Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Marine Corps Basic Training
jakal72
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 19 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2003 - 08:08 AM UTC
I leave for basic training on 26 of May and Im a little nervous.I meet all the requirements but is there suprises any Marines can tell to be prepared for and get a head start before everyone.How does a hairy guy like myself who can grow a beard in three days shave and keep a clean face.
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2003 - 11:42 AM UTC
The best of luck and good wishes to you Jakal72. Marine Basic will be a real test, as it has been for centuries. Yes, there will be surprises, and they are meant to test your reactions, your judgement, and your fitness. You prepare for them by listening very closely to your DI, who, in his godlike fashion, will prepare you for the day you pin the globe and anchor on your collar. I am sure you will do fine, but be prepared to be dog tired for a couple of weeks, as you acclimate to the process.

Good luck recruit, and Semper Fi!

Mike

(P.S. - start learning to shave real close)

Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2003 - 12:19 PM UTC
Advice: Watch, listen, keep your mouth shut and remember -- no matter what your DI says or does -- IT IS NOT FUNNY. Even if you're not religious, go to chapel on Sundays. Forget about being an individual; be part of the team (the sooner everyone realizes this, the better all of you will do). Don't become or fall in with "barracks lawyers" -- they will only get you into trouble.

About your beard: You may get gigged and have to "pay" with push-ups or some other detail. Don't worry about it. The DIs will find something to gig everyone on. All will "pay" at some point for something. It's part of the whole Basic deal. Again, don't worry about it.

You'll do fine. "It ain't nothin' but a thang."

Semper Fidelis, future Marine.

P.S. I'm not a Marine, but I was a soldier for many years and have many Marine friends. I have given this same advice to many who have joined all the services.
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,036 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2003 - 03:39 PM UTC
The main thing about Boot Camp in the Island is no matter what you do 9 times out of 10 it will be wrong. Depending on the DI's mood. and the point they are trying to make. After a while you will figure out what you can and can't get away with.
The physical strains are tough but the mind games are the trickiest part of it. If you can figure them out the rest is a piece of cake.
You will do great and remember everythig and i mean everything you do has a pourpose to get you to the point where you will earn the right to wear that Eagle Globe and Anchor. When you get there it will be like no other feeling you have felt and noone can take it away from you.
Shave really close with the beard and yuo should do fine
Welcome in advance they the "Brotherhood"
lonewolf
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 478 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2003 - 04:18 PM UTC
Good Luck to you, "jackal72"...

If you succeed, you will be the toughest of the tough guys...

You will then belong to the proud Marine Corps defending your country.

No matter how hard the obstacles may be, how early you will be told to wake up, no matter how many times you and your fellow cadets will be asked to line up in the field and get the "treatment", and no matter how many times the Drill Instructor will ask you on how handsome he is, don't give in... You'll only waste your efforts in doing so...

You will be demoralized...You will be threathened..You will be burdened...You will suffer humilation...You will suffer pain...But still, do not give in to the entices of normal life...You have chosen to live in Military Discipline... Be proud! ^_^ Only a few chosen men are worth of the title : "MARINE".

And don't forget about your fellow cadets... You will have to help each other to survive...You will look out for one another, and help each other... All of you must work together as a team.

And obey the Drill Instructor...Remember that everything he does to you and your mates has a purpose...He wouldn't be doing that if it was for fun... You must be broad-minded enough to see that even though he can be sometimes irritating, he is just making you fit and worthy to become the Marine that every aspirant should be...

Good Luck then!

I salute you!
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 04:37 AM UTC
You are the marines! The best men out there! Just one thing:

Obey. Obey everything your DI says and you'llbe the best soldier out.
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 10:19 AM UTC
wow, good luck!!!

oh and

Quoted Text

Even if you're not religious, go to chapel on Sundays

yeah, i dont know if i agree with that, my dad wasnt religous, he never went to the chapel (when he was in basic (1979) just stay back and draw firewatch or something
medic23
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 205 Posts
KitMaker Network: 51 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 11:04 AM UTC
are you in the Delayed entry program? if so GO TO EACH AND EVERY ONE they helped me out alot, but other than that everyone else who's posted in this thread covered everything