_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Cobblestones.
DRAGONWAGON
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 1,041 Posts
KitMaker Network: 298 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 06:52 PM UTC
Hello again, everybody. I know it's a drag...but for the last time, how to make realistic looking cobblestones?
I'm working on a Normandy farm-yard, and it needs some authentic looking cobblestones. Since it's not a rectangular shape, I'm a big No-No on making it.
Please help me out,

FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 07:18 PM UTC
Ola Dragonwagon

I have here a link to the site of Eric Sikkema (deModelbouwer) He has an article about making cobblestone roads and the articles are in dutch.
http://clik.to/demodelbouwer Go to the tips and tricks section and go for the article "een weg met kinderkopjes"
And I can show you my way of doing it I use the Blue styro foam and I scribe in my cobbles
https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/167 It`s the dutch version of the "DISTRACTION greta`s revenge dio That I made for the winter dio campaign here on Armorama. Go to the: "De ruine en het grondwerk" there I explain how to and there are some pics showing my cobblestone road

Hope this is of some help

Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 2,029 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 08:51 PM UTC
Here is another way by Keith Foresythe

DocDio - Cobblestones
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 03:26 AM UTC
I made a cobblestone road out of split peas, much like the lentil article linked to above. It was very cool until a critter in my basement (don't know what kind) ate the street. No kidding. I'll see about posting pics of the after effects of the critter attack. #:-) #:-)
boosahmer
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 651 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 04:47 AM UTC
I am building a dio using the lentil method for the cobblestone street. Check it out
http://groups.msn.com/digitaldioramas/boosahmerswork.msnw
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 09:20 AM UTC
I have an idea for hexagonal cobblestones. Take a sheet of beeswax that is intended for the artsy type of beeswax candle. Make a mold box around it, and pour in the plaster. When you remove your casting, you will have a hexagonal raised effect. Detail some of the casting with your favourite texturing tool. Paint and weather, and presto... cobblestones.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 09:42 AM UTC
Mike, I bet you could pour the plaster right over the beeswax, let it set up and then turn it upside down in the oven and melt the wax out. I may have to try this. Sounds cool. Hope I don't burn the house down...
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 10:01 AM UTC
Sounds neat. Only problem : I saw all possible corners of Europe, but I never came accross a hexagonal cobblestone in real life. They are either square or rectangle, always with rounded corners and rims. Sometimes these corners are so much rounded, that they start to look like round pebbles. But using lentils would show them just a bit tooooo round. When using lentils, I suggest you try to flatten the top surface with sanding paper.

ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 12:41 PM UTC
I've been all over Europe too and I admit I've never seen truly hexagonal cobbles. By heavily texturing the hexagon pattern, you can get a well worn look. I haven't tried this yet, just an idea that I had. I'll work on a test piece sometime and post the results.
 _GOTOTOP