_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Do you enjoy going to model shows?
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 04:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The one thing I am tired of is seeing hobby compititions like paintball and RC racing have compititon shows with large award winning purses.

So I am thinking of asking the local IPMS if we could add a little more to the 2010 IPMS Show here in Phoenix Arizona. 500.00 1st prize cash award plus a 200.00 to 500.00 gift certificate to our store. 2nd place prize is a 200.00-500.00 gift cert. to our store.

I would like to see these 2 awards go to the AFV that looks to be as realsitic(if thats a word) as we think it should be.

Whats your opinion?

While this is a most generous offer, I don't think that would fly at the Nationals. The NCC is a pretty conservative group when it comes to changes, and what you're suggesting is a significant change. My club has a number of awards sponsored by members for things that spark their fancy, but these get the same as first place/gold as everyone else.
I can see some major griping come award time...$500 for most realilstic armor and $0.00 for Best in Show. More problematic would be if you chose to award this to one armor piece and a different one took best in show.
I'm assuming your store is on-line and not just a brick and mortar operation. A $500 gift certificate given out at 10:00 pm on Saturday will be quite useless to someone flying out at 9:00 AM the next morning.
I'd suggest bringing this up where you'll get feedback from those who are likely to attend Phoenix in 10, i.e., on the forums at IPMS/USA. You must be a member of the IPMS/USA to post there, however.
 _GOTOTOP