GUYS ARE MAKING ME FEEL GUILTY!!!

Quoted Text

How to increase our population? Lemme see. Ang gf ko ang gawin kong example kasi may interest sya pero walang patience.

Y'know what, that line, if read in a certain point of view, could lead to some wild, bad imaginations. #:-)
blitz
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 01:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

DON'T GET ME STARTED ON STOCKPILING!!!!!

If you only could see me cabinets... full of ye rich treasure!

Hey, I build 'em from time to time, having several unfinished, half-built, started kits just dying to get my attention now...

YOU GUYS ARE MAKING ME FEEL GUILTY!!!

Quoted Text

How to increase our population? Lemme see. Ang gf ko ang gawin kong example kasi may interest sya pero walang patience.

Y'know what, that line, if read in a certain point of view, could lead to some wild, bad imaginations. #:-)

heheheh --- ur imagination is going haywire
vss
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 63 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 05:39 PM UTC

blitz- i still have that sticker.. "have fun, build a model, B&D Hobby Crafts. Say no to Drugs". i know the owners, though i forgot their names na...naging neighbors ko sila after closing the shop and at that time they still have some of the models in there house pero i was at a lull in modeling that time..sayang. i love their shop kse puro after market, i bought most of my verlinden stuff from them. sana may mag open ulit na store na ganun...
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 12:32 PM UTC
Gennady's going haywire! Btw, food coloring can be sprayed from an airbrush hint hint
blitz
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 02:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

blitz- i still have that sticker.. "have fun, build a model, B&D Hobby Crafts. Say no to Drugs". i know the owners, though i forgot their names na...naging neighbors ko sila after closing the shop and at that time they still have some of the models in there house pero i was at a lull in modeling that time..sayang. i love their shop kse puro after market, i bought most of my verlinden stuff from them. sana may mag open ulit na store na ganun...

hey vss .. you do remeber that store sayang ...nga no what's the owners name again..??
vss
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 63 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 09:29 PM UTC
blitz- yup, sayang talaga yung store..it was one of my fave hobby stores back then, imagine i visit that place every weekend.

i really cant recall na there names... sayang
lonewolf
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 12:08 AM UTC
Lately, I've been meeting fellow military modelers in our ROTC meetings....There was a fellow from the second brigade, according to him he's been doing armor for three years...There was also a figure modeler and one lady NCO who's been working with model aircraft...I told them about our community here, but it seems na they forgot that I did...Anyway, hahanapin ko ulit cla.....Sasabihan kong sumali satin...pra masaya! ^___^
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 01:10 AM UTC
Ayos! Looking forward to meeting new modelers in this site!
 _GOTOTOP