_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Help me before I kill my wife! Just Joking...
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 12:26 PM UTC
I am getting VERY impatient with her these past few days...... As most of you know we are trying to sell our home and live to retired life in our RV. Well for some reason she thinks that I need to scale down my hobby even more than what I have done already, which is down to just figures and ONLY 2 boxes of books and that is really pushing it for her. Her thoughts are to not have any stuff from our home in the RV just in the truck that we are towing. But unfortunately the truck and RV will be packed to the gills with, as she puts it "more inportant things" So now she says that all I can bring is maybe 1 box of books and just some of my tools, THE VERY BEAR ESENTIALS!
I hope you can understand my problem. My question to you all is this, How do you scale down a [15 drawer craftsman] tool box of valuable and needed tools into the bear esentials? OK you guys, give me your thoughts and make me a tool box to work with. #:-) #:-) #:-)
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 12:57 PM UTC
Oh My.

Here's to you for a great retirement! I'm hoping to be semi-there shortly myself!

Anyone want free in (out)-laws?
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 03:44 PM UTC
As a guy once said,
"My wife told me, "it's the modelling or me!" I still miss her sometimes."
I guess it can be dificult for people not involved in the hobby to understand how it grips the enthusiast. Happy retirement and hopefuly continued modelling.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 04:26 PM UTC
heres an idea...

weld the toolbox onto the back bumper of the RV....and another box next to it for the books and kits...

when traveling I see RV's with all kinds of stuff welded onto the back... from bike racks to tables..
Once I even saw one with a wood burning stove on it...

PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 04:49 PM UTC
Make a schedule of which towns that you will be visiting. Use UPS and ship your tools and things to where you will be. If your boxes beat you there, what can she say? You have to always be thinking, or the wives will outsmart you.

Here's to a happy retirement!

Patrick
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 08:04 PM UTC
Easily done, you just donate them to me!!!!
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 2,029 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 08:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

As a guy once said,
"My wife told me, "it's the modelling or me!" I still miss her sometimes."

Tnx Brandy, I showed this to my wife and now I am walking around whith a black eye
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 10:57 PM UTC
BIGGER RV
(++)
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 11:28 PM UTC
I don't know how much you are going to be travelling but maybe one of those "Self Store" units would be an option.
Stormin
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 232 Posts
KitMaker Network: 49 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 11:31 PM UTC
Wolf-Leader,
to win in this battle you have to adopt a new stategy, which is,
Step 1. build your self a 1/1scale Jeep & trailer.
Step 2.In the trailer you keep all your kits, tools & reference books.
Step 3.Like the old Tamiya kit of the ford Mutt, put Convoy Follow's on the windscreen and let her follow you in the RV, problem solved. #:-)
If this does not work then tell her to scale down what your good wife is putting in the trailer " her important things to 1box and some tools" lol. If this then doesn't work see step 1.
All the best on your retirement and hope you get to keep your stuff even if it is limited.
Kenny.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 11:40 PM UTC
In the features section of Armorama, I did an article on a modeler's tool box with the basics. Since you do figures, you may not need as much stuff, but the tool box I use is of moderate size.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 11:48 PM UTC
Well The fun thing of an RV is that you can stack up an enormous amount of stuff that you cannot put in the RV itself. So stack them up a waterproof cloth over it and a strong rope would do the trick.
Same with what delbert said If you weld the toolbox onto the bumper then you also have place to stack up other stuff hehehe I think that gives a nice insight in my room isn`t it. '

Or removing the sparewheel delivers some space to put some stuff but you might think twice before you do that :-) :-) :-)

Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2003 - 02:42 AM UTC
OH by the way I forgot to tell you, she absolutely does not want anything tied on the roof, ladder or bumper of the RV. She says it looks trashy. So "everything must be put in the truck or it does not go"! Most of the storage compartments are full due to that we have all of our vacationing stuff in it.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2003 - 02:55 AM UTC
Hey Wolf, i was just gonna suggest welding some Bradley storage racks to the side of the RV but since she thinks it trashy, who an I to suggest anything? What you could do as well, is to secretly take out the roof air-conditioning system and use it as storage space. This would by necessity mean that you could only really visit the cooler states of the US, but what the hell, Alaska is really attractive.... Jim
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2003 - 03:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

BIGGER RV
(++)

smaller wife ?
 _GOTOTOP